Protein Help

Options
I need some help, please! I don't think I get enough protein-- actually I KNOW I don't get enough protein most days. I'm a vegetarian, so I was hoping for some suggestions on good protein sources for vegetarians! I don't eat regular eggs, but I have been trying to eat liquid egg whites or egg substitute. I only drink soymilk and I will eat some cheeses. Thanks for any help!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Can you have any dairy? Greek yogurt and cottage cheese are great. Almonds also great!
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Beans.

Lentils
  • philiphirons
    philiphirons Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Protein Shake?
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter

Greek Yogurt

Lentils

Some Kashi cereals have a good amount of protein: Kashi Go Lean naturally sweetened Fiber twigs, soy protein grahams, and honey puff cereal....I really like it!

Egg whites
  • erieli04
    erieli04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a GREAT source of protein. Greek yogurt is fantastic too, if you eat milk products. Nut butters are also good. I'm not a vegetarian, but I try to eat as little meat as possible and so I try to supplement with these items when I can.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm a fellow vegetarian and have a similar problem. I ended up getting a jar of Jillian Michaels Natural Whey Protein. It tastes like crap, but I make a glass, pinch my nose, and chug it. 100 cal and 15g of protein. It was $10 at Walmart.

I also eat quinoa which is a great vegetarian source of complete protein.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean naturally sweetened Fiber twigs, soy protein grahams, and honey puff cereal....I really like it!

That stuff tastes like eating strips of cardboard to me. I can't stand it!
  • superflyrbi
    superflyrbi Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder, though I would consider it dairy (so not vegan). Brandon and Stan are right on track too.
  • swinginchandra
    swinginchandra Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    TOFU!!
    It's great scrambled, in stirfries, can even use it in deserts to add some nice creaminess.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    peanut butter
    Greek yogurt
    do you eat fish? tuna or salmon?
  • pattiann603
    Options
    coincidences coincidences, i posted a similar plea for help a few weeks ago. i am not a strict vegan, but as i've gotten older, i enjoy eating meat less and less, and as a singer, i avoid most dairy. when i would log my food, i came up woefully short of my protein goals.

after the suggestions here, i started eating more beans, oatmeal, and varied my nut products (i used to eat waaaaaay too much peanut butter). additionally, i found a great supplier on amazon called supplement warehouse, and i ordered a huge tub of unflavored soy protein and a 12 pack of chocolite protein bars. the chocolite bars i bought are only 95 calories but are a great source of protein and they actually taste good. i put the protein powder in everything from my morning oatmeal to pasta sauce, and i used it to make my own protein bars when i ran out of the chocolite ones.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Hummus, but try a Trader Joe's kind or Emerald Valley Organics. Hummus tastes can vary widely based on the brand.

I think someone else mentioned it, but beans are wonderful protein sources, too. I like black and fat free refried beans.

Another option are meatless products. I like Morningstar Farms in terms of taste, but they are pretty processed and high in sodium. There's always making your own veggie burger... haven't tried it yet but there are a lot of recipes floating around.

GL!
  • true_victory
    Options
    Hemp protein... it tastes nice and suitable for any vegetarian
  • freedomplease
    Options
    I suggest nuts, beans, lentils, and protein powder. But many veggies have high protein--broccoli, spinach, and sone others. Good luck!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Quinoa and lentils go nicely together.
    Chickpeas, hummus
    Nut butters
    All kinds of beans
    Unless you're allergic to it, like I am, soy protein, soy yogurt, tofu...

Getting enough of the right kinds of proteins can be a major challenge for vegetarians. I suggest going to an experienced nutritionist or your doctor to get suggestions or work out a meal plan that ensures you're getting what you need on a daily basis.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Textured Vegetable Protein. It's defatted soy flakes, which sounds gross when you say it like that, but it's actually pretty good. It has no taste on its own, so you can season it any way you like.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all for all the help! I do eat tofu and morningstar products, but all the help was great! Found some things to work into my shopping list next time!