Anyone here love rock climbing?

Options
jbenji07
jbenji07 Posts: 10 Member
Hey! I got this app because I want to lose a few lbs and become a stronger climber. I'm still about 25 lbs heavier than my ideal climbing weight.

I've been climbing about 2.5 years. I've climbed all over in that time... Smith Rock, OR; City of Rocks, ID; Maple Canyon, UT; Horseshoe Canyon, AR; Red River Gorge, KY; and a bunch of other places. I love it! I'm just starting to get into trad climbing.

Any way, add me if you'd like!

Replies

• mymeggie
    mymeggie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have been looking for some climbers on here. I am also looking to lose some weight for the same purpose, about 15-20lbs. I have been climbing for 6-7 years now. I am stuck at a plateau (11a-b/v6-7)... just trying to break through it. I live close to the Gunks and frequent the Red as well. I am a boulderer at heart, but I love sport and sometimes trad too. I am hoping to be in shape for the Fall.
  • Athomemermaid
    Athomemermaid Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try! I imagine you need upper body strength.. which I don't have..
  • mymeggie
    mymeggie Posts: 6 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @StrengthPowerStamina and @relroberts8 , a local climbing gym is a great place to start. It is a fun way to work out. Upper body strength comes surprisingly quick with just a few days a week at the climbing gym. When I started, I couldn't do a single pull-up, so it is possible to start with minimal upper body strength. You use a lot of your legs too.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to climb a little and do some bouldering, but I have been out of shape for a while. I would live to get back to it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try! I imagine you need upper body strength.. which I don't have..

At beginner levels, you will learn to use your legs and balance plus technique so strength is only one part of it. Simply keep your hips into the wall by activating the calves, hamstrings and glutes will take a lot of strain off the hands.

Of course, over time, your upper body strength will improve. My 50 something friend wasn't able to do a single pull up; now she can do 15 in a row after already having climbed for a couple of hours!