Join a gym, or buy a treadmill?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
Well, I'm trying to get into running, however with almost daily snow at this point I can't really run outside. This gives me the choice of joining a gym (which sadly appears to be outside my price range right now since all of the local ones cost at least 80+ dollars a month), or purchasing a treadmill on credit. I saw you can buy them for around 300$ for a low end one. I don't need anything fancy so I think this would do. Plus I'm a bit self conscious about running, because frankly I'm terrible at it - so I think a treadmill would be better.

What is everyone's opinion?

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm trying to get into running, however with almost daily snow at this point I can't really run outside. This gives me the choice of joining a gym (which sadly appears to be outside my price range right now since all of the local ones cost at least 80+ dollars a month), or purchasing a treadmill on credit. I saw you can buy them for around 300$ for a low end one. I don't need anything fancy so I think this would do. Plus I'm a bit self conscious about running, because frankly I'm terrible at it - so I think a treadmill would be better.

What is everyone's opinion?
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Great question!

When I first saw the topic my immediate answer with both. I have a gym membership, and a recumbent bike at home. I use the bike for off days or when the weather is bad or when I just don't feel like going to the gym. But you are asking for a totally different reason.

I too am starting a running program. I run at the gym but I totally suck at it too. It has gotten a little easier but I am still a little embarassed. If you think you can stay motivated at home and the only reason you would want the gym membership would be to use their treadmills, I say buy your own.
    1) It will always be available
    2) You can't get some good treadmills at a reasonable price.
    3) It is a one time payment
    4) Save time by not having to drive to the gym
    5) You cun run naked if you want too :blushing:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience, buy the treadmill!
    I bought and elliptical machine
    I had a gym membership
    Paid dues for 3 years, went to gym 5 x
    Ellip was still there, staring at me each morning. Now I work out on it almost every day.
    You know your own personality. Will you go to the gym faithfully? IF you will, then the gym is awesome!

Have you checked for local 'play it again sports' or places like that? I bought a $1200 ellip machine for $500.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Oh I should also say that the only reason I can afford both the gym and bike is because I bought the bike at a low price with my income tax return last year and my gym memebership is half off through work ($35/month).
  • WISHFULTHINKING
    WISHFULTHINKING Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    ID BUY THE TREADMILL ITS ALOT CHEAPER
    STRTING FROM 142-300-500-1000 BUT IT DEPENDS WAT KINDU WANT ALSO
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I like going to a gym. I grew up with a gym in my basement (my step dad likes buying stuff) and NO ONE USED IT!!! In the 10 years we had it i used it maybe 10 times! My mom even joined a gym...even though we had all the stuff...because she would rather workout there. I like having my workout place and my hangout place separate! But thats just me! Some people work out every day in their homes...I just don't/can't!!! Plus, the gym has stuff other than treadmills!!

Either way, you figure out which way you would exercise the most...and you do that!!!
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    When we moved out of town, we were faced with a similar decision. I used to belong to the YMCA and it was only a few minutes away. I went 3-4 days a week, if not more and participated in multiple classes. I was active on volleyball and basketball teams and really utilized the facilities. When we moved, the nearest Y was now over 20 minutes away, not convenient. There is a small gym in town with a few treadmills, ellipticals and some weight machines and we could join there for the same price.

After comparing the overall costs, my husband and I decided to buy an elliptical machine and a weight bench for our house. We figured that the cost of the gym membership we weren't paying would pay for the equipment in less than a year, and we get the benefit of having the equipment for longer than that.

That being said, I think it's harder to get motivated to workout at home. I'm always finding something that needs to be done instead of going upstairs and doing it. Running outside was easier, but I'm trying to train myself now that there's over a foot of snow on the ground and it hasn't been warmer than 20 in quite a few weeks.

My personal needs led us to get an elliptical rather than a treadmill (we both have knee problems), but ultimately I'm glad we purchased one for our home. I still run outside when the weather is nice, but I have an option to workout whenever I want, no matter what time of day it is and no matter the weather.

