Walking to Work....Will it work???

Options
Hello,

I've recently started a new job that is exactly 1 mile from my house. Since my life is so busy now and I haven't had time for the gym I decided to start walking to and from work at least 3-5 days a week for a total of about 10 miles per week. This is the first time that I have incorporated a walking regime to my workout plan and I would like to hear some walking success stories to stay motivated and encouraged!

I understand everyone is different, but I would like to know if there are any walkers out here who can share what type of weight loss successes you have seen with walking as your primary form of exercise.

Thanks.

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have started walking my daughter to school every day, its about 1.5 miles, I'm not sure exactly how much I have lost just from the walking but it has definately made a difference in my weight loss, plus it is something that is a perminant change in my life, not like the gym whre you have to make the effort to go. Good idea!
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    that sounds great! im not sure if you'll lose much weight if thats *all* the exercise you do, but its a GREAT start!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I used walking for my first 6ish months of weight loss and it worked very well for quite awhile. I also had a lot of weight to lose (over 80lbs).

Walking can DEFINITELY be enough if you're walking with a purpose and not just strolling.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have a bad foot and cant even jog, so I walk 40 to 60 minutes a day 6 days a week as my primary form of cardio and have done very well averaging 3.0 to 3.5 mph
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    I do walking as my primary exercise and I have lost almost 60 lbs since November. About four days ago, I bought a pedometer and made it a goal to walk 15,000 steps every day, which is about 7 miles. Every hour I jog in place for about 5-10 minutes, to boost my metabolism. I have lost two pounds since I started doing that four days ago and I feel great in the evenings, instead of feeling tired and groggy. Good luck! :-)
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    as long as ur moving its a good thing...i walk to pick my daughter up from school about 1.5 miles roundtrip and try to ride my bike to work a few times a week (8miles RT)
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    First let me say that any exercise is better than none. In my case, 2 miles a day would not burn enough calories to help me out. I have to walk at least an hour to make any kind of significant impact. But I am at maintenance now, and very short and small framed, so I don't burn many calories just walking, and I don't get many calories to maintain my weight in the first place. After losing down to a reasonable weight I started running (couch to 5K) and it made a world of difference.

But if you are walking to/from work INADDITION to more exercise, then I say go for it! It is a start, just plan on adding more, soon, either in intensity or distance.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It can help, with a couple of caveats. One is that it doesn't replace an exercise workout. Even brisk walking for a mile still is more "casual activity" than exercise. It's not going to burn that many calories--which is why it shouldn't replace a workout. However, it can "sneak" some more activity calories into your overall routine, which can be helpful.

However, that will only be true if two things occur: 1) you don't decrease your other exercise or casual activity as compensation and 2) you don't increase your calorie intake. For many people, if they don't pay attention, both things will happen and they will see no additional benefit.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I walk to work, it's only .4 miles, but i walk to work, home for lunch, back to work, and home for the day. I recently hurt my shoulder so it is all the exercise i get right not, that with my healthy eating has me losing, I'm not sure how much but I know it helps, 60 calories each way so thats 240 calories that i wouldn't have burnt otherwise, helps me stay under my calorie goal with mine being so low. i say go for it, it can't hurt :)
  • jtucker42
    jtucker42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started walking to a further bus stop, adding about 1/3 mile to my morning walk.

I added a lunch time walk of around 1.5 miles.

I walk home 3 nights a week for about 2 miles (the walk to work is up a hill and we don't have showers at the office).

I walk 3.75 miles on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings.

Add that to watching my calories and portion sizes and I've lost 21 pounds so far (in a month) - so yes I would say that walking works. Every little bit helps.

The walk to and from work is also a nice buffer for switching between the not work and work mindset.
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    Heck yes! I bike to work and I love it! It will save you money and burn some nice calories!
    You could join a site like dailymile.com and log your walks and see how many miles you accumulate over time, too!
  • smbrooks404
    smbrooks404 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, what awesome responses. Very encouraging.

I should have noted that it is not my ONLY form of exercise - I do a bootcamp on Saturday mornings, and I have free weights at home to do workouts during the week that we learn at bootcamp. But, during the week I just haven't had time for much cardio so I was really hoping the walking to and from work could help fill the gap.

I love the ideas though, especially of walking back home for lunch (that will add more miles to the day). I'll try that on Monday!

Thanks!!
  • JoanHolly
    JoanHolly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Having a young baby it is very hard for me to get to the gym. I walk. Every day with the stroller for 45 minutes at about 3 mph. I have lost 70 lbs. It can work!
    ( I also do some exercise videos)