Temptations of being a college student

Options
Hi all, I been here for about two years now and was doing well at one point, but I went back to my old habits and is now 316 lbs which is maddening considering I've never been in the 300 range before. Last time I was here regularly, I was around 280 and doing well for myself. But due to a family death, life stress, and overall negativity and dealing with a severe case of depression which is still going on, the weight goal took a turn for the worse. Fast forward to today, and I got my Associate's Degree last year, and I am now working on my Bachelor's in Business Administration. With a 4 year college comes meal plans and money that I can use anytime I want for the year. The issue here is that it's always tempting to go to a dining hall and eat to my hearts content of the stuff that I like such as hamburgers, pizza, etc. The next issue is dealing with the food that I can afford for now because I don't have a job, although I'm working on it as I got accepted into a work study program. So the typical food is hot pockets, instant cup ramen, etc. So for those that are in college now or have already finished it months or years ago, were you able to remove the temptation and ate healthy while maintaining good grades? The campus does have a gym with all the bells and whistles which why should that go to waste right?

Replies

• daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm in the second year of my chemistry PhD program, so I totally get where you're coming from. At the beginning of my senior year in undergrad, I had lost a total of 96lbs (I had another 104lbs to lose beyond that). Then I stopped worrying about what I ate, since trying to maintain high grades for a bachelor's in chemistry, working full-time, and getting ready for grad school was so stressful and kept me so busy.

Fast forward to this past May, the end of my first year in grad school, when my lab coat wouldn't button around my hips and I had to come to terms with the fact that I regained almost 70lbs in about two years.

I've managed to lose almost 40lbs of that regain this summer, and I'm 100% committed to keeping it up. I'm working so hard on getting this PhD to better my life, I also want to work hard on bettering my health by losing this weight.

Sorry for rambling, the whole point was to encourage you and tell you that you can do both. You can keep your grades up and earn your degree while losing weight. And if sometimes it gets too stressful, you can even switch to maintenance during exams (which is my emergency plan for this semester). Even if you have to eat the cheaper convenience food, just count your calories. You can do this, good luck!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    As long as your meal plan includes more nutrient-dense foods that promote satiety, you should be able to at least avoid gaining. Look for high fiber and a decent amount of fat & protein. Something high fat with a lot of calories? Have a smaller portion and bull it up with veggies.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight during my junior year of college. I didn't go to the dining hall, but I also didn't eat hot pockets and ramen. You can eat pretty cheap by learning to cook. Rice, pasta, frozen/fresh vegetables, beans, stuff in cans, chicken, potatoes... You can make a homemade pizza for like $3 (I know that doesn't sound healthy but I basically live off of homemade pizza). Don't think the only way to each cheap is buying things that are pretty much already made for you!
    My best advice for the dining hall is to get a salad with every meal because it takes time to eat and will help you feel like you've had a larger meal. Just be conscious about how much you eat and have self control. Don't get dessert every time unless you can somehow make it fit into your calorie allotment.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning my 4th (and final!!) year now, working towards my bachelor of business administration in accounting and in management information systems. So I feel ya. Ironically, my biggest challenge is going to my parent's place for the holidays and summer, but I digress.

My freshman year was the only year I was required to, and therefore did, purchase a meal plan. I let myself get out of control. I mean, the meal plan was expensive, so of course I was going to get my money's worth, right? Which is too easy to do with a buffet. The meal plan also came with "dining dollars" with which to eat at any of the restaurant on campus - Mooyah, chick fil a, panda expess, Moe's, etc became a regular for me that year. So I get that too. Long story short, I went from 165 to 198, my highest weight ever, in a semester.

The next semester, I had the same meal plan, but made wiser choices. Lost the weight I'd gained. Just choosing to forgo the extra slice of pizza for a more filling side salad. Or going to the homestyle station and getting whatever they where having that day (always an entree and some side veggies) rather than the grill, where they always served hamburgers and fries, etc.

