a few months later, no weight loss

Options
I'm stuck at 150lbs, despite working out 3-5 times a week and counting my calories to ensure a deficit of at least 500 calories occur. My daily calories vary between 1200 and 1700 (averaging between 1400-1500) and I run and walk 2-4 miles at least 3 times a week and strength train at least 3 times a week.

In my run/walks, I run at least 1-2 full straight miles and the rest is walking at lower to higher speeds (3mph-5mph).
For my strength training, I have been seeing a personal trainer 1-2 times a week for a 1 hour sessions. My other strength training sessions I go with my fiancee and he helps me out in the gym.

A few months ago, I did not work out nor counted calories.
Shouldn't I be losing weight? I'm maintaining. I am getting stronger and I'm losing inches in some areas. Should the scale budge at least a little bit after more than a month???

health info:
I'm 5'3 and 34 years old, a few months ago I tested vitamin D deficient. I take supplements now and go outside when I can. Also, since I was about 26 years old, I was estrogen dominant and took progesterone cream. I stopped one year ago when a new doctor tested me and said my levels were fine and also said I didn't have PCOS, which was a concern due to issues with PMS. PMS issues continued and so I went to my previous doctor and she put me back on progesterone. My thyroid tested out fine.

Anyone else in a similar boat?? Advice?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How are measuring your food intake?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

^^This. Are you eyeballing your portions? Using measuring cups? A food scale?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

From the looks of her diary, she is using a measuring cup.

OP - I didn't go back much further but you appear to only have been logging since the 4th or 5th of August. You have two days not filled in at all in two weeks. You have a good amount of days on the higher end of your calorie goal.
    The other thing I noticed is you appear to be using measuring cups. And some entries are questionable - like very small portion sizes or low calorie for the type of food.
    I suspect the issue comes down to underestimating food intake.

If you are eating on the higher end of your calorie goal and underestimating food, you can very easily