Diet help asap

Replies

• Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Don't make the process harder than it needs to be! Forget about "diet food." I assume you've been buying groceries on your budget now. Make a few swaps. Swap a bag of chips for a bag of apples, a bag of chicken nuggets for a family pack of chicken breasts, a pack of hot dogs for turkey lunch meat. All similar in price but more nutrition and fewer calories for your dollars. If you drink pop, swap it for a case of water or a Brita pitcher. Eggs are cheap and super versatile. Frozen veggies are cheap, low calorie meal bulkers.

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Eggs, oatmeal, rice, beans, potatoes, and chicken. All cheap and easy to cook. Chicken and rice + bbq in a bowl, boom dinner. Use some vegetables, soup. learn to cut up a whole chicken, takes two minutes and you can roast and entire fryer chicken for 6 bucks.

Meat goes on sale, go in the middle of the week. Get roasts for half off, cheap thighs and drumsticks, whole chickens for 3 bucks. Eating real food can be really cheap and really good if you put in a bit of effort.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Also,

EACH BAG OF CHIPS AND COOKIES YOU BUY COULD BE A POUND OF BEEF OR 2LBS OF CHICKEN STOP BUYING JUNK FOOD IT'S EXPENSIVE, SODA TOO GET A DAMN FILTER AND DRINK FROM THE TAP.

Yes, bolded and caps locked for a reason.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    A tip I learned when totally broke was to pad out mince/ground meat with lentils, I found yellow ones to "disappear" easiest. It adds cheap protein and carbs and the pickiest of eaters won't notice.

This is a UK based blogger but any unrecognised ingredients can be Googled, they're usually just called something different. Added bonus that we don't use cups for measurements so you have to use a food scale so bonus for accuracy. https://cookingonabootstrap.com/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I see budget bytes is mentioned. Bravo.

OP if you don't know where to start and you don't know how the pounds added up, MFP is a great way to inform yourself. I suggest you do invest in a food scale so you get a full appreciation of how the calories add up. About $30 from Wal Mart.

I agree with others that the money you might spend on ready made meals is better invested in the basics. Frozen veggies, a variety of low fat meat like chicken and ground beef, eggs, rice, potatoes, beans and lentils.

You can eat normal food just watch your portions.

Meal plan around dinner and make enough extra for leftovers for lunch the next day. Stews, pasta sauces, and chillies are easily made in bulk, freeze well, and are far less expensive than ready made. Price out a serving one day and you will be shocked at the difference.

The

https://www.choosemyplate.gov

Can help you figure out what sorts of foods should be on your plate.

I suspect snacks are where the extra poundage is coming from. If you focus on filling up at the main meals, you can save a lot of money and reduce significant calories too. If you miss having something to munch on, plain popcorn is cheap and low calorie. Or carrots.

http://lifehacker.com/5607024/make-microwave-popcorn-using-a-simple-brown-paper-bag
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Kindrex30 wrote: »
    Thanks you guys. I never grew up with my parents cooking anything besides hamburger helper. I don't really know much about healthy eating. I'm determined to step out of my bubble and start learning

This is interesting, and it explains why so many food diaries I look at on here seem to have mainly restaurant stuff, and store bought ready-made meals. Most of the food I enter in my diary is made at home from groceries we purchased. I've seen home cooking from my grandparents, to my parents, and now in my own house, so I guess it is a completely different reality.

For exercise you don't need to go to the gym. There are simple things you can do in the house even without any equipment, or you can walk (or run) for 30 minutes each day.
  • River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Is there an Aldi near you? They have rock bottom prices on tons of products. The one near me has gallon milk and dozen eggs for less than a dollar each. Check often for meat sales because they don't advertise like other places.

Frozen vegetables have become a lifesaver for me. I don't have to worry about them spoiling, and there are a lot of varieties out there. I tend to roast them in the oven with whatever meat I'm cooking that day. It brings out a different flavor entirely.

I've learned when to shop at my town's Wal-Mart, too. They put deli meat on clearance early in the morning at half price in my store when it's due to expire in a few days. Two weeks in a row I scored on several packs of meat for less than two dollars each.

Check local sales papers and meal plan around what's on sale. If chicken is on sale, roast enough to make two or three dishes out of it, saving more money.

Go meatless once a week. There are plenty of ways to get in protein without meat. Several vegetables (like Brussels sprouts... one of my favorites) have protein. Beans and eggs are also great sources.

