Diet help asap

Options
I'm looking to lose at least 100lbs. I had used this site years ago and lost about 50. Now I've gained about triple that back. And the worst part is I don't even remember what I ate or how I did it.

I just graduated from school on Wednesday and I'm still looking for a job. I have no money for food or a gym or weights or any equipment at home.

Are there inexpensive foods out there that I can make meal plans out of? I have a picky daughter and don't want to make separate meals, but I will if it helps me. I have no clue where to start. I think I would just start counting calories then as soon as I get the hang of that add in exercise?? For food I was just thinking of getting those smart ones, lean cuisine, and such frozen meals. I really don't even know where to begin. I'm so lost and confused.

Anything helps! Please give me some advice! I'm desperate.

Replies

• zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude but can you find away to improve the lack of not having money for food especially with a child

Maybe apply great foodstump

For exercise start walking
  • Kindrex30
    Kindrex30 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've applied many times. I get denied every single time
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    myfridgefood.com will show you how to make meals out of what you have on hand.

Go to Youtube and search "body weight exercises." This will be your "weights." There are also lots of cardio and yoga routines. This way you can do everything you need to do in your living room.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    .... and kids usually like bananas and peanut butter, which would be a great nutritious snack for her.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    omg. I need to take note of those sites also! We are, shall I say, not rolling in money either.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Same - unfortunately a lot of 'budget' recipes I see involve ingredients at least a couple of us aren't fond of (beans are cheap and good for you but my son and I don't like them that much!). There are a lot in that PDF cookbook like that. I've found a few here and there I can use, though!

This is an awesome recipe - easy to make, fairly cheap and makes a lot, and we all like it! Freezes well too.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10310875/most-efficient-effective-meal-recipe-ryans-texas-brown-rice-beef/p1

We also enjoy the turkey chili recipe from this page - I add a can of Navy beans to it to pad it out, and it makes several portions relatively cheaply!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251326/st-louis-slinger
  • gothchiq
    Options
    In some things you could probably substitute rice for beans, depending on what else is in there. Assuming beans are not your thing. I like pinto beans and black beans. and, truth is, dried beans that you cook yourself are hella cheap!
  • Kindrex30
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Check out the 'Good and Cheap' cookbook PDF available at this site, you might find some things you like in there.

http://www.leannebrown.com/

I second the advice about watching for coupons, sales and special deals like produce that's been reduced due to age - these things are still absolutely fine (they're just slightly past their best), and many could be frozen if you can't use it all at once. Buying when cheap and cooking in bulk is probably going to be your best bet for saving money and eating well; you can portion out a big batch of a recipe and freeze it for future meals.

You might be able to find some recipes that are things your daughter would like but that you can add something else to for yourself, to save a bit of cooking time.

Use this site to make sure you're not wasting food that's still good by throwing it away before you need to:

http://stilltasty.com/

Finally, here's a couple of sites with budget recipes that might be helpful:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/ (I looked at a couple of recipes and there doesn't seem to be any nutritional information, so I don't know how many of the recipes would be low-calorie - you'd have to enter them into MFPs recipe builder to check.)

http://poorgirleatswell.blogspot.ca/ (same as above regarding info)

http://www.eatingwell.com/ (You can search for 'budget' or 'cheap' and find lower-cost recipes, and these do have nutritional info included.)

I'm sure there are many other sites out there too, if you search around.

And don't worry about exercise - walking is free and will do just fine. :) Bodyweight exercises too, as @gothchiq suggested.

Congratulations on your graduation and on deciding to take back control of your weight and health... I wish you luck, both with the job hunt and the weight loss!

Thank you so much! That's a great help!
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    I tried soaking and cooking dried black beans for a recipe a while ago and made a big mess of it - not sure if I overcooked them or did something else wrong, but it was just a big mass of loose or 'half-off' skins that had to be picked apart before I could use them. And after all that effort, the recipe wasn't very good anyway... ;)
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    Kindrex30 wrote: »
    Thank you so much! That's a great help!

You're welcome, I hope you find something useful!
  • Kindrex30
    Options
    Thanks you guys. I never grew up with my parents cooking anything besides hamburger helper. I don't really know much about healthy eating. I'm determined to step out of my bubble and start learning
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Black beans. okay. I'll tell you what I do. First, the quick soak method. Wash the beans then put them in your pot with lots of clean water, like 2 inches over the top of the beans, and 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Bring to a boil, then turn heat off and let them sit for an hour or so.

