Scale and weight

Options
Do you guys rely on the scale? Especially those who weigh themselves everyday. As sometimes I eat in a deficit and the next day I gain weight and get confused and dont knkw if I am doing something wrong. I am thinking of weighing myself once a week and rely on clothes to know whether I am gaining/losing.

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    If you weigh every day, get used to fluctuations. If you weight once per week, get used to fluctuations.

Weight trend over time is what tells the story no matter how often you weigh.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I use the app Happy Scale, where I enter in my daily weight and it shows me the trend line. I find it super helpful to always put each day in context and know that even if I have fluctuated that day, my overall trend is good
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I use the scale once each morning. I log the weight each time. Even though the most recent scale reading may tend to alarm with large jumps and persistent pauses, you can use the 30-day Report to see what's happened at the 30-day scale. If you are living in a calorie deficit, it will show up as downward movement at that scale. Almost always.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I trend my weight everyday using my scale and weight trend app. You will be amazed that fluctuations on the scale can show a horror story, but after a few weeks on trending, you really are loosing weight fat after all!
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I personally weigh myself once per week. I used to weigh daily but I would get so disappointed when I would wake up heavier for no reason, so weekly works better for me.
    I also measure every 2 weeks (neck, arms, chest, waist, hips and thighs). The weight on the scale going down makes me happy but when you see that tape measurer going to smaller numbers...it's awesome! Lol
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but the next day isn't always a reflection of the day before it takes a day or 2 sometimes for a bad day to show up. sometimes you'll have good days and sodium or just a fluctuations will make it go up. Daily weigh ins just help me stay accountable more than once a week.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Samanthor wrote: »
    I use the app Happy Scale, where I enter in my daily weight and it shows me the trend line. I find it super helpful to always put each day in context and know that even if I have fluctuated that day, my overall trend is good
    I weigh everyday but the next day isn't always a reflection of the day before it takes a day or 2 sometimes for a bad day to show up. sometimes you'll have good days and sodium or just a fluctuations will make it go up. Daily weigh ins just help me stay accountable more than once a week.

What they said. Sometimes when your sodium levels are high, it could take 3-4 days for your body to shed the excess water.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Don't pay attention to the scale number per say, pay attention to trends. If you're going to weigh daily log it into a app like happyscale that will let you see the trends. I have weighed 6lbs heavier the next morning after eating a high sodium dinner. That would probably freak someone out who doesn't know about weight fluctuations and banks on seeing a lower number everyday.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    healthy491 wrote: »
    Do you guys rely on the scale? Especially those who weigh themselves everyday. As sometimes I eat in a deficit and the next day I gain weight and get confused and dont knkw if I am doing something wrong. I am thinking of weighing myself once a week and rely on clothes to know whether I am gaining/losing.

Only for long term trending. I do not use day to day scale reading as a marker for success.

As others have mentioned Happy Scale is good app to chart long term progress
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday and I watch the fluctuations, I think its helpful for me to get to know how my weight reacts to say walking more than I normally do, or lifting weights (which I do seldom) if I ate something salty or if I go over my calories for the day.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    sometimes i weigh every day.

sometimes once a week.

sometimes once a month.

its the overall trend you want to see, not a specific moment in time.
  • afort001
    afort001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day at the same time just for my own personal knowledge , but I only record my once a week readings . But try to do it the same time everyday , wearing the same thing . I weigh every morning after I wake up and in the good ole birthday suit