Strengthen lower back? Help...

Options
I went to the doctors months ago about lower back and left hip pain.. he said that I need to strengthen my lower back for the pain to stop, and advised swimming or running. I can't really afford to go swimming alot so ive started running, but my back seems to be getting worse! I went for a jog today and could barely walk back. I can't even bend now. It's mainly in my left side but when it bad it's both sides and the middle. Is there any other exercise i can do to help it faster? I don't have weights or a gym membership.. Getting fed up with it now tho. Thanks.

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the core strengthening exercises.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/multimedia/core-strength/sls-20076575

Stop running or try an easier run/walk on soft ground; dirt or grass.

I also suggest gently stretching everything out after you are warmed up, maybe a little Tai Chi.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctors months ago about lower back and left hip pain..

What do you think started it? There are many different causes for back and hip pain.. including foot problems, weak abs, sleeping & work position, scoliosis, etc. The treatment for each is different. If the other posters' advice doesn't help within a few sessions, i'd see a physical therapist or a sports clinic, so the can locate the cause of the problem and prescribe a customized treatment based on what they find. :+1:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Pilates. Changed my life in a lot of ways. Started when I was at dance college and poof, most lower back issues gone. Stopped and lower back weakened and gave me grief again.

Fitness Blender has a lot of pilates based core work and they include back work as well as what we all traditionally think of as core work, which ensure you're actually getting a well rounded benefit from the work.

In fact I did one today and it was quite the challenge even though I'm pretty strong and fit at this point!
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Did you talk with a GP or a Physical therapist? I would see a PT if you haven't already, they should give you exercises and you may find out that the GP is wrong about what you need to strengthen to fix your back pain. My PT had me strengthen my hips to fix the back pain, because my back was compensating for my weak hip muscles.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    @B4Rachael 100%. Get into a PT if at all possible. There are many exercises to target your lower back, but a proper PT therapist will design a plan for what you need.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    B4Rachael wrote: »
    Did you talk with a GP or a Physical therapist? I would see a PT if you haven't already, they should give you exercises and you may find out that the GP is wrong about what you need to strengthen to fix your back pain. My PT had me strengthen my hips to fix the back pain, because my back was compensating for my weak hip muscles.

Great advice to see a PT. I'm surprised the OP's doctor recommended running instead of walking.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Another vote for (gentle) yoga.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What kind of doctor did you see? If you saw a GP, see an orthopedist. If you saw an orthopedist, I'd see a different one because your doctor seems to not be very good because he or she did not give you specific exercises to do to strength your back or refer you to physical therapy. To be honest, I'm really surprised your doctor suggested running when you have lower back pain.

Pilates and yoga are probably good suggestions, but I'd still get a second opinion. Also, if you're going to try pilates or yoga I highly recommend that you take some in person classes so that an instructor can correct your form and also provide modifications. A lot of positions, especially in pilates, can exasperate lower back pain if not done in correctly, and it's pretty easy to think you're doing the positions right when you're not.
  • ReesyIsLivingOnKeto
    ReesyIsLivingOnKeto Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Good info. I have back, shoulder and foot pain at times. Keep in me in the loop ...thx
  • AshleighAnn72
    AshleighAnn72 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I saw my gp. I went to him when it was really bad like i couldn't sit, lie, stand i was crying i couldn't sleep. I got a water bottle and which helped a little bit. That time it was just my left side in my hip and back, i thought I had a cyst burst on my ovary. Then the gp said what I put in main question.
    I've had the pain for probably a year now. When it is bad i cant even roll over in bed without yelling.
    My dad's has suffered with arthritis in his lower spine since he was young... I don't know if i could be getting the same, hope not. Pretty sure it isn't a hereditary problem. I think I'll go back and see a different GP. It seems a little better this morning, I'm just not going to strain myself today.
    I do do yoga. I love it... but when my back has bad day i just can't.
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • janettemillard868
    janettemillard868 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go see at PT or osteopath asap - GP are exactly that General Practitioners. I am still recovering from what I now know as 3 disc bulges and a tear in one of my discs. They are not expensive - around £45, Mine was a sudden onset of extreme pain and completely disabled me. initially I had a displaced Hip and SI Joint, then we found the other bits. Your GP will not be able to identify the problem honestly. You could just have a displacement which can be sorted in 1 or 2 sessions. Well worth the small cost to be out of pain in a very short time and back to normality.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'm not medically trained but from my own experience I'd say that your GP recommending running as a treatment for lower back pain is unorthodox.

