Advice

Options
I was just wondering... I'm trying to tone up (and loose fat) so am I best doing lots of reps of small weights, medium number of reps with medium weights, or fewer reps with higher weights. The reason i ask is that some of the weights I started out with seem to be a bit light now (i do 2 x 15 reps for each machine) Can anyone help?!

Replies

• REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering... I'm trying to tone up (and loose fat) so am I best doing lots of reps of small weights, medium number of reps with medium weights, or fewer reps with higher weights. The reason i ask is that some of the weights I started out with seem to be a bit light now (i do 2 x 15 reps for each machine) Can anyone help?!
  • twobitford
    Options
    If the weights seem light now you should either add more sets or go up in weight.
    I would go up in weight, you should check out bodybuilding.com, It is not just for body builders but has a wealth of knowledge.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    For toning you will want high reps. 8 - 12, 10 - 15, something along that line for upper body. I generally go higher reps for leg exercises. [edit: and a lot higher for abs.]

Eventually, those weights are going to stop being any sort of challenge (Here's to your health! :drinker: ) and you will need to upgrade.

I agree, bodybuilding.com is a great site. :smile: I also like http://exrx.net/
  • kris23
    kris23 Posts: 44
    Options
    raise your reps, I do 60's and 80's of reps but its with the pyramid technique, start with 18 then 16, 14, 12, 10 and so on, stop and stretch breifly (only 5 seconds or so) between each set. If you don't feel the burn then up the weights slowly, only about two pounds at a time.