Options
2»

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    afort001 wrote: »
    I have a question and I'm not trying to provoke because I'm new to this, but when people say 200 calories of protein is the same as 200 calories of carbs and it won't affect your weight loss how you get those calories ..... But it takes more energy for you body to burn off protein than carbs. So your metabolism increases if you eat 200 calories of protein over 200 calories of carbs. So you would lose weight eating the protein..... Am I wrong here or misunderstanding ?

They would be wrong. Your metabolism is the sum of four things: Basal Metabolic rate, Thermic Effect of Food, Thermic Effect of Exercise and Non-exercise Activity Thermogenesis.

Pulling the percentages of how much of the energy is spent digesting the different macros from Wikipedia:

Carbohydrates: 5 to 15%
    Protein: 20 to 35%
    Fats: at most 5 to 15 %

So your metabolism would be higher if you replaced carbs with protein, but it would only make you lose fat if it also made your calorie intake exceed your calorie expenditure.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers , I was curious about that
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I would look at it more like to what add versus what to take away to get the most satiety from those precious calories. A good start might be to steer clear of fried foods and lean towards lean protein, fruits and veggies.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rotten foods and ones you are allergic to
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It seems I read burning protein 20% and burning carbs was like 9%

The only source I can find for this is Authority Nutrition, not the best source for nutrition information. How about this:

N Engl J Med. 2009 Feb 26;360(9):859-73. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0804748.
    Comparison of weight-loss diets with different compositions of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
    Sacks FM1, Bray GA, Carey VJ, Smith SR, Ryan DH, Anton SD, McManus K, Champagne CM, Bishop LM, Laranjo N, Leboff MS, Rood JC, de Jonge L, Greenway FL, Loria CM, Obarzanek E, Williamson DA.
    Author information
    Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    The possible advantage for weight loss of a diet that emphasizes protein, fat, or carbohydrates has not been established, and there are few studies that extend beyond 1 year.
    METHODS:
    We randomly assigned 811 overweight adults to one of four diets; the targeted percentages of energy derived from fat, protein, and carbohydrates in the four diets were 20, 15, and 65%; 20, 25, and 55%; 40, 15, and 45%; and 40, 25, and 35%. The diets consisted of similar foods and met guidelines for cardiovascular health. The participants were offered group and individual instructional sessions for 2 years. The primary outcome was the change in body weight after 2 years in two-by-two factorial comparisons of low fat versus high fat and average protein versus high protein and in the comparison of highest and lowest carbohydrate content.
    RESULTS:
    At 6 months, participants assigned to each diet had lost an average of 6 kg, which represented 7% of their initial weight; they began to regain weight after 12 months. By 2 years, weight loss remained similar in those who were assigned to a diet with 15% protein and those assigned to a diet with 25% protein (3.0 and 3.6 kg, respectively); in those assigned to a diet with 20% fat and those assigned to a diet with 40% fat (3.3 kg for both groups); and in those assigned to a diet with 65% carbohydrates and those assigned to a diet with 35% carbohydrates (2.9 and 3.4 kg, respectively) (P>0.20 for all comparisons). Among the 80% of participants who completed the trial, the average weight loss was 4 kg; 14 to 15% of the participants had a reduction of at least 10% of their initial body weight. Satiety, hunger, satisfaction with the diet, and attendance at group sessions were similar for all diets; attendance was strongly associated with weight loss (0.2 kg per session attended). The diets improved lipid-related risk factors and fasting insulin levels.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.
    (ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00072995.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hey I'm working on losing weight trying to get 20 lbs down by October... Let's just say I do weigh 220lbs now and I'm 5'9" at age 22... I'm trying to figure out what foods I should be avoiding to get this weight off.. Or what foods will help to lose the weight!! I have start incorporating some exercise in my day too just a little limited on what I can do because of major lower back pains... Any help or advice would be very much appreciated?!?!

Just eat regular foods. But measure & log your portions. That's the best way to learn. You will figure out what foods are "sometimes" foods & what foods are...."never mind, it's not worth the calories."

