How to log in cheat meal?

Options
Hi !
How are you guys doing , i hope that you are doing well in the path of weight loss/gain.
I have a question , today i had a cheat meal , how can i log it because i dont want the app to misunderstand that i messed up ??

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You just log it the way you log any thing you eat. Choose the closest possible entry to what you ate.

An app doesn't understand anything, it doesn't have a brain.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The app isn't a sentient being. You input the calories you ate like you would any other food.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How to log in cheat meal?

I usually just don't...

It's not cheating if it fits your calorie allowance. That ruins all the fun...
    >:)
    Seriously, I allow for that one day per week where I do not log foods and just eat whatever that one day.
    I lost over 100 pounds this way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Just log it. Trust me, the app doesn't care if you had a cheat meal. It still works whether you "messed up" or not. :)
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If you aren't sure how much you ate, just throw in an estimate with the quick add button. At least you'll know you had a cheat meal that day. Its helpful as you're tracking your progress to be able to see those things, especially if you stop losing and can't figure out why.
  • nourasshi
    nourasshi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys , my intake should be 1220 , but i had about 2000 cals. Thats why i am worried
    Anyways thank you again
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just log it as you would any other meal, I never bother to log mine!
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    To answer your question directly, log the meal as you would any other food item. It doesn't have to be every single ingredient. If you're eating out at McDonald's, let's say, then just search for McDonald's [input menu item].
    For example, if I had a Big Mac hamburger I would search: "McDonald's Big Mac". Don't make it too difficult for yourself. Just remember, it doesn't need to be exact, it just needs to be in the ballpark unless you have a medical condition or are conforming to a diet with very specific restrictions.

I think that if you're still new to MFP and logging your food, logging "cheat" meals is something that you should do. There are so many factors that play into life that can easily knock you off the wagon. Here are my two main points on why I think you should log:
    • It's good practice (if you're new to this)
    • It will help keep you accountable. If you can hold yourself accountable for the good things that you eat and reward yourself accordingly, there's no reason why you shouldn't hold yourself accountable for the "cheat" meals too

Eating right is challenging. It sounds like there are many people here, from the replies that I've read, who have found success while not logging those off days.
    I'd like to hear from the people who had the opposite effect. I'm guessing many of them aren't here anymore because they fell off completely.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat, but I do have days where I eat beyond my calorie goal - way beyond my calorie goal (it's a terminology distinction - who or what would I be cheating?!?).

I just estimate things using the most similar-looking MFP database entries, not picking the lowest-calorie ones (which probably lie), but instead ones at the mid/upper end of the similar dishes. I guess at portions.

To add to some good thinking above about why one might choose to log these meals in detail, I also appreciate having a semi-reasonable estimate of what I ate, even if I ate too much. I can use the reasonable estimates of eating, exercise, and loss rate to learn more about what my actual TDEE/NEAT might be (since the calculators aren't perfect). It also helped me to fine-tune my calorie goal as goal weight approached and it became a good plan to lose more slowly. It's all just a big, fun, science fair project for grown-ups, really.

Beyond that, logging also helps me understand which splurge foods really seem worth the occasional splurge, and which just kinda don't - useful insight.

For what it's worth, I have some MFP friends (whose diaries I can see) who'll describe in their status what they ate on an over-goal day (or even share an IG photo!), but who do that "quick add calories" guessing thing. Most of the time, my thought is that they've severely low-balled the splurge. I don't have much trouble eating 5000 calories or more in an indulgent day, especially if there are caloric adult beverages involved, or desserts. Sometimes people log 1000 or 1500 in a quick add for things that sure look/sound more like 3000 to me, if not more.

P.S. I did the "significantly over calorie goal" thing a few times while losing on special occasions (birthday, holidays), and now have done likewise in maintenance from time to time. Didn't prevent me losing 60+ pounds in a bit less than a year, and reaching a healthy weight on the low side (5'5", 120lbs) and maintaining it for the last 6 months or so . . . and I'm a li'l ol' lady (60 y/o ) so probably not a metabolic powerhouse. One just can't do it super often.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 very nice message. I think so many people think if they have a piece of cake or ice cream at a birthday it's time to throw in the towel because they have no self control. I know very few people in life that can and would want to go completely clean and on point to their calories every day. I'm going to live my life, just with better tools and not going full speed like I did to put all this weight on.

Going wine tasting tomorrow and will happily be over my calories for the day.