Working nights

Options
Anyone here work nights? What's you eating schedule like? Do you eat every couple hours or one meal?

Replies

• SC_Mermaid
    SC_Mermaid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was working overnights 10:00 PM to 7:30 AM and my eating habits turned to garbage. I was eating "dinner" at 3 AM and "breakfast" at 3 PM and that was eat and tons of snacking during the shifts. I put on about 10 lbs so that why I'm back on MFP to fix it. What are your typical hours like?
  • merryward13
    merryward13 Posts: 1,662 Member
    Options
    I work nights too. 7p-7a. I just eat when I'm hungry. Pack meals and protein bars. Avoid the vending machine.
  • Keladrin
    Keladrin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've done nights for the last year and only in the last month or so found what works for me.

I work 7-7, and generally wake between 12 and 2pm. I will eat breakfast then, i try to have lunch before i start to get ready to leave for work, so about 5:30/6pm, a snack about 8/9pm and then dinner at about midnight.

Then no more food until i wake up again, this gives about 12 hours or no food which is what a normal day would be like, if i feel a bit hungry, i tend to drink something, but normally i'm okay, it just takes time for your body to get in line with the thinking.
  • mulberry_xoxo
    mulberry_xoxo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    SC_Mermaid wrote: »
    I was working overnights 10:00 PM to 7:30 AM and my eating habits turned to garbage. I was eating "dinner" at 3 AM and "breakfast" at 3 PM and that was eat and tons of snacking during the shifts. I put on about 10 lbs so that why I'm back on MFP to fix it. What are your typical hours like?

My hours are 6pm to 630am. I just want to know what works for everyone. Working nights has made me gain weight so I'm looking to fix that.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Anyone here work nights? What's you eating schedule like? Do you eat every couple hours or one meal?
    I'd usually eat once, and about half into my shift, I'd sneak in some exercise.

I can mask a full body calisthenic routine out of nothing on the night shift.
  • jonmcooke79
    jonmcooke79 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when working nights too. I tended to pack extra food like snacks to control for the only other options available - a company fridge packed with sodas. I had no other options nearby so I had to plan the meals in advance. I think planning will go a long way. If you have those kinds of hours then try to prepare meals on the weekend.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work 11PM to 7AM 5x a week. I typically eat 2x, once at work usually between 4 and 6AM and once at home around 11am to Noon. Some nights I am so busy that I only eat at home after work. I typically avoid eating 2hrs before going to bed. The reason for that is I find the need to go to the bathroom if I eat then immediately go to sleep a few hours in, interrupting my rest. I exercise usually in the mornings after work at the gym 3x a week and sometimes I'll get in a 1/2 hr walk a 3 to 4x a week during downtimes at work.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think it's going to depend on your sleep schedule. I worked nights (7-7) 3 days a week, and my schedule was completely flipped, while some of my coworkers went back to a normal day schedule on their days off.

I would usually wake around 3-4, eat a full meal before leaving for work, have a packed lunch during my shift and a couple of snacks, and usually have a light meal on my way home. Maybe 300 calories or so.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I work 3rd shift. I get a break every 2hrs so my 1st break I eat a light snack, 2nd break I eat a small meal, and 3rd is either nothing or another small snack depending how I feel. My light snacks are usually veggies w/ a little dip, small amt. of dried fruit, or a cranberry nut bar.

At home I usually eat "breakfast" which isnt usually breakfast foods. Ill skip lunch because Im sleeping and Ill make/eat dinner with the family.
  • bshrom
    bshrom Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift, My shift runs from 6pm-5:30am. I generally eat some sort of breakfast like item around like say 2:30-3:00 in the afternoon before I start getting ready for work. My first break is at 9:15pm and I will usually have a cliff bar, fruit, and some raw veggies and a liter of water. My lunch break is at 12:30am and I have a large meal at this break. I will usually have either potatoes, gluten free pasta with sauce and vegan cheese, or rice. I will bulk this meal out with lots of cooked veggies. My last break is at 3:15am but I for some reason never eat at this break, I think because it's nearing the end of the night and I'm getting tired at this point so I'm not really even thinking of food. Hope this helps you out