My personal (& painful) experience is that lower back pain increases with running - Now, obviously, there are different types and causes of lower back pain and I can see that for some, running may work but for others the high impact nature is going to make like a whole lot more uncomfortable.

You body seems t be sending you a clear message not to run and I would echo the posters who have said get a physio appointment. In the UK this can be a done through the NHS but it takes some patience to get an appointment and there is often a log wait until treatment begins.

I have found that by taking another GP appointment and laying it on thick with "I'm getting depressed" "the pain is unbearable" type stuff and blatantly asking for a physio appointment I got referred. But, if you can afford a private consultation in the meantime that would be useful. (My last bout of back pain I got on the physio waiting list but had three private sessions whilst waiting for my NHS sessions to kick in).

I must say that I have a cautious skepticism with respect to some of the work physio therapists do but in your instance they should help and at least identify some exercises that you can do to get you back on the road to recovery.

Many of these exercises will form part of Yoga and Pilates type movements, and you may find that these are things that you would like to look into in the future but my advice for now would be to get a professional 1-2-1 appointment and take their advice before starting any new exercise routines.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That foam roller could really help a tight hip, too.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Well, I have had 4 back surgeries and the ONLY thing to help build that up where I have no pain and take NO meds at all for it was lifting. Building the muscle up helps as well as losing weight :) Even now, I will never run with it unless of course a zombie is chasing me ;) I have a pool so I swim a lot too which is really good for it to build up. When I started lifting weights, I went slow and made sure my form was good so I wouldn't aggravate it. Never had an issue with my back doing it :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Gustaaf85 wrote: »
    @AshleighAnn72

As someone who is dealing with lower back pain problems since September last year, all i can say is.
    Get a Foam Roller.

I have it now for less than 4 weeks, but it has helped me sooo much.
    I use it about 10 minuts a day and it has done so well for my mobility.

I am actually able to lift again, something i had to stop because of the lower back pain.

I have been to fysiotherapists and they also said strenghten back with lot of stretching exercises and on fitness bal, it did not do much good for me and i could barely lift 12kg dumbells.
    Now back into lifting and this week was able to deadlift 85 kg without pain again.

My Chinese massage therapist is working with pressure points as well (foam roller works same kind of way) and she could realy notice difference between last 2 sessions and that was the time i got the foam roller.
    My lower back had a blockade in the muscles (not just knots, but total blockade) 5 weeks back.
    This week she could feel just a few knots only

Also lot's of stretching together with the foam roller helps a lot.
    Do that before you start working out, you will notice difference

Most sources will tell you not to directly roll the lower back, here's a sample article:
    http://michaelgleibermd.com/news/dos-donts-foam-rolling-back-pain/

From the article:
    "You should never use a foam roller directly on the lower back. It is fine to use a foam roller on the upper back, because the shoulder blades and muscles in the upper back will protect the spine. There are no structures in the lower back that can help to protect your spine from the pressure. If you use a foam roller on your lower back, the spinal muscles could contract and cause more damage than good, especially if your back pain is caused by a condition in the lumbar spine. When using a foam roller on your back, you should stop at the end of the ribcage. Instead, focus the foam roller on your glutes and hip flexors to alleviate lower back pain. Tightness in those areas often contributes to lower back pain."
  • gem677
    gem677 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Have you seen your doctor? Sounds to me like sacroiliac joint problem. Don't run!