Exercise options for someone who can't wear shoes...

This may sound a bit funny but I'm currently waiting for surgery on my foot and until I get the surgery I can't wear any kind of shoe! So gym, running, walking is out...I've thought about swimming but that's not the best option for me. Has anyone got any suggestions for something effective but that is low impact on the knees and ankles so I'm not going to wind up with more injuries! I've thought about buying an exercise bike to use at home but not sure if this will be the most effective...and I really need to get my A into G! 3 months until NZ summer! Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Callenetics (blast from the past)

Exercise ball

Adapt any floor exercise so weight is borne on knees ..eg push ups etc

Look up wheelchair / seated exercises

Many gym machines are seated ..if your gym will let you in without shoes of course
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Can you not wear shoes or would weight bearing exercise hurt your foot? Many people walk/run, lift weights barefoot,
  • ladeeda103
    ladeeda103 Posts: 12 Member
    Pilates floor work. So good. You will definitely feel it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What is the problem with the foot?

This info is needed to give you sound advice.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    I've thought about buying an exercise bike to use at home but not sure if this will be the most effective...and I really need to get my A into G! 3 months until NZ summer!

If you're trying to reduce body fat, exercise isn't needed for that. All you need is a calorie reduction. :+1:
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Yoga. Try Yoga With Adriene on YouTube.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I'd still say SWIMMING. The best very low impact workout you can do. Water aerobics classes are good too.
    I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet. Had one surgery already. Don;t want any more.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Suspension straps - TRX or similar. Workout in any area that suits you - eg grass or carpet, and you can control the amount of impact on your legs
  • runrosierunnn
    runrosierunnn Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses...the problem is that I have a screw in there from a previous surgery which has come loose. The location of it means I can't even wear a sock as the pressure is too painful and makes it way worse :s
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Thanks so much everyone for your responses...the problem is that I have a screw in there from a previous surgery which has come loose. The location of it means I can't even wear a sock as the pressure is too painful and makes it way worse :s

I'm lucky so far. The one screwed use to screw my first metatarsal on after they cut it off and ground down the bone, has stayed right where they put it.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    go with the chair exercises then. And seated weights for your arms.
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    When recovering from a broken ankle, I would remove the boot and cycle wearing a house slipper on the injured foot. I had to go slower but could still pedal. This was a stationary bike I bought after I broke the ankle.
  • fposte2016
    fposte2016 Posts: 130 Member
    Bar method DVDs! Full body work out that incorporates stretches and moves from physical therapy and can be done barefoot.
  • runrosierunnn
    runrosierunnn Posts: 3 Member
    fishgutzy wrote: »

I'm lucky so far. The one screwed use to screw my first metatarsal on after they cut it off and ground down the bone, has stayed right where they put it.

That is lucky. I have two screws in each foot - so far only one in the right foot is trying to make its way out, hoping that the left foot will behave!