How much is too much?

Options
I have a 3 hour swim practice in the morning. 1 hour dry land workouts, lifting, stretching, running etc. Then 2 hours swimming, drills, sprints, underwater etc. I often have the urge to go on a bike ride or run later that day. But I keep myself from going on these because I'm afraid too much exercise will get me injured or something like that. Should I let myself go on a 30 mile bike ride only 6 hours after my last intense workout? Or is it too much?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Is this six hours of exercises in one day? That's a lot already.

Unless you are training for something.

Make sure to eat enough for adequate fuel and recovery.

If I was doing all that exercise, I would be on the couch afterwards and not riding a bike for 30 miles.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think the more exercise you do, the more your body gets used to it. So if a 3hr practice is something you do regularly (2+ times a week), then I can see why you might feel like exercising more. I don't necessarily think more cardio is a bad thing, although I wouldn't recommend more weights after all that core work (swimming).

Maybe try going for that extra bike ride, but keep in mind that you might get tired way earlier than you expect, so don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere! Also +1 on the above suggestion, make sure you eat enough!!
  • concrete_daisies
    concrete_daisies Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I say this from experience haha.

A weights class, a netball game playing midcourt, and then genius me decided to go on a jog and ended up 10km from home, barely able to put one foot in front of the other. FAIL
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    2nd to your goal?

Enough is subjective to the idividual and his/her goals.
  • janettles
    janettles Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 hour swim practice in the morning. 1 hour dry land workouts, lifting, stretching, running etc. Then 2 hours swimming, drills, sprints, underwater etc. I often have the urge to go on a bike ride or run later that day. But I keep myself from going on these because I'm afraid too much exercise will get me injured or something like that. Should I let myself go on a 30 mile bike ride only 6 hours after my last intense workout? Or is it too much?
    It sounds as if you might be on a competitive swim team. Do you have a coach who might have an opinion about your doing extra workouts?
  • headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think going for the extra bike ride should be fine. I don't train as much as you, but I do have days where I will ride 30 miles after work, run with my wife when she gets home and then go play tennis/hockey after.

I think the important thing is to listen to your body. As long as this additional exercise doesn't detract from your primary goal; I say go for it.

It sounds like the OP's swim practice consists of one hour out of the pool and two hours in the pool. 3 hours total for the entire practice.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I think going for the extra bike ride should be fine. I don't train as much as you, but I do have days where I will ride 30 miles after work, run with my wife when she gets home and then go play tennis/hockey after.

I think the important thing is to listen to your body. As long as this additional exercise doesn't detract from your primary goal; I say go for it.

It sounds like the OP's swim practice consists of one hour out of the pool and two hours in the pool. 3 hours total for the entire practice.

OH! I misread. Sorry!