If you are concerned about.... ah, gaseous issues, then dump off the soaking water and add back fresh water, again, couple inches over the top of the beans. Add a pinch of baking soda, and I also add sauteed onions that cook in and give it good flavor. Simmer while stirring occasionally for an hour, then check texture. Also check from time to time because you'll have to add water so they don't dry out. You may need another half hour and at this point that the beans are heavy and full of water, stir frequently so they don't burn at the bottom. When you bite into a bean it is how you like it, you're done. Take out a cup of beans and mash them, then return to the pot and stir it in for gravy. add salt and pepper, and any other herbs or spices, to taste. Yr done!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose that 50 pounds? I'd hope at least a year. I'm just curious because people who approach dieting by extreme caloric deficit (ie taking their old diet of 3000 calories a day and trying to reduce it to 1200 calories a day) tend to put that weight back on and then some.

If that was your approach the first time I have a different approach to suggest, but first I was curious how it was you lost 50 pounds that first time. Was it a crash diet of sorts?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Same procedure for pinto beans. :)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I tried soaking and cooking dried black beans for a recipe a while ago and made a big mess of it - not sure if I overcooked them or did something else wrong, but it was just a big mass of loose or 'half-off' skins that had to be picked apart before I could use them. And after all that effort, the recipe wasn't very good anyway... ;)

Sounds like you overcooked them. There's nothing wrong with the skins, but if you don't like the texture or the appearance, you could have repurposed the beans for black bean dip instead of taking the time to pick off all the skins. Once mashed or pureed, I wouldn't think you'd be able to tell that the some of the skins had cooked off.
  • lgregory6540
    lgregory6540 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I follow skinny mom recipes on Pinterest. I bought the cookbook but most of the recipes can be found online. Although they are not specific for budget friendly they contain normal ingredients that can be found easily! Nothing crazy or exotic and the recipes are usually for 4-6 people so you have several meals of them or could freeze. So far every meal I have tried has turned out and my son loves them! Most dinners are about 400 calories and very filling!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Walking is cheap and that's all I do right now for exercise.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First of all - you DO have money for food when you consider frozen meals. Use that money on real food ingredients. Real food ingredients are generally cheap. You will need adequate tools and equipment for cooking, but no gadgets are necessary. You don't have to pay for a gym or buy exercise equipment. Walk and do body weight exercises (you can find a lot on youtube).

It's generally best to eat the same food when you are cooking and eating together, especially when you are a role model for a child, and especially when that child already is picky.

Cooking doesn't have to be difficult or complicated. You don't have to buy everything or do everything a recipe calls for. Use it to get the general idea of what to do and what ingredients to use.

Meal plan. The process would go somewhere along these lines: Decide what you want to eat. (Let your daughter have a say, but you are the one to make the final decision.) Find recipes for those meals. Write down the ingredients you need to make them. Look in your cupboards, freezer and fridge (and make an inventory; optional but recommended) and create a shopping list out of the ingredients you are missing, plus all the other foods you will need for non-cooking meals. Take that to the store and follow it. Then cook and eat. It's important that you eat it up when you are short of money, so plan to use up ingredients and stick to foods you know you like - but you also want (your daughter) to be less picky, so try some new foods from time to time. Base your everyday meals on cheap ingredients, and splurge a little on special occasions.

Do not fall for hypes. Do not pay extra for low fat, low carb, organic, health food, enriched, gluten free, sugar free, or products aimed at children. Buy precut, precooked etc only if it's a real time saver. Don't buy juice, buy fruit. Buy appropriate package sizes - you want to save on buying in bulk, but you don't want the food to get spoiled. Don't buy large amounts of something you'll overeat if it's readily available, or if you'll get bored of it before it's eaten.

You will build experience and confidence as you develop your skills, and you need to learn to look at price tags and compare to get the best value for your money - and what you buy will depend on what you like to eat - but lists of versatile, inexpensive foods tend to include these items: Rice, beans, pasta, oatmeal, eggs, chicken, tuna, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables and berries, onions, carrots, cabbage, apples, bananas, oranges, peanut butter.