Misery loves company

Options
I have a coworker who keeps trying to pressure me into eating out and it's starting to really irritate me. He insists on asking me 20 million times if I'm sure that I don't want any and then tries to seal the deal with "I'll pay"..... UGGGH!

Last week we had a manditory potluck meeting and so I brought the drinks which included caffeine free or zero calorie sodas like Ginger Ale, Caffeine free Pepsi, Lemon Lime Diet Sierra and Brisk. Another person broght Coke and everyone had the Coke. There was gobs of food there and there was only one person who brought something remotely healthy, edamame peas. As I nibbled on my peas and looked around the room I never noticed how fat everyone was and they were litterally gorging on their mile high plates of BBQ Pork ribs, Chicken, Lasagna, ...... yet everyone is always talking about losing weight. They talk about why it's so hard but then they bring sweets and treats and then try to force you to eat it with them.

I know that later on down the road I will be better for saying no and shouldn't feel guilty about letting people know that it's not healthy for me to eat that way and provide them a little education about it along the way. I just need to stay the course.

Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I know I feel so bad when I turn down going out to lunch with the office. Sometimes I'll go and order something healthy but I can't do that every day! I'm pretty sure when you get down to your goal weight you'll either motivate them or you can say how do you think I got this thin?
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Ahhhh. Office saboteurs. One of my favourite topics. I'm surrounded by them.

Be proactive in your offense. Start a "Walking Club" at lunch. Map out routes of various lengths. A 35 minute 3.5mph walk can burn about 200+ calories. Put up a notice with a section to add your name to and just see what happens...it takes a long time to change the corporate attitude, but once the pressure's on in the other direction...things start to happen. Be the first!

As for lunchboy....tell him if he signs up and walks 3 or 4 times with you, you'll go to lunch...then show him how to eat. :wink:

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can do both

What if you agree to go out only if he agrees to do sushi? Then order sashimi (very healthy) and let him pay :) easy.

I can totally relate b/c i work in consulting where we have giant expense budgets that you almost feel obligated to spend and it can buy you breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks you want + booze so it's very hard to say no and stay within your allocation of calories and macro nutriets...esp if you are all travelling and it's likely that there is a team dinner at night, etc.
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Options
    It's a case of the ships sinking and they want to take everyone down with it. Be strong and stick to what you now now as healthier living. And soon you will notice your fellow colleagues making the change too once they see the positive results it's having on you. Stay strong and don't give in to them

good luck :-)
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OMG can I relate?!?!?!

OK-I can't leave for lunch (policy) so everyone in my office brings their own. Unfortunately my desk is directly next to the office fridge and microwave. So-I get to see and smell everything everyone else brings. At Easter my boss (I love her to death but....) kept a candy dish literally 10 feet from my desk. Everyone that came through had to comment on all of the chocolate choices and which were their favorite and how many they had eaten.....blah-blah-blah....oh and the ones who CONSTANTLY tried to get me to eat with them!

Then a few weeks back it was law enforcement appreciation week. The dear sweet ladies auxiliary decided to show their appreciation by feeding the whole department, everyday, starting with pizza, donuts, cookies, bagels, popcorn...you name it, they served it....except for healthy foods. And there is always one who HAS to come to your desk while eating, waving the food in your face and saying "MMMM...don't you want a bite?" What the HELL are they thinking?!?!?!?!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I guess most offices are like that. Our department often has pot luck days. A couple of years ago I suggested that we have a 'healthy pot luck' day. Almost everyone complained but finally agreed. We ended up with 6 veggie trays, 1 bag of fat free cookies, a bag of apples and the guacamole w organic corn chips that I brought and some shrimp with cocktail sauce. It seems hardly anyone even knew what healthy food was, other than raw veggies. It was shocking, but I guess I should have know better since I work in IT. :ohwell:
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Totally relate! My husband's family and us are really close (we are there like every weekend it seems) and since Ive started getting healthy all I hear from my MIL is how hard it is and how she could never give up chips or eating the way she does and how she doesn't want to work out. They have a nice treadmill and things in their basement that are all piled with stuff :-(
    This past weekend I was making a snack salad while they had cheese cake and talking about how much more tastey the cheesecake was. Im sure it was but Im sure I don't want to be a cow anymore.
    I wish they weren't like that, they buy and eat junk and feed my kids junk when Im not looking :-( at home eat dont even buy junk anymore
  • calition
    calition Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can do both

What if you agree to go out only if he agrees to do sushi? Then order sashimi (very healthy) and let him pay :) easy.

I can totally relate b/c i work in consulting where we have giant expense budgets that you almost feel obligated to spend and it can buy you breakfast, lunch, dinner and any snacks you want + booze so it's very hard to say no and stay within your allocation of calories and macro nutriets...esp if you are all travelling and it's likely that there is a team dinner at night, etc.

I love this idea!!!
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My mum made her Rocky Road (Similar to http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rockyroadcrunchbars_87104 ) this week for everyone in my work.

Everyone had more than one piece except me - i had none. I kinda felt good that I managed to abstain but hated the fact that everyone else noticed I didn't have any.
    "Oh go on, it's amazing....blah blah blah"