Replies

• Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I am all about cycling!!! Add me!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am an avid cyclist. At one time when I also took up riding a motorcycle, well meaning people started to tell me horror stories. They also pointed out websites that were gory motorcycle accidents. In motorcycle class they even say "it is not a matter of if you fall over but when you fall over." So, you are probably going to receive a number of posts about how dangerous cycling is. Being an avid cyclist I have ridden many miles and have seen great scenery, wildlife and crazy drivers. So, you have to ask yourself what type of cyclist are you. You are a runner and know the roads however if you are a bit nervous about cycling, try to join a club. Yes, you can drive your car to the starting point of the club ride. Sometimes a club will use roads less travelled. I also recommend that you try to ride early in the mornings - less traffic. If you are really afraid of cars, try riding on a multi-use path. Also, wear a helmet it is a requirement when joining a club anyway.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    More bike lanes.
    Things have got to change.

I live in the Netherlands. It's easy to take our cycling infrastructure for granted. Here's the strava heatmap zoomed out to show the difference in cycling intensity. And this is strava, that "serious" cyclists use to clock their miles. Groningen, in the north of the country has a modal share of 60%, and growing: nearly 2/3 of traffic movement inside the city is by bike.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#3/-65.56641/47.33882/blue/bike

It's not about the terrain, but about the infrastructure...joining a local club and/or an advocacy group seems a very good idea.

• kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Been more colorful this year with two honks, almost cut off twice (one, driver ran a stop sign and other slammed the brakes to enter a driveway), and rode up to an verbal altercation at red light (club ride, not involved). 4.6k miles so far this year. Back when I was seriously into cycling, I never encountered this many over the five-year period when I was training and racing. I didn't encounter any in the two years prior when I restarted riding seriously again. Just luck.

When I ride on roads w/o bike lane, I stay inside of the fog line with 1-2 feet room for maneuvering. I don't take up the lane. In the bike lane, I hug to the left next to the drive lane. This increases my visibility and is a subtle suggestion to the drivers to share the lane.

Before getting on the road, I would practice handling. If you're meandering, you're putting a big target on your back. Also I found the bigger the speed differential, the bigger the target. Drivers tends to more aggressive when I'm cruising at 16 mph than 20+. Don't recall having much problems on climbs but I normally pull off to the side (driveway, hard shoulders, etc) to let cars pass as soon as practicable. Generally no problems on descents since I'm keeping pace (at least up to 45+ mph) or can out maneuver them on curvy roads. AND no earphones, wear a helmet, and eye protection as needed.

Good luck and enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I am surprised that I have not read what I am going to say. Did I miss it up there?
    I do not know any serious riders who have not been hit by a car at least once.
    It is just the way it is.

On my road bike, I've never been hit by a cage dweller. Lots of long distances, largely non urban, where I can dominate the lane and make progress. I have skidded out on it, and a couple of times at lights I've had the rather embarrassing track-stand topple when I've not managed to get my shoes out of the pedals. That's no more than hurt pride.

On my cross bike, I've offed myself by going too fast round a bend. Never been hit by a cage.

On my mountain bike, I've thrown it down hills, into trees and streams. Again, never been hit by a cage.

On my Brompton, I've been hit a few times. Mostly side-swiped by a car cutting in too quickly after passing me. Once that needed a new front wheel.

What I would say is that hi viz and lights, two on the bike, two on my rucsac and one on my helmet, don't seem to make any difference whatsoever.

That said, overtaking cars have also been the biggest threat on my motorbike, although that's usually because they're passing me when it's not safe to do so anyway.

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I only cycle to commutenow, but IMHO, you always get idiots, not matter what, fortuantely they are not as common. Birght clothing and Obeying the road rules seems to reduce the crazies a bit. Not weaking in out of lanes\parked cars seems to stop the whingers as well.

Pedestrians are a pain IMHO, walking with headphones, not looking for bikes, stepping out, I've nearly cleaned out a few people due to this

As for issues, Car's parked illegally (I'm talking parked on corners, so you can't see round the car, let alone the corner), Cars not indicating, and as stated, the pedestrains stepping out are the only issues really. All of those are issues regardless of cycling or driving
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Most people are ok but you will get some people passing too close as they don't understand (or care) how to pass a cyclist safely. Rural roads are usually the best and that's where I mostly ride, however there are some roads that I try to avoid, especially at peak commuting times.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Noob cyclist living in a similar type area with the same fears. The only time I go on the main road is to get to the bike trail. So far, it's been fine. Drivers give me a little more room when they can, nobody has thrown anything at me, yelled at me, etc. One day I'll branch out to actual roads, but for now I don't trust people enough.
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I like to ride on roads that have wider lanes or shoulders while by myself. However, if I have other riders, we can take up the entire lane comfortably and I know noone can try to squeeze past me in the same lane. I'd say about 18 of my 20 miles each day are on the road. (I seem to get tube punctures too quickly if I ride the sidewalk).

Other than cars cutting in front of me just to hit the brakes and turn, the only time I've had a close collision was when someone was in my lane going around a turn in a parking garage. Very close head on collision. I locked up my rear tire and slid around him and just happened to be able to catch and correct it.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses. Its interesting to hear your experiences and opinions. Be safe!
  • alexbailey815
    alexbailey815 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I ride a Brompton also; commute everyday to and from work, 5 miles each way and drivers where I am have been very respectful.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Two words: mountain biking.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i used to hang out on some cycling forum whose name i forget now. from input by the other commuters, it seems like driver courtesy varies a great deal by location.

my city is pretty courteous; it's a horrible thing to say but current cyclists are getting the benefit of the people who've been killed or maimed in the past. the two main things i do to try and return the courtesy are making myself VISIBLE, and keeping a consistent trajectory.

visibility makes a dramatic difference. i'm usually visible but the days i wear my dork vest with the giant reflective cross and the high-viz colouring, drivers change lanes to pass me. at other times they just veer out to give me space but still keep the same lane. i'm a big fan. and i can't stop myself from constantly buying night-visibility bling :tongue:

consistency is more of a courtesy here than veering all over the road. if i ride in to the curb just because there's space for me to do it, sooner or later i'm going to have to come out again. stay where you are and let them know they can count on you to keep being there. i only move over in situations where i've been holding someone up for a long stretch, i.e. it should be the exception instead of the rule.

that's my advice, for whatever it's worth.