Food addiction- I need help

I have tried to lose weight several times. All without success. I am addicted to food. It's all I think about. I eat and then overeat. Several meals a day. I've gained 40lbs in the last 6 months. I'm obsessed with food and when I get to eat next. Always hungry, even when I'm not I eat. I feel helpless. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• katrinamarie920
    katrinamarie920 Posts: 4 Member
    I'm the same with you I'm starting my new plan tonight and so worried because I'm such an emotional eater and really addicted. It's scary but we got this!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Food is what? Food is how you stay alive. Maybe try to figure out what like to eat but eat less of it. That is what I did. A food scale was mind blowing!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    I have tried to lose weight several times. All without success. I am addicted to food. It's all I think about. I eat and then overeat. Several meals a day. I've gained 40lbs in the last 6 months. I'm obsessed with food and when I get to eat next. Always hungry, even when I'm not I eat. I feel helpless. I don't know what to do.

I can relate.

When I do the following, I don't feel out of control around food:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated

What does your carb : protein : fat ratio tend to be?
  • kirstenleigh123
    kirstenleigh123 Posts: 16 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I can relate.

When I do the following, I don't feel out of control around food:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated

What does your carb : protein : fat ratio tend to be?

Carb 70:10:20 probably. It's terrible. It's all in my head. I talk myself into eating things. I literally have no control. I'm addicted and it consumes my thoughts. Then I hate myself after I binge but then continue to binge shortly after.
  • hbljo
    hbljo Posts: 3 Member
    I'm with you. I have struggled for years. I now weigh over my top pregnancy weight. I love to cook, cater, and bake!! I love recipes and comfort food. I also am notorious for rewarding myself with food or a bottle of wine. So I totally get food addiction. Lifestyle changes are extremely hard but today I did good. So I literally take it one day at a time. And since cheating on everything else like tests, schoolwork, or spouses is a huge no-no, why did I ever think it's ok to cheat on myself with food! Just empathizing with you and I hope you learn at least to take it one meal at a time my friend!!
  • Heather_71
    Heather_71 Posts: 7 Member
    I can totally relate to this. I was getting to the point where I'd be driving/running errands in the evening and fighting with myself not to stop to get an ice cream but scared to go home because I'd find something to eat there too. I hated Hated HATED it! People would say "just don't have snack food in the house..." It didn't matter. There could be a loaf of bread or yogurt - whatever it is, I'd eat it! Somehow over the last few months, I think I've mostly conquered it. I think I just got to the point where I was so sick of being mad at myself all the time. I started to write things down and read things like crazy. If I wanted to snack, I'd write about it to try to get over it. I'd Google. I'd read forums out here. I made lists like crazy of goals. And things I could do to keep myself occupied from eating food. Sometimes I'd just go to bed early. Really early! Sometimes these things worked, sometimes not. Out here on MFP, I found connections with only a very small group of people so that I could build a relationship with people that I found really wanted to support me. I would text one of them when I felt challenged and she did the same. I took it day by day, sometimes hour by hour. Some days were wins. Many days were losers. But then it evolved into more wins than losses. I still struggle, but it's a far cry from where I was. I set an exercise goal for myself and found my exercise mojo again. That has helped a lot. I'm also trying not to restrict my calorie intake too much. I think that was also a problem for me. The daily intake was too low and then I'd feel like a failure. So I'd be depressed and then eat more. I'm learning now to eat back a portion of my exercise calories and I am more stable which keeps me from snacking. My weight loss is very slow for me, but mentally I feel stronger and physically I feel stronger with my fitness goal. Hopefully some of these ideas will help you, too. Best wishes to you! If you really really want this, you will find a way to make it happen!
  • kirstenleigh123
    kirstenleigh123 Posts: 16 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's an added challenge too because I work in a daycare and there is unlimited access to food all the time! People are always eating around me. I may not even like what I'm eating. But I eat it anyway. I wish they would lock the fridge and cupboards. I'm really hoping to conquer it because I feel like my life is on hold until I shed the pounds, and get my behaviour under control.
  • Jecka987
    Jecka987 Posts: 47 Member
    I had a small problem with overeating for some time. Eating when I wasn't hungry - or even when I was really full. Often feeling like being hungry was the worst feeling and as soon as I had any niggle eating food asap. I was actually scared of being hungry. I worked out this was from getting horrific migraines when I was a teenager if I didn't eat frequently enough, the migraines went away, but the fear of hunger remained. I tried a fast window one day. Having only liquid during the day, and a small dinner of vegetables. I only did this for one day. I just surrendered to the fact that it would be awful. But it was just one day. And it wasn't about starving myself or trying to lose weight rapidly. I tried to be curious about what my hunger felt like, when it was really bad, or went away. And acknowledge "yep I'm hungry, that's the feeling I'm having" then leave it at that. It really helped shift for me what it meant to be hungry. It showed me hunger wouldn't kill me. That I could eat less food, or go without and I would be ok. It has really helped me. I am eating normally again but now when I want to panic eat I remember I was ok without it and I can make choices, instead of having to respond. Anyway I just thought I'd share what has helped me. I know everyone's reasons for over eating are different but this was an interesting experiment for me :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    What is your weekly goal set to? From everything you've said you should start at losing .5 pounds a week to keep satisfied.
  • PinkPaintedLady
    PinkPaintedLady Posts: 67 Member
    I hear you... 3 years ago I lost almost 80 lbs. I jump started my weight loss with a juice fast to experience that actual hunger feeling as well, and shrink my stomach down so I didn't always feel unsatisfied. It worked well, and then I went to nursing school. Now that I'm done I've put on about 20 lbs and I can feel myself losing control. Time to give it another go. We can do this!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    What is your calorie goal set to and what is your current/goal/ideal diet like? You CAN control your feeding behavior if you 1) get in adequate nutrition (enough food, enough of all the nutrients you need, eat regularly, and eat food you like) and 2) decide that is something you want to do.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Honestly, this sounds more like something you need to speak to a physchologist/counselor/therapist about. Could be Binge eating disorder or EDNOS.