There are more ways to save money. Simply follow some of the advice we've offered, and make it a challenge to see if you can save more than last time. It'll work!
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks you guys. I never grew up with my parents cooking anything besides hamburger helper. I don't really know much about healthy eating. I'm determined to step out of my bubble and start learning

YouTube! Seriously! Or even the videos on fb like skinny taste. But if you're not comfortable with basic kitchen skills (wtf does Sautee mean anyway? Dice, chop, mince, fillet my fingers...it's all the same! Lol!) YouTube the terms. I'm convinced there is nothing not on YouTube lol. And the bonus is, the excitement of learning new skills/recipes helps me be motivated to cook. And if you get Miss Picky Pants involved, her acceptable food range will expand. Shoot, put her in charge of finding the YouTube videos for recipes.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    EatThisMuch.com--you can set it to avoid foods you don't like and even to meet a budget. A lot of wonderful food is dirt-cheap, and after all it never costs more to eat smaller servings.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    I just toss black beans or pinto beans into crock pot (1 cup, rinsed) and fill the pot with water. Then I cook it on low for 8 hours and I'm satisfied with what comes out.
  • Kindrex30
    Kindrex30 Posts: 13 Member
    Gena575 wrote: »

YouTube! Seriously! Or even the videos on fb like skinny taste. But if you're not comfortable with basic kitchen skills (wtf does Sautee mean anyway? Dice, chop, mince, fillet my fingers...it's all the same! Lol!) YouTube the terms. I'm convinced there is nothing not on YouTube lol. And the bonus is, the excitement of learning new skills/recipes helps me be motivated to cook. And if you get Miss Picky Pants involved, her acceptable food range will expand. Shoot, put her in charge of finding the YouTube videos for recipes.

I really like this idea! Thank you!
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Jack monroe is a famous blogger who started blogging when she had little money to feed her and her son. Lots of cheap healthy recipes.

https://cookingonabootstrap.com/
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    I am curious about your state's government assistance program. A single parent would never be denied food stamps here in AZ, even if they had a job.
  • Kindrex30
    Kindrex30 Posts: 13 Member
    I am curious about your state's government assistance program. A single parent would never be denied food stamps here in AZ, even if they had a job.

MN Scott County and Dakota County. I've applied at both counties in various years. They literally told me I could quit my job completely or have another child to qualify for help. I just don't understand. And I don't want to depend on the state for assistance. But sometimes life happens and I struggle for a bit. I always make it through. I threw a fit once and they finally gave me $98 for food for one month. While I have a friend in Minneapolis who just her and her daughter get $300 a month in food plus she got 6 months rent and utilities paid. I feel like our system sucks. Especially depending on which County you live in. So if people feel like I haven't asked for help in have. The system fails.
  • ogmomma2012

MN Scott County and Dakota County. I've applied at both counties in various years. They literally told me I could quit my job completely or have another child to qualify for help. I just don't understand. And I don't want to depend on the state for assistance. But sometimes life happens and I struggle for a bit. I always make it through. I threw a fit once and they finally gave me $98 for food for one month. While I have a friend in Minneapolis who just her and her daughter get $300 a month in food plus she got 6 months rent and utilities paid. I feel like our system sucks. Especially depending on which County you live in. So if people feel like I haven't asked for help in have. The system fails.
    Yeah for real, I make 25k/yr and maybe it's because AZ has better qualifiers but I am married with one toddler and we get $200/mth. Only one of us works.

Crazy crazy stuff. Churches do the food box thing, I'm sure you know the drill, buy in-season produce, shop meat sales etc. We are fortunate where we live, I don't know if you have an Albertsons or a store affiliated but they have amazing steak sales. It is literally the only time we eat steak. $60 for sometimes over $180 worth of steak.

• LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member

I believe all of the states in the US have income cutoffs whether you are a single parent or not
  • LisaKay91
    Chicken breasts and thighs are usually under 1.99 a pound and I buy a large bag of frozen vegetables that is under 4.00. I don't eat a lot of breads or carbs but they're a good idea if you aren't able to eat your calories with just meat and vegetables. You can add olive oil to the vegetables to add more fat and calories. I bought at least a dozen different seasonings. Maybe buy a new one every shopping trip? They are generally around 2.50 each where I am located and eventually you'll have a lot of season options for the food you make
  • ogmomma2012
    LisaKay91 wrote: »

I believe all of the states in the US have income cutoffs whether you are a single parent or not

Yes but she's unemployed. It doesn't make sense.
  • ogmomma2012
    I guess to be more relevant to the conversation, despite my low income I lost my first 50lbs walking 1 mile twice per day and investing in a food scale. If you have small salad plates and toddler bowls, those are also good steps towards learning portions. It most certainly is enough to fit a damn "serving" of Special K, which I was all about when WIC allowed it.

If you have WIC in your county/state, even if all you have is state health insurance you qualify for food assistance that way.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 wrote: »

Yes but she's unemployed. It doesn't make sense.

Yeah that part doesn't make much sense. They could be using her assets against her if she owns a vehicle or has money in a checking account?

How do you pay for rent/utilities/etc if you are unemployed? I do hope you find a job soon! Grocery shopping can be daunting when you're trying to eat healthier and don't have a lot of money to do it. Back when I had to make things stretch I stuck with the basics- rice, chicken, frozen vegetables.

Try calling 2-1-1 and see if you can get in touch with food banks in your area.. around here they just require your ID and social security card of the household and you get food every 2-6 weeks