Alesse experiences?

Options
I've just been prescribed Alesse for my period cramps to lessen the pain. I was wondering what you ladies' experiences have been with that and your weight loss journies?

Replies

• tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I have been on Alesse longer than I can remember.
    Other than regular weight gain around TOM - I havent noticed any difference..
    I also havent noticed my cramp pain diminished because of it....
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »
    I have been on Alesse longer than I can remember.
    Other than regular weight gain around TOM - I havent noticed any difference..
    I also havent noticed my cramp pain diminished because of it....

Really?? Well that's ridiculous then why was I prescribed it for that reason ugh
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used Alesse for a while a couple of years ago and didn't have any problems with it (that I can remember).

I think in general, any form of combined hormonal contraception is supposed to make periods lighter and more "manageable". Or at least, it does for many women. ... So maybe that's why they prescribed it for cramps?
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @ErinSot - im not a doctor :) maybe it is supposed to help - but I have been getting worse cramps as I get older... even on alesse...
    That may be just me though.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - are you switching from another brand of OCPs to Alesse or just starting the pill?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Some medications will cause initial water retention and/or an increased appetite. But as long as you maintain your calories at an appropriate level there will be no impact on your weight (other than a possible scale spike due to aforementioned water retention).
  • Zoe678
    Zoe678 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it for longer than I can remember, and haven't had any negative side-effects. I was prescribed it for heavy periods with pain, and it has definitely helped me with that. Everybody is going to be different. Give it a try, and if it doesn't work out, there are definitely others out there that your doctor could prescribe for you in the future.
  • tkdchick2016
    tkdchick2016 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been using Alesse for over 10 years. I went from having terrible crippling pain with horribly heavy flow and horrendous migraines to a maybe 4 day period and very light flow, with almost no pain (just some minor discomfort sometimes) and decreased migraines. I have noticed no effect on my ability to lose weight. I supposed everyone is different so you might just have to see if it works for you. Hope this helps.
  • eringrace95_
    eringrace95_ Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - are you switching from another brand of OCPs to Alesse or just starting the pill?

This is my first time on the pill!
    I have been using Alesse for over 10 years. I went from having terrible crippling pain with horribly heavy flow and horrendous migraines to a maybe 4 day period and very light flow, with almost no pain (just some minor discomfort sometimes) and decreased migraines. I have noticed no effect on my ability to lose weight. I supposed everyone is different so you might just have to see if it works for you. Hope this helps.

That's very comforting!
    Thank you all for your insight :)

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This doesn't have anything to do with your medication, but I found that my period cramps went from unbearable to quite manageable when I cut all caffeine from my diet. It was hard, but absolutely worth it.