Controlling your intake once you've achieved the skills and knowledge about nutrition should NOT be as difficult as you're making it out to be.

With comments like "Always hungry, even when I'm not I eat. I feel helpless. I don't know what to do." and " It's terrible. It's all in my head. I talk myself into eating things. I literally have no control. I'm addicted and it consumes my thoughts. Then I hate myself after I binge but then continue to binge shortly after." it sounds to me like you're dealing with some sort of serious emotional distress and you're coping with food. Similar to how a drug addict needs his next fix, or just does drugs to feel "numb".

This is not healthy behavior and it may or may not subside on your own by continuously having a test with your self discipline.
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    I can relate to your post. There's a reason I'm obese. Hell, i could have written this post, and thought about doing so many times before! The feeling of helplessness, eating past the point of full, to the point of sick, and still needing more. The feelings of self hatred. I agree with rainbowbow, I've thought about getting help for a while now because it feels outside of my control. I do notice that having goals that I"m passionate about (short term goals and long term goals) help me a lot, and the endorphins after exercise help me too. I'm seeing a nutritionist this month, and plan to see what they say from there after we talk about all of this. I'd suggest reaching out to someone, like rainbowbow suggests. Its what I plan to do.

We deserve to be happy with ourselves. Being out of control and that downward spiral isn't "happy." Just know that you're not alone in this, I've got the same problem and I see all these people chiming in who relate as well. This is a legitimate thing, and you can get past it!
  • Ameliegr
    Ameliegr Posts: 15 Member
    It is not only about self control, heck I would say it has nothing to do with self control. I have been an emotional eater for more than 15 years but it's only part of the problem. When you eat a high carb diet, and lots of sugar your body goes haywire. The insulin that is prodused by consuming all this prosseced carbs is what makes you hungry and fixated on food. I started out 6 months ago, and let me tell you the first 2 weeks were the worst weeks of my life. I did manage to overcome it, but the prossess was very slow. At first, I logged for a week what I eat just to see how many grams of sugar and carbs I was eating. My carbs where not that high, but my sugar intake was crazy! I was eating more than 170grams of it daily( on a good day). So Each day I made a goal to eat 10 grams less and it worked. I found out that sugar for me was the number 1 culprit, and it's like an addiction. You cannot go cold turkey with sugar. Gradually reducing the amount works much better. The second thing I did was to pre-plan my entire day. I chose more protein to keep me full for longer, and every day I allowed myself for the appropriate amount of sugar. So I was fixating on the food I had chosen for the day. Whatever you do, don't go cold Turkey. It is better to pre plan all the "bad choices" , because it will give you a sense of control. I am a chocolate addict, so almost every day now I put in a small chocolate that i eat after a meal ( so I won't spike my insulin levels too much) around 250kcals, and when I get my horrible cravings I stuff myself with something that is somewhat sweet, but has complex carbs and not that many sugars. feel free to add me I would be happy to share my tricks with you! Lost 17kg/ 37lbs since I started this.
  • ambalam
    ambalam Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2016
    It sucks feeling like that. I had a mild case of bulimia in high school so I'd wait all day for like one meal, go nuts, and hate myself. Then -fix- it. Idk what the hell I was doing really. I say mild Bc my mom found out and sent me to one therapy session and I cried like a b****. Then I was DONE. I have a terrible relationship w food. My god, I weighed in at 315 before I came back here. But I have a terrible relationship w anything that makes me feel better. Booze not so much, gives me headaches.

