The struggle to quit smoking

Options
Easier said than done! The one thing holding me back from my ultimate goals. I'm not a fan of chantix or the gum. Vaping isn't the same. My stress levels on a daily basis tell me I need that smoke break and honestly, after an intense workout at the gym, that's the first thing I'm craving right after!!

Replies

• emilydurazo
    emilydurazo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not every thing posted but I know it's gross and would appreciate any new tricks/advice from long term smokers who managed to quit! TIA guys
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    As a former smoker, just like anything else you REALLY have to want to give it up. If you have any hesitation, you won't.
    For me, I made a promise to my wife that once she got pregnant, I would quit. She was kind enough to give me a month after we found out. I marked it on a calendar, was set in my mind to do it and when the day came, I quit cold turkey. Have never gone back. Now I will say that I did dream about smoking for about 2 months, but eventually they went away.
    You gotta be committed. That's the only way.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emilydurazo
    Options
    That is awesome you quit and I hear you. I have quit cold turkey a few times one being when I got pregnant and another when I started a program where it wasn't allowed. And my daughter thinks it's gross so I quit for some time time for that. But once I go back to working/school full time it's like natural instinct. That stress is real and is literally going to kill me. Smoking has always been my 5 min of peace break
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That is awesome you quit and I hear you. I have quit cold turkey a few times one being when I got pregnant and another when I started a program where it wasn't allowed. And my daughter thinks it's gross so I quit for some time time for that. But once I go back to working/school full time it's like natural instinct. That stress is real and is literally going to kill me. Smoking has always been my 5 min of peace break
    As long as you think of it that way................you may never quit. You CAN supplant a different habit to try to break it though.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • emilydurazo
    Options
    Lol thanks... Yea I know it's hard but I can do it. I've managed to quit drinking and I thought that was going to be the hardest but this is much harder trying to quit this time around. I need to focus on how much better my workouts feel and how much better I can see and breathe when I don't. Smoking is so nasty idk why I do it.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Hey there, so happy you're even trying to quit, that's awesome!! I quit 11 years ago, after smoking for 23 years. The secret is, you really have to WANT to quit...I tried at least 10 times before it stuck...tried the gums, the patch wasn't bad but cheating with it on was a NIGHTMARE......in the end, it was my own disgust with myself that kept me off them; Sitting at a funeral for my father in law, and myself and every one of my bro and sis in laws are outside smoking....I was so ashamed that those damn cigarettes were stronger than my grief and my love for that man.......by the end of the funeral, I had my last cigarette on the way home. My hubby still smokes, TWICE as much as he did then, but I'm very rarely tempted by it, usually the exact opposite.
  • emilydurazo
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story!! And sry for your loss...it really sucks when every one around you smokes when you're trying to quit. I was able to do that with alcohol I'm just like bonded to this dirty habit. I guess enough eye rolls from my daughter every time I step out should and will do it for me! Addiction is the devil!!! Mind over matter
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lol thanks... Yea I know it's hard but I can do it. I've managed to quit drinking and I thought that was going to be the hardest but this is much harder trying to quit this time around. I need to focus on how much better my workouts feel and how much better I can see and breathe when I don't. Smoking is so nasty idk why I do it.
    It's the nicotine. Damn cigarette companies KNEW that it's addictive. Funny, but I quit drinking because then I wanted to smoke.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm more concerned I'll put on weight when I quit for good. I did stop for some time but it just got way out of hand.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy kept my mind off of it. I also found it easier if I stayed away from smoking situations, because the habitual part of it was just as strong as the nicotine addiction. Like going out to drink -- there is no way I could do that without smoking. But then the laws changed, and a lot of places became smoke-free, so my habit had to change. I also tried to hang out more often with friends who were not smokers. But ugh. It takes a long damn time to not want to smoke. But eventually, something finally clicked for me, and the smell of it became horrible to me and there was no going back. Hope you get there!
  • llello75
    llello75 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at the age of 15 and smoked almost 2 packs a day for approximately 10 years. The way I was able to successfully stop smoking is to prolong the very first cigarette. My first cigarette would be at about 6 o'clock in the morning before breakfast. So then I conditioned myself not to smoke my first cigarette till after breakfast at 7:30. Then I force myself not to smoke my first cigarette till 9 AM. Then not till lunch, then not till one and so forth and so on. Before I knew it I was at my first cigarette till after dinner, then just decided what the hell am I smoking for?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I quit September 8 2010, not that I'm keeping track.
    I'd quit several times before for a few years at a time, but would get sucked back in by stress, or at the bar.
    I was never a heavy smoker, 1/2 pack a day usually. But it was getting worse as my stress and anxiety grew. And I wasn't enjoying it anymore.
    Then I had a surgery scheduled and my dr said he wouldn't do it if I didn't quit a month before.
    So I did. Cold turkey. I only smoked outside at that point, so I didn't go to where I smoked. I chewed a lot of gum. They'd banned smoking in bars and I stopped drinking anyway.
    I didn't have any friends left that smoked.
    The hardest part was the drive to work with my coffee, but after 2 weeks I was fine.

