Fitbit and an office job

Options
I'd like to hear from any of you guys that own a Fitbit and work an office job.

I currently work in a really active role and have had a Fitbit for 2 years. I easily hit my 10,000 steps by lunchtime in an average working day.

I'm changing jobs at the end of the month and my Fitbit has just broken. The warranty has run out and so now I'm wondering whether to bother buying a new one as my new job is going to be an office job.

Obviously I know that if I go for a good long walk each day then I could hit my 10,000 step target but I wanted to know if you guys find owning a Fitbit while working a 9-5 office job beneficial or not?

Thanks!

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's definitely beneficial. It encourages me to get off my backside and go out at lunchtime, to walk and speak to my colleagues instead of emailing, to be more energetic in the classroom, etc.

It really reminds me on days that I've been stuck at my desk that I've only done 3,000 steps and should make more of an effort.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That's great, thank you :)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think it's MOST helpful when I have an office job. It helps me gauge just how much I sit during the day. I had always assumed I was "sedentary", but between walking to meetings and the bathroom, I found I actually log between 6-7 thousand steps a day for just normal activity. 12,000+ when I go for a walk on my lunch break
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    If going to an office job, then definitely get another fit bit. When my steps are low, I will take a longer way to a meeting or to the bathroom. I park further from my building. I love my fit bit for knowing how much have I moved (or not moved).
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would still contact Fitbit for a replacement. They're pretty good about it regardless of what happened, expired warranty, etc.

I have an office job and a Fitbit. It definitely makes me more aware how immobile I can be during the day and I do get up and walk around, but I don't have a daily step goal. I've kind of accepted my office sedentary-ness. I make up for it on the weekends.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and when I got my FitBit I was horrified at how sedentary I was. I now make sure I get up every hour and walk round the building going from the first floor to the third and back again. At lunchtime I'll go outside and take a walk. And I park my car on the top floor of the parking garage (five floors) and take the stairs rather than the elevator. If I do this, I can get to 10,000 steps before I leave work for the day.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit Charge HR when I was working in a call centre. I found every time I moved my arm about on the computer and phone it registered that as steps taken. The main reason I wanted it was to see how active I was walking home from work and to and from my desk. The fact it registered movements as steps gave me false readings.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    I had a Fitbit Charge HR when I was working in a call centre. I found every time I moved my arm about on the computer and phone it registered that as steps taken. The main reason I wanted it was to see how active I was walking home from work and to and from my desk. The fact it registered movements as steps gave me false readings.

My husband had the same experience while driving. I have a One; it's much more accurate.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've gone for the Alta!! It's such a difference from my Flex already!