I would go for it, or wait a few months and set aside the money you would be paying the gym (or even just $50 a month) and buy it outright. Sorry for the long story, hope it helps. Good luck!
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I am more motivated with the machine right there in the house. Something always happened to keep me away from the gym.
    And I prefer ellipticals....much more of a workout and easy on the knees.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    1) It will always be available
    2) You can't get some good treadmills at a reasonable price.
    3) It is a one time payment
    4) Save time by not having to drive to the gym

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nerver thought about #5 as a perk, but there you go! Enough for me! I vote for treadmill, in the long run it will cost less and if you are like me it is not as easy to blow off using the treadmill when it is sitting in your house. I ususally would use the gym for the eliptical and classes, so I bought an elliptical about 7 years ago and just pay individually for yoga classes. You can do most gym stuff at home.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I like the convenience of the home...but...I would jog on that $300.00 treadmill for about 20 minutes before I bought it.....no sense in buying it if you wont use it and my experience with an exercise bike is do not go low end....they dont last, they are uncomfortable and therefore will \either break or not be used.....look for a highend but used....they are out there
    good luck
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yeah I say buy the treadmill, then you have absolutley no excuse to not use it. I bought an elliptical 2 years ago and use it faithfully, a gym membership really was out of the question for me, not only for price, but I have 5 kids, so finding a sitter is about impossible, my husband works long hours. I love having my own machine, if was rich, had a bigger house I would have a room full of exercise equipment so much more comfortable working out in my own house. Good luck, I hope you can get one.
  • Lettuce13
    Options
    I would go for an elliptical, it is not only easier on the knees, but you can get an upper body workout as well. I would look in the paper or on Craigslist for a used one. People are selling used gym equipment all of the time.
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    If you decided to buy a treadmill go to a place and at least try it out first. My mom bought one for 300 and some odd dollars and my husband can't run on it. It is too short. Also, alot of the time the cheaper ones have the arm bar that moves back in forth. It drives me crazy to try to run with that. We ended up get a nordic track one about oh.. 4 years ago and spent 1800 bucks on it. It's nice and has held up well, but I could of found one just as good for 900 too.. So try them out, decide wha tyou have to have on yours, and what your willing to spend.
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    If you will be committed to using the treadmill, then that's the option I'd say to go with. I've done both. But with the economy the way it is, I had to let my gym membership expire. I too am just getting into running. If you haven't heard of it, you need to visit www.coolrunning.com for the Couch Potato to 5K training program. It's to help non runners become runners. I just started this week. I don't know how far you live/work from the gym. But I've found that it's a time saver to just walk upstairs to the treadmill. You just have to be determined to use it.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    If you are dedicated enough to USE the gym membership, I'd do that.

If you will not get bored with only having a treadmill, Craiglist you a treadmill!!

Me personally... I love my gym membership. I need the diverse machinery and activities. I'm ADD when it comes to working out. I get burned out on the same exercise over and over. I'd get bored with just a treadmill.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I own a treadmill, a nice 'fancy' one, waste of money! it was around 1500 and no one uses it :ohwell: My hubby and I both go to the gym, it's 13/mon through work. Best 156 a year I spend! The gym has other options weights, free and machine, ellipticals, bikes, punching bag for my bad days and feel like killing someone, jump ropes, everything that a person needs
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Great question!

man-o-man. :noway: i cant. no matter even if i wanted to. :noway: :noway:
    my body jiggles too much and it hurts. i need to have my body heavyly strapped in.

:heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    my body jiggles too much and it hurts. i need to have my body heavyly strapped in.

bwahaharoll.gif
    ME TOO!!!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I bought a nordic track for around $700 on sale about 4 years ago. I've used it every winter and in the summer when it was to humid.
    I love that I don't have to drive anywhere to workout. Wake up, put on clothes, and it's treadmill time!
    For me the gym would be a time sucker. Besides driving there I know I'd end up talking..... more time gone from my day when all I wanted was my workout.