Is this normal?

PreachersWife276
PreachersWife276 Posts: 17 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app last week to help me stay on track with getting healthy again but I have found something strange that I wanted to see if others may have also experienced:

I hardly ever weighed myself before because I just didn't even want to know, but since joining MFP, I weigh myself daily/every 2 days and log it.

On Sunday, I weighed 273.9lbs.
On Tuesday, I weighed 283.7lbs.
On Thursday, I weighed 289.9lbs.
Then, this morning I was 281.0lbs.

That is a gain of 16lbs in five days,
And a 7lb loss overnight.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had a similar experience in the beginning of their weightloss?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app last week to help me stay on track with getting healthy again but I have found something strange that I wanted to see if others may have also experienced:

I hardly ever weighed myself before because I just didn't even want to know, but since joining MFP, I weigh myself daily/every 2 days and log it.

On Sunday, I weighed 273.9lbs.
    On Tuesday, I weighed 283.7lbs.
    On Thursday, I weighed 289.9lbs.
    Then, this morning I was 281.0lbs.

That is a gain of 16lbs in five days,
    And a 7lb loss overnight.

Is this normal? Has anyone else had a similar experience in the beginning of their weightloss?

Yeap, completely normal. Weight loss is never linear.

Also, this is the debate section. You were probably looking for General Weight Loss.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Large swings in weight can be normal. Take a look at your sodium intake levels the days before your increases and big drop. Also new workout routines can lead to water retention, as can TOM. I prefer to use a weight trending app/site, so that I can see the overall trend, rather than the day to day shifts. Have you had a check up recently, looking at bloodwork and blood pressure? Some medical conditions can also contribute to these changes. Try to not focus on the fluctuations.
  • PreachersWife276
    PreachersWife276 Posts: 17 Member
    Okay, thank you both for the info.
    Sorry I posted in the wrong group.
    Have a great night!
  • mariesilva726
    mariesilva726 Posts: 42 Member
    Keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yes, totally normal. Don't worry about water weight swings and trust in your plan. Eventually you will get a feel for how it fluctuates and what causes it, which is why I personally found weighing every day when I was actively losing helpful. It fluctuated a lot more in my case at the beginning than later.

(Also, someone should move this thread as I'm sure OP doesn't intend debate.)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Has anyone else had a similar experience in the beginning of their weightloss?

Yes and this is different from what everybody else said.

Sometimes my weight goes up or down by as much as 10 lbs overnight, for no obvious reason. Usually the culprit is that the scale moved a little, maybe something got stuck under one of its legs, etc. Or maybe it's just not a very good scale.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    ^^ this!! I can move my scale 1/4" and drop 10 lbs in weight - I actually marked the spot in the floor that gives the most consistent readings (note that I did not say the lightest) and put the scale there every time...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Weigh your self on the same scale in the same place wearing the same thing, preferably nothing and at the same time of day. I weigh after my first wee of the day.
    It will still fluctuate but it will be more accurate.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Here's a great article on why you shouldn't rely only on the scale to track progress.

http://www.healthdiscovery.net/articles/scale_lies.htm
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member

muscle does not weigh more than fat. unless it is 2 pounds of muscle to 1 pound of fat.. :(
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

muscle does not weigh more than fat. unless it is 2 pounds of muscle to 1 pound of fat.. :(

The same volume of muscle and fat do not weigh the same, say 1 gal. of each.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ^^ this!! I can move my scale 1/4" and drop 10 lbs in weight - I actually marked the spot in the floor that gives the most consistent readings (note that I did not say the lightest) and put the scale there every time...

I put my scale on a 2' x 2' piece of 3/4" plywood, or else it gives me goofy readings when placed on carpet alone.

To the OP: yes, water-weight can play tricks with you (especially if you're a pre-menopausal female). Just stick with your routine and ride it out....
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    That's very normal.
    1. When it comes to that time of the month for ladies and your feeling all bloated it is totally normal to gain several lbs according to the scale even if your eating doesn't change...and then it typically drops back off at the end.
    2. Always weigh on the same scale wearing the same clothes, or as close as possible to the same clothes, or naked to get a consistent reading.
    3. Try to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before drinking or eating anything. My husband can get on the scale after all day of work and eating and be a good 8-10 lbs heavier then he was that morning...it's crazy lol
    4. Lastly, DON'T weight yourself every day! I know it's hard because you just want to know (we've all been there) but try and do it weekly or every other week that way you don't get a crazy off reading if your really bloated one day. Also take your measurements. Even if you don't lose anything sometimes you still loose inches and it makes you feel good :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

While I understand what you mean, there is no way someone can gain that much muscle in that short span of time, especially if they aren't consciously trying to gain muscle.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    In addition to what's already been mentioned - is this a digital or analog scale? If digital, when was the last time the battery was replaced? A while ago, I was getting strange fluctuations from mine, so I changed the battery. Voila! Consistent readings.