I don't miss it, I don't miss the smell, taste or cost. Cigarettes in NJ are very expensive and I'd rather buy something healthy. I also don't lose my breath when I'm working out the way I used to.
    Basically, nothing bad has happened as a result of me quitting smoking. It's the best thing someone can do for themselves.
  • deliagordon
    deliagordon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey. I just recently quit smoking. Today marks 4 weeks for me! I had been saying for months that I wanted to quit , I just didn't know how. I was going to try the gum but didn't want to keep nicotine in my system. I wanted to get it out. So I set a date which happened to be when I was laid off work for 2 weeks and I weaned my self. I also downloaded an app called "Drop it " that helped so much. It lets you see how far you have come not smoking. How much money you've saved and how your health is improving. Highly recommend. I was a smoker since I was 13 and I'm 33 now. I really just got tired of the hold it had on me. I feel free from that hold. And trust me..I'm a single mom with 4 kids and my stress levels can get pretty high..lol. Also I used dove dark chocolate to help cravings. Just throw a bag In the freezer and eat as needed. Reward yourself when you reach a milestone. I do every 2 weeks I make it! I hope this helps and good luck on quitting. If I can...You can!! :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    quit 6 years ago cold turkey and for no reasons - just woke up one morning and decided to quit smocking after 10+ years .
    What helped me at the beginning was drinking a lot of fluids to flush the nicotine off the system.
    As many said - it is important to want to quit smoking.
  • mary25osman
    mary25osman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    After 11 years of smoking I was finally able to quit. Cold turkey, it was so hard and I'm not gonna lie, I bought 3 packs of cigarettes in 3 months while I quit. Felt guilty and threw half a pack away every time. I substituted my cravings with drinking a full glass of water and snacking on crackers or anything that would keep mind busy for a few minutes like a mind game on my phone or a quick nap or just lay down. People keep saying you really have to want to quit to successfully quit. But while I wanted to quit I also didn't want to quit because it was the only thing helping me through stress. But I remembered that a craving only lasts upto 3 minutes and during that time I distract my mind with something else. It's not easy.... it's so hard, but easier after 3 days, then after 3 months you think about it sometimes but you can now control your mind into thinking you don't need it. After about 5-9 months you don't even think about it anymore except when you pass someone smoking and all you think is, that smells so gross. The best advice I can give you is even time you crave a cigarette, think about how many toxins are going into your body and keep telling yourself it's gross and will slowly kill you. Keep repeating that. It works. Your cravings are controlling your mind into thinking that's the only thing that will relieve the stress, when it's only making it worse. Its up to you to get your mind to control your craving. Substitute the craving or trigger with something else you enjoy a lot. All the best! Just remember you are stronger than the craving and that you can beat it!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No helpful advice here, just that you need to muscle it through. No way around that. It gets a bit easier after a while. Also make sure to keep watching your calories or you may end up stress eating your way into square 1.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've always been an active person. Always at gym or sports etc. I was never a heavy smoker but I got to point where I'd smoke before gym and want one straight after like it was a reward for working out. I quit because it got to the stage I was DISGUSTED at the fact I was a slave to a cigarette. The look and smell of them turned my stomach. That was 6 years ago. I had no cravings, no desire to start again.
    However, I replaced cigarettes with personal training. I replaced the money I spent on *kitten* with 2 personal training sessions a week to show me and challenge me with something new.
    I had to occupy my mind on something new and focussed my work stress into working out.
    At the end of the day it is finding a different coping mechanism other than smoking.
    At work I'd have a heal tea instead of smoking.
    It was walking away from your work station for 5 mins, make a tea or even go for a walk round block.
    There ARE things u can do to have your 5 mins peace that aren't *kitten* if you CHOOSE to do them. Hell, if you're lucky enough at work to grab a colleague to go for quick walk round block, have a verbal dump about work then get back to it, do it.
    Sun, fresh air helps. It really is changing habits of where n when you'd normally smoke. But after all that you really REALLY have to want to quit, not just because you 'know you should'.
  • emilydurazo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback and testimonies!! You all kick *kitten* for quitting and sticking to it! Really helps and motivates me to stop so thank you. I've only had two today when normally I would've had at least 6 by now...I did eat some crap in between tho and that is my biggest fear is that I'll turn that bad habit into bad eating habits...my cravings for salty sweets are insane and I definitely filled that void today :( I never buy it and I just filled half my cart with horrible things at the store :neutral: Full of major regret I guess I will just let my daughter eat it lol smoking fights those cravings too it's so hard man
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey Sept 28th 2014. You have to make up your mind to quit...really want to quit. It isn't easy, but you can do it!
  • emilydurazo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm making Monday day one quitting cold turkey!! It's my birthday so I think that's a good goal day :wink: haha i should right now though I just ran out lol...Think I'm gonna!! Away with the dirty gross cancer sticks!