I won't eliminate chocolate, but potato chips....so not worth it (to me). But your choices might be different....that's ok.

Fruits & veggies are always good additions. High in fiber & nutrients.....often a "bargain" for the calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Stale and rotten would come to mind.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • organizedrxhck
    organizedrxhck Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm trying to lose30 pounds started p 90x yesterday. I've read many talking about good and bad foods. I personally crave more junk food when I tell myself I can't have it. I truly hope I'm not the only one
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    for me its any food that is less than 3 mouthfuls that equals the same calories as 15 mouthfuls of something equally as tasty,i hope that makes sense? . I like big portions.....so iv banned pastry, butter, deep fried and battered food, double cream, full fat hard cheese. Its easier to ban it completely than to be tortured with just a tiny bit.
    Everyone is different, with some theyd rather have a little of what they love and can stop at a couple of spoonfuls......I cant!
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    No food is problematic, but trying to lose 20lb in 6 weeks is a wee bit ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    But I am doing the calories in and calories out . But I haven't been eating a lot of carbs or sugar. High protein foods make me not so hungry , and sugary stuff just makes me want more sugar.
    Thanks for the responses , I have been doing this almost 3 weeks and have lost 8 pounds . And I'm excited bc I really , for once , don't walk around hungry all the time . Sometimes I have trouble trying to get all my calories in .

There are reasons why it's usually not great to get a huge amount of calories from protein.

So let's say there's a range of 20-50% and you are 200 lb with a goal of 125 and eating 1600.

20% is 80 g of protein (320 calories) and 50% is 200 g (800 calories).

If the goal is 125, it would arguably be beneficial to get around 100 g of protein (to preserve muscle while exercising and on a deficit -- .8g/lb of goal weight). More is fine with most people (without kidney issues, etc.), but there's no real reason for it. And you are sacrificing calories that could be used for foods that provide other sorts of nutrition and, especially, energy (which fat and carbs are better for).

So let's say we have three different sets of macros:

High protein: 50% (200 g) protein, 20% (80 g) carbs, 30% fat (about 53 g).
    High protein, low carb: 50% (200 g) protein, 5% (20 g) carbs, 45% fat (80 g).
    Balanced: 25% (100 g) protein, 45% carbs (180 g), 30% fat (about 53 g).
    Low carb/keto: 25% (100 g) protein, 5% carbs (20 g), 70% fat (about 124.5 g).

Average TEF for each (assuming this is not already taken into account in the calorie counts) is: protein (20-30%, I will use 25%); carbs (5-15%, it somewhat depends on the type of carbs, I will assume a mixed diet and go with 10%); and fat (3-4%, I'll use 4%).

So the average TEF for the three diets is:
    High protein: 251
    High protein, low carb: 237
    Balanced: 191
    Low carb/keto: 153.

So it's certainly not lowering carbs in and of itself that would make a difference. The high protein diet does give you about 60 extra calories over the balanced diet (the high protein low carb one only 46 more calories), but you have to decide if a theoretical number of calories extra burned is worth having to eat 100 g more protein (100 is easy for me, 200 would be a chore) and the various sacrifices of the other macros and possibly effects on the body that would affect energy for exercise, as well as the overall dietary satisfaction.

For me, definitely majoring in the minoring and much more sensible to focus on eating the right amount of foods that independent of TEF I find delicious and satisfying and to make up an overall healthful nutritous diet and make me feel good.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I try not to ban any food or label food as good/bad. I allow myself everything in moderation! If you start telling yourself you can't have a particular food, you're going to make yourself want it even more. Balance is key and you have to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'.

Having said that, if you know your body reacts badly to certain foods, bread for example, then obviously try to keep it to a minimum. Once you start labelling food as 'bad' you'll start beating yourself up when you eat it and it just creates a really unhealthy relationship with food.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I try not to ban any food or label food as good/bad. I allow myself everything in moderation! If you start telling yourself you can't have a particular food, you're going to make yourself want it even more. Balance is key and you have to think of this as a lifestyle change and not a 'diet'.

