What books do you recommend?

Options
What books have really inspired or helped?

Reading "Move a Little, Lose a Lot" ~ James Levine, MD, PhD at work.... It's got me thinking, moving, and ready to commit to some simple calorie-burning changes.

Mark Lauren (body weight exercise master!) has been an influential author. His 90 "Body Weight Challenge" is amazing.

I thought "Slim By Design" ~Wanskin, was absolute garbage...

What say you?

Add me as friend if you like. New to Community here and looking for motivational folks.

Replies

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I heard Eat Fat Get Thin by Dr. Mark Hyman was good.

Most people on MFP are aware that fat in itself does not make you fat. But the vast majority of Americans, who were brainwashed by the USDA for over 30 years (the brainwashing finally ended last year), still try to avoid eating fat. If this weren't the case, the packaged good wouldn't be screaming "low fat!" on the label.

People think they can gorge on pretzels because they have little fat. Calories? What's that?

And nobody would be eating low-fat mayonnaise. Try a little by itself, and then try a little regular mayo. You will never buy low-fat mayonnaise again unless you are fat-phobic.

The other good thing about fat (for many, not all), is that it can provide more satiety than carbs. It's also good if you are pre-T2 or T2 diabetic because it does not spike blood sugar like grains and sugar do.

I think that's Hyman's thesis.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My first book was "Thinner Leaner Stronger" by Michael Mathews. I learned a lot of diet language and about building muscle in this book. I never tried to build muscle doing any recommendations or how to's from this book though.

Oh yeah, welcome to MFP! :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Oh boo - I got all excited for a thread about books, but then I realized you were talking about diet/fitness books

Me too.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    the only true book and the only book that ever has and ever will matter: THE BIBLE
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Other than cook books I just can't. Now, understanding my behaviour and habit change; that I can get behind.

Habit by Duhigg

https://m.indigo.ca/product/books/dietitians-of-canada-cook-275/9780778802617

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • edival
    edival Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Some favorites of mine:
    • Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore
    • The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Teicholz
    • The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung
    • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (and/or Science) by Dr. Volek and Phinney

Good stuff.
  • BettyEtte
    BettyEtte Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thirty-five years ago, I remember reading "ThinThighs in 30 Days". Anybody remember that one? I've gotten better results with MFP and Fitness Blender.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It Starts with Food
    The Daniel Plan
    Why French Women Aren't Fat
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    The Beck Diet Solution. Enjoying learning how to keep the weight off as I lose it. Not following it strictly, but definitely useful.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Other than cook books I just can't. Now, understanding my behaviour and habit change; that I can get behind.

Habit by Duhigg

Good book, and I'm a fan of cookbooks too.

Also Brian Wansink, Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle, nutrition texts. I also have a soft spot for Walter Willett.

Good book on dieting (that I found inspiring, although it's basically anti diet) is Laura Fraser's Losing It.

Books on mindfulness.

Books on the history of cooking and eating (my latest is about Mexican food in the US, but I haven't read it yet).

Fun TV show (on hulu): Supersizers Go (food in various historical time periods).

Diet book I'd actually recommend even though I hate diet books: Fat Loss Happens on Mondays.

For other books, too bad chit chat isn't really friendly for that kind of conversation (or such is my impression).
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Integrative Nutrition
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves by Bret Contreras and Kellie Davis. Definitely helped me in the posterior department ;)
  • leahambrose12
    leahambrose12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Read the willpower book!!!! So good! Can't remember the author, but it's a yellow book. So helpful. Please read it you won't regret it.
  • tns56364
    tns56364 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I 2nd 'the obesity code' by Dr jason fung. Great book
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    tns56364 wrote: »
    I 2nd 'the obesity code' by Dr jason fung. Great book

I found this review on-line:

"Dr. Fung argues that obesity is not about calories or fat grams or exercise, but about hormones. The main character in his book is insulin, a powerful hormone that regulates our metabolism. When insulin levels run too high for too long, we develop “insulin resistance,” which can make us fat. By identifying the true culprits in obesity, Dr. Fung provides readers with much-needed hope and strategies grounded in science rather than mythology.

Dont' know if he is right or wrong. But let's stop claiming that CICO is settled science. It is not.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Dont' know if he is right or wrong. But let's stop claiming that CICO is settled science. It is not.

It definitely is. It's the law of conservation of energy - in order for your body to produce heat and work (both energy), and to fuel its endothermic reactions, it must expend an equivalent amount (actually, because of the law of entropy, a greater amount) of energy.

In human biology, that energy comes from oxidation of our food or the breakdown of tissue within our body - we have no metabolic pathways to get energy from anything else. If we don't consume enough food to supply the energy our body needs, the remainder must come from stores of tissue within our body. Adipose tissue exists purely for that biological reason.

Now, your calories in and calories out are both just estimates, but the underlying physics and chemistry are indisputable.

Hormones can absolutely drive hunger, leading to a greater urge to eat, and the body can adapt to expend fewer calories (although only to a point), but CICO still applies there.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »

It definitely is. It's the law of conservation of energy - in order for your body to produce heat and work (both energy), and to fuel its endothermic reactions, it must expend an equivalent amount (actually, because of the law of entropy, a greater amount) of energy.

In human biology, that energy comes from oxidation of our food or the breakdown of tissue within our body - we have no metabolic pathways to get energy from anything else. If we don't consume enough food to supply the energy our body needs, the remainder must come from stores of tissue within our body. Adipose tissue exists purely for that biological reason.

Now, your calories in and calories out are both just estimates, but the underlying physics and chemistry are indisputable.

Hormones can absolutely drive hunger, leading to a greater urge to eat, and the body can adapt to expend fewer calories (although only to a point), but CICO still applies there.

A lot of people (on both sides) fail to realize you are arguing the same thing, but stating it differently. CICO always applies, but sometimes you have no idea what the equation being used is. Hormones for some people can have such a profound effect on what we think the CICO equation should be, that it basically renders any chance of predicting it, useless.