LADIES - TimeOfTheMonth

Options
Did yours vanish? Or be late? When you started exercising more and eating differently ?

I'm like clockwork. Doctor says everything fine. I'm 100% most definitely not pregnant.

Have I broke me?

Replies

• danielle001988
    danielle001988 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet and joined the gym, I did celebrity slim to start with, mine stopped for two months. This has happened to me before though but once I lost a bit of weight, they came back.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Losing weight can mess with your hormones. I believe estrogen levels are higher, so it can delay periods. Also, if you're working out strenuously, your body might be stressed, which causes different hormones again. If it doesn't come back in a few months, I'd talk to your doctor again.

Don't know if you're on hormonal birth control, but those other hormone changes in combo with that might also cause it. Not sure on that part though.

When I was losing weight, my period completely changed. It came more frequently but was lighter. I've heard various changes from many women.

As a disclaimer, make sure you don't become underweight. Sounds like your doctor didn't mention that (assuming) so I suppose it's not an issue for you?
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've read that periods can get irregular (or vanish altogether) when a woman's fat percentage drops really low? It's probably Mother Nature making sure she doesn't conceive during stressful times??
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Mine did change a little but i think it's more from being premenopausal. I think a new diet and exercise plan does throw your hormones off a little.
  • Christiee93
    Christiee93 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    When I first started my diet and joined the gym, I did celebrity slim to start with, mine stopped for two months. This has happened to me before though but once I lost a bit of weight, they came back.
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Losing weight can mess with your hormones. I believe estrogen levels are higher, so it can delay periods. Also, if you're working out strenuously, your body might be stressed, which causes different hormones again. If it doesn't come back in a few months, I'd talk to your doctor again.

Don't know if you're on hormonal birth control, but those other hormone changes in combo with that might also cause it. Not sure on that part though.
    grannynot wrote: »
    I've read that periods can get irregular (or vanish altogether) when a woman's fat percentage drops really low? It's probably Mother Nature making sure she doesn't conceive during stressful times??

Thank you all! My body fat definitely hasn't dropped too much. Maybe it is stress etc. I'll be sure to go back to the doctors if it doesn't return x
  • Christiee93
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Mine did change a little but i think it's more from being premenopausal. I think a new diet and exercise plan does throw your hormones off a little.

Thanks for replying! Obviously I'm panicking a little bit but if it's normal I'll just sit tight x
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Omg it's a nightmare I'm so hungry lol so I will have to up my exercising!!! Mine is never consistent...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mine disappeared when I got close to my goal weight and still ate at a deficit. I asked my GP and GYN and they both said it's normal to only have 10 periods a year (completely new to me). It came back regularly when I started eating a little bit more.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Perimenopausal, but I did have my longest "month" ever, last month. This one has been 28 days on the dot, mind!

Found that, since the start of peri, mine have varied with day length, though, and I live somewhere where day length varies between about 7 and 16 hours, so days shortening could explain why this one is more "normal" than the last.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Mine arrived on schedule while I lost weight.
    Love-and-Other-Drugs.gif
  • jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I was fine for the first 5 months of a deficit, and then my last one got really weird - extremely late (thought I'd skipped it), very light, and lasted much longer than usual. I wasn't underweight, had a BMI of 19.3. But I was also extremely stressed, so that might have been it too.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It can be a bit all over the place if you're not eating enough! Usually it balances itself out, I'd keep an eye on it - if you've not got an app to track your cycles I'd recommend Clue :smile:
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Did yours vanish? Or be late? When you started exercising more and eating differently ?

I'm like clockwork. Doctor says everything fine. I'm 100% most definitely not pregnant.

Have I broke me?

Mine is actually the complete opposite lol
    When my weight is heavier I have my monthly maybe once every 3-4 months, but when I am eating good and working out and some of that weight is gone then my body is a little more regular.
    Funny thing actually. I was around 250 lbs and wasn't having my monthly at all. I went to the doctor and he told me I was healthy besides needing to shed some weight but when we wanted to have kids I would probably have to go on some medicine to help me get pregnant since I wasn't ovulating.
    I started working out and eating better and lost almost 70 lbs and was back to ovulating pretty much every month and BAM...pregnant lol.
    Now my body is back to the very rare monthly and I'm working on getting the post baby weight off lol
    The way your body reacts different to different things is amazing lol
  • Christiee93
    Options

Have I broke me?

When my weight is heavier I have my monthly maybe once every 3-4 months, but when I am eating good and working out and some of that weight is gone then my body is a little more regular.
    Funny thing actually. I was around 250 lbs and wasn't having my monthly at all. I went to the doctor and he told me I was healthy besides needing to shed some weight but when we wanted to have kids I would probably have to go on some medicine to help me get pregnant since I wasn't ovulating.
    I started working out and eating better and lost almost 70 lbs and was back to ovulating pretty much every month and BAM...pregnant lol.
    Now my body is back to the very rare monthly and I'm working on getting the post baby weight off lol

It is mad! I'm 5 days over now. Not ever been this far over unless pregnant so it's freaky and even though I know I'm 100% not making a human I keep looking at pregnancy tests like 'why am I even wondering, it's impossible!'
  • Plutodreams
    Plutodreams Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get yours? I've skipped a whole period now I'm like 60 days late. Did you feel pms symptoms for forever? I've been pms for a month!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    mine disappeared for two years when i was not eating enough calories
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Did you ever get yours? I've skipped a whole period now I'm like 60 days late. Did you feel pms symptoms for forever? I've been pms for a month!

Uh, it sounds like you might be pregnant! Have you checked? Because early symptoms are a lot like PMS.
  • Plutodreams
    Plutodreams Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »

Uh, it sounds like you might be pregnant! Have you checked? Because early symptoms are a lot like PMS.

My husband keeps asking me that but I have taken 2 negative tests. This has happened to me before. Earlier this year one plane trip and a week spent across the country had me in 3 months of ongoing pms before I got a period. Better not be pregnant. I like quiet and sleep too much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Have I broke me?

It is mad! I'm 5 days over now. Not ever been this far over unless pregnant so it's freaky and even though I know I'm 100% not making a human I keep looking at pregnancy tests like 'why am I even wondering, it's impossible!'

Intensive exercising, extreme weight loss, physical illness, and stress can all result in amenorrhea.

However, you'd have to be later than 5 days for it to be amenorrhea.

Now that I am perimenopausal, my periods are strangely regular, but for most of my life my cycle tended to be up to 6 weeks and 3 months was not unheard of. My cycle has changed many times over the course of my life.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Mine disappeared for about 3 weeks three months ago, then came once a month for three months. And then came two weeks early, which just ended, and I'm holding my breath to see if it comes back next week when it's actually scheduled.

I don't know the cause, as I'm definitely eating enough calories, but it's driving me crazy. I was always regular down to the time of day it started every four weeks. Ugh.