Heart Rate on Fitbit

Options
So I haven't been to the gym in 8 days (I know I'm slacking), and this is probably the longest I have gone in 5 months without being very strict on my diet and not going to the gym. I know 8 days doesn't sound like a lot, but to me it does. So today I bought a Fitbit to help me get back into it. I was looking at my resting heart rate on it though, and it says my resting heart rate is 63. Is that really possible? I did not think it would be that good considering I have not been to the gym in over a week and still have another 10-15lb to lose. I have been working out anywhere from 4-6 days each week for the past 5 months, would that have anything to do with my RHR? I am assuming that is why it is so much better than it used to be, I think I was just shocked at how low it was.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    do you know what your resting heart rate was before your break? I find my charge hr is very accurate for resting (judging by taking my own pulse).
  • riley_kinnett
    riley_kinnett Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    do you know what your resting heart rate was before your break? I find my charge hr is very accurate for resting (judging by taking my own pulse).

No I honestly don't know what is was before, but I did get the charge HR so I guess it is pretty accurate then.
  • JeanLaw131
    JeanLaw131 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sounds right
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you've been working out regularly for quite a while, you'd be close to the Athlete level of 60.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    63 is just normal - I wouldn't describe it as "good".
    It's certainly not bad either though. If you don't know what is was before then at least you now have a base setting.

Not going to the gym for a few days is unlikely to have a significant impact on your RHR.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A normal resting heart rate is 60 to 100 beats per minute. So there's a very wide range of normal/healthy. Do keep in mind that there are quite a few medical issues that can affect resting heart rate, so I wouldn't automatically assume one that's on the low end of normal is purely due to good health. Mine runs low. I am relatively fit and at a good weight, but it's likely that my hypothyroidism plays a part, too.

Also, you'll need to wear your Fitbit for more than one day for it to get a really good reading. I'd personally give it at least a week before I assumed the numbers it gives are accurate.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A week off of exercise is not long enough for your resting heart rate to be impacted.
  • Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal. My resting heart rate is 51
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal. I use a Charge HR as well and have a resting heart rate of 48 to 49 bpm.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    It's normal. I have 40lbs to lose at the moment but because I was an athlete my entire life (except for the last year or so when I totally messed up) I currently have 58 BPM resting. I find that my Fitbit Surge is very accurate comparing it to my Polar and to taking my own pulse.