So what are you trying to distract yourself from? Do you have depression? Anxiety? Why fill that hole w food? That's what my problem is. I feel bad? Make some pasta! Take some pills!

I'll tell you what's kind of worked for me. Vitamins. B complex, multivitamin, C, omega reds. Whatever else my mom gives me lol. And walking. I'm anxious and was pretty depressed. Water is amazing. It's great in a pitcher w some cut up lemons and cucumbers. Be conscious of yourself and what you're doing. If you can go, therapy. Don't get bored. Clean, learn how to play the trumpet, crosswords, whatever. One day at a time. Its a state of mind. I told myself to stop w the procrastination, quit being so guilty for everything, and just fix it.

Best of luck! I'm a great armchair psychiatrist if you need an ear. No judgement here Bc I'm not exactly perfect if that wasnt already clear. But I'm smart.

• Leesespieces412
    Leesespieces412 Posts: 29 Member
    Thanks everyone! It's an added challenge too because I work in a daycare and there is unlimited access to food all the time! People are always eating around me. I may not even like what I'm eating. But I eat it anyway. I wish they would lock the fridge and cupboards. I'm really hoping to conquer it because I feel like my life is on hold until I shed the pounds, and get my behaviour under control.

Kirsten! I feel like we are one in the same. I've struggled with this my entire life and have yoyo-ed in weight through changing events in my life (high school, college, new jobs, new boyfriends, getting married, etc). I too work in a daycare and have had my share of birthday cupcakes over the years, haha!

I liked a few of the pieces of advice here! Someone said "I was just sick of being mad at myself all the time." That's one of the things that has brought me back to reality a few times. And someone else mentioned exercise and magnesium supplements. I fell in love with running in high school (though I am super slow and still learning), and that was how I lost all my weight the first time. I picked it back up about a year ago along with zumba and multiple other classes my gym offered and that was how I lost weight for my wedding. I had to stop for about a year because I hurt my feet but I've been slowly getting back into it the past few months. It really does help with cravings and afterwards, I feel so relaxed and empty, in a good way. I actually take the magnesium supplements because I used to get leg cramps easily after being dehydrated, but I think they're helping with that too.

I'm sending you a friend request!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    What rainbowbow said is worth thinking about. It sounds like you are using food to cope and might do well talking to a therapist.

If you want to try control first, though -- sometimes it's just longstanding habits and a lack of understanding how to impose structure -- I'd focus on what kommodevaran said.

One thing that worked for me when I started out and was breaking some bad habits was channeling thoughts about food into positive ones -- planning dinner or creating a meal plan or thinking about a recipe that would meet whatever tastes I was wanting.

I also struggled a lot with emotional eating -- what you said about eating food just because it is there and not really caring about the food itself speaks to me. I did that for a while, to deal with stress or emotions or just because it was a habit/seemed like I deserved it or some such.

What helped me with this was cutting out eating between meals and making sure my meals were really delicious and satisfying, as well as nutritious and balanced, of course. As I said above, if I wanted to eat between meals, I'd remember that it wouldn't be that long until the next one or think about how good dinner would be (and maybe plan it if I hadn't decided on it/prepared it yet). To the extent you have time when you are having the desire to eat, I found journaling pretty helpful -- both as a place to do the planning of meals and so on, but also to write out what was going on and remind myself it wasn't really physical hunger.

I also did allow myself, until the desire to eat between meals was kicked, to snack on low calorie things (basically, raw vegetables) as much as I wanted. Pretty soon I figured out that I wasn't really hungry at these times and the desire to just eat between meals went away.