Not sure...

Options
Not really sure how it came up with 2580 daily calorie goal. That seems kinda high? I'm not able to walk or exorcise much because of back problems also.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Your height, weight, age, sex?
  • Lunnaku
    Lunnaku Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    5"9', 420, 28, male. Yeah I know. I'm gross.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    At your weight that number is probably correct. It takes a lot more calories to maintain 420 pounds than you probably realise. I know I was pretty surprised when I started to see how many calories I need in maintenance and to realise just how much I must have been consuming.

Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say it sounds pretty accurate. Give it a go for a few weeks and then adjust. You might be surprised. Plus it's much easier to stick to if you aren't hangry all the time. The program doesn't take exercise into consideration until you enter it as done, then it will give additional calories to eat.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that financial issues are effecting your health decisions. Surgery is available on the NHS here in Britain and becoming routine and popular.
    But I'm pleased to hear that you have the help of a dietician. You are young and you have your whole life ahead of you.
    Fix your thoughts on a successful diet and the fact that you'll NEVER let yourself re-gain the weight again.
    Good luck and best wishes.
  • pltjess
    pltjess Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Definitely just give it a shot. You can always adjust as you go, and it will decrease as you lose weight. For instance, my current goal is 1,800 but I'm a 250lb woman. It takes a lot for us to have maintained the weight that we're at, so it seems almost shocking when you see just how many calories you can actually eat and still lose weight. Get to tracking, get a food scale so you can be more precise with your food choices, and get to losing! :) You've got this. (Also, hi from a former fellow Mainer! Get outside for some of that fresh air for me, will ya?)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Lunnaku wrote: »
    Not really sure how it came up with 2580 daily calorie goal. That seems kinda high? I'm not able to walk or exorcise much because of back problems also.

For your size, 2580 doesn't sound high at all. I'm close to half your weight and twice your age and have been losing weight consistently (average about 1 lb./week) for a year at 2300-2400 calories/day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you could get inspiration from John Glaude's story.

He is super positive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

Given this, 2580 isn't a lot at all. I started out at 220 Lbs 5'10" and 38 years old and lost about 1 Lb per week at 2200-2300 calories per day. Right now I maintain at around 3,000ish
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're no more gross than anyone else here who has a lot of weight to lose. You don't have to be self-conscious here. You're in good company.

This! Here there is no self-consciousness; just good people trying their best to make their goals. Welcome!
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Try to picture yourself as the man you could be without being so self-critical.
    You and I are the same height, and I began this journey pushing 300 pounds and felt like garbage.
    My average weekly weight loss has been .73 pounds per week, but at day's end my whole life and health is transformed.
    I am down to about 170 pounds and have decided to lose even more to reach what I view as a perfect weight.
    It's been a 7 year journey, so my advice to you is set a long-term goal but enjoy every step in on your road to freedom.
    When we get are achieved goals, but in this journey we become very different people.
    Good Luck To You
    :)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    OP good for you! I wish you a successful time on MFP!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »

Dude, you're no more gross than anyone else here who has a lot of weight to lose. You don't have to be self-conscious here. You're in good company.

I totally agree. In fact, you're weight isn't what determines if you are a gross person. It's how you treat others. If you are kind hearted, there's nothing gross about you. Be encouraged.

Looking back, my wording might have been off. I meant it as all positive. I hope that got across.