This isn't always the case though. I haven't once wanted any of the foods I've cut out of my diet/lifestyle change, including alcohol. There are a lot of people who cut foods out of the diet for no reason other than they want to (not because of allergies etc) and have done it successfully.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Avoid foods that take you over your calorie allowance to lose weight. It doesn't matter what foods they are, if you eat too many calories of any food you may not lose as much as you expect.

Also avoid foods that you don't like. No sense in spending your precious calories on something you regret eating.

Foods that don't fill you up. You don't need to avoid them completely, but it's best to balance your diet in a way so you aren't hungry all the time.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't get that "lose x pounds by y", what's the rush, and October has 31 days, it may be possible for you to lose 20 pounds by the end of October, but not by the start of October.

I don't get the "what to eat, what not to eat" - that idea must have come from somewhere, and then you would already know what to eat and what not to eat. (But of course, that is a misconception, so yes, you have every reason to question that belief.)

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight, and some foods and combos and setups make it more easy or difficult to stick to the calorie deficit, but which those are, is individual and you need to experiment on yourself.

Exercise can burn some additional calories, and moving more is great for your health, as long as you don't hurt yourself.
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Spoiled food and food that don't fit your macros and calories. :wink:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

This isn't always the case though. I haven't once wanted any of the foods I've cut out of my diet/lifestyle change, including alcohol. There are a lot of people who cut foods out of the diet for no reason other than they want to (not because of allergies etc) and have done it successfully.

But cutting out something you don't want, isn't the same as telling yourself you can't have it. That is the opposite - it's denying yourself something you want.

Not everybody is aware of how much wording can affect our attitudes, and how our attitudes affect our behavior. Some don't care, or don't react differently to particular wordings, but lots of us do and can use that to our advantage.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

But cutting out something you don't want, isn't the same as telling yourself you can't have it. That is the opposite - it's denying yourself something you want.

Not everybody is aware of how much wording can affect our attitudes, and how our attitudes affect our behavior. Some don't care, or don't react differently to particular wordings, but lots of us do and can use that to our advantage.

And this is why there is no one size fits all approach to weight loss. Everyone reacts differently - some can cut things out just like that and never crave them or want them, and some can't. If you're one of the people who can't just drop those things from your life then punishing yourself every time you have food you've labelled as 'bad' is only going to make you feel guilty and resent yourself for eating those foods - which is not a healthy thing to do and leads to further issues.

It's a super personal thing and everyone can put their opinions in and share what has worked for them - I've found I've had to try a variety of approaches to find something that has worked for me :smile:
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    First, please don't plan too heavily on losing X amount of weight by Y date, especially when you should only count on losing 2lbs/week (max) at your current weight.

You can eat anything you like, though I'd stay away from foods I'm allergic to or don't enjoy. I, for one, am not the biggest fan of salads (what a lot of people think of as the ULTIMATE diet food). I've lost nearly 70lbs not eating them.

Just eat to your calorie goal every day, be as accurate as you can, and be happy with the weight you lose!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This is true for me. Thinking about my diet and realizing I was eating foods I didn't really want to eat -- either because I didn't like them that much (at least for the calories) or would prefer other alternatives or (in some few cases) because the specific foods did not work for me -- is one thing. Telling myself that some food is "bad" or "I can't have it" is quite different, and I don't do that. Approaching it as about what I want is -- again, for me -- empowering and of course if I change my mind I can have the food (although there are lots of foods that I just never eat or so rarely that it might as well be never). One thing I like about the "eat what you want, not what you don't" approach is that I focus as much on what foods I want in my diet, which I actually think is more important for nutrition than just focusing on not eating things. The effect, of course, of including lots of foods I want to be eating is that I will often decide I want to eat them vs. more calorie or less nutrient dense alternatives (whole grain vs. processed or fruit vs. donut, for example). I can do this without telling myself I will never eat white pasta or cookies or so on (and I do eat both, because for me they are sometimes worth the calories and not overall bad for me in moderation).