Also, to your other point, I haven't had a meal plan for the past two years, and eating better doesn't have to be expensive. Sophomore year, I too believed in the ready-meals. But last year I realized, like another poster said, that beans rice, pasta, veggies, etc. aren't all that pricey. I don't spend more than I used to on ready-meals. As a matter of fact, everytime I look at hot pockets now, my jaw drops at the sheer priciness of them lol. January - April of this year, I lost 23 pounds by just making more of an effort and doing a little more cooking :)

Meal plans are not bad, if you make the best of them as it comes to your goals. There are salads and fruit, and no, you definitely don't have to give up everything. Just, instead of 2 slices of pizza, have 1 and a salad. Or instead of a burger everday, have burger Friday's and switch it up the all the other days. Things like that. Also, cooking and eating healthy doesn't have to be expensive. It can be, but it doesn't have to. Don't change everything too fast, or you will rebound. Just make small, manageable-for-you, changes along the way. Walk around the perimeter of the grocery store and just price some things that sound interesting to you, just to get an idea. Take note that some foods seem pricey, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. Coming back to school and restocking my apartment took a bit more than I would like to spend. It makes you think fast food and Ramen is the better choice. But, for one person, 5 pounds of chicken breast last forever, rice last an eternity, etc. Aside from the berries, yogurt, and a few veggies that I like to eat, I won't have to buy groceries for a while.

I'm so sorry. I'm really wordy and totally wrote you a book. But really, it's all to say you're not alone in your struggle, and to give you some encouragement and some ideas that could benefit you in the long run :) I wish you the best!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're using food as a coping mechanism. Rather than just treating the symptom and risk the weight gain that you had recently, try starting counseling while working on a reasonable weight loss program. So long as food is what you reach for first for emotional comfort you will struggle.
  • NS3210
    NS3210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions from everyone! I believe the key is to gradually change my lifestyle and not all at one time. If I become strict the next day, I'll get burn out way too easily, and before you know it, I quit and gain even more weight than before. I believe that is the root of the problem. Too strict way too early on.
  • Lucy221
    Lucy221 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I work a 40 hour week as an accountant and I am studying for my chartered exams and a masters degree in accounting and business.... Being prepared and planning ahead is the only way I can fit in regular exercise and have healthy food. I make my meals in advance and even bulk cook food some weekends and freeze portions for when I am crazy busy.

In the couple of weeks before an exam I try to maintain my weight loss but don't have time to hit the gym. I have healthy snacks in the house but sometimes you just have to reprioritise things in the short term and make sure you make the most of the buzz after exams to get back on track and in the gym.

Good luck with studies and your fitness journey.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Have you actually done the math on your meal plan? I cancelled mine entirely when I realized that, when the math was done, it ended up being 13 dollars per meal and I just was not able to justifying spending 26 dollars a day on food. I could eat for far less, even not considering health - I spent many meals just eating McDoubles because I didn't care back then, but financially the meal plan wasn't viable. That might remove one of your unhealthy options and make it a bit easier?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm also working on my bachelors in business, marketing though. Last year I begun my lifestyle change. I did it slowly though, and that is the key to making it stick. During my last year, I pre-made the meals I ate before class for the week. I ate a snack at school (protein bar usually, and maybe some crackers, nuts, or carrots along with it), and then came home for dinner. At this time, my workouts were done after dinner, so my dinner was usually pretty filling and full of carbs to give me the energy I desperately needed. As I look back now, I have no idea how I was able to do 2 hour cardio sessions at that time. But I did it, I stuck with it, and I lost over 90 lbs.

I have made changes to my routine since then. Now I workout in the morning before class. I eat something small before my workout (150 cal old fashioned oats, or maybe an egg and toast, something 150-200 cals), then another meal before class, which is only a few hours later (about 300-350 cals), snack at school or lunch at home on some days if I get home early enough (200-400 cal), and dinner later (400-600 cal).

Basically what I am trying to get at is that I found it very important to make a schedule around eating and exercising and stick with it every day. Find the best times or amount of time between meals to keep you satisfied and keep the cravings away. If you wait too long between meals, you will get hangry and then the temptations are very hard to resist.

I also made sure to save enough cals at the end of the day for a small dessert, it was something to look forward to when I made it to the end of the day doing a good job! :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I went though college living in the dorms with a full meal plan and didn't gain anything. You have to realize that just because it's there you don't have to eat till you're stuffed. Don't need to eat the calorie filled, nutritionally sparse desserts (killer for a diet IMO) on a regular basis.

Also most schools have an incredibly nice gym/rec building. Take advantage of it. Also, the screen (outside of what you need for classes) i.e., TV, video games, etc. is not your friend.

Best of luck.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cheap nutritious food include scrambled or hard boiled eggs, hamburger meat, tacos, soups. If you want to upgrade your ramen, add eggs or veggies. Beans and lentils are good too.
    http://www.delish.com/cooking/g559/ramen-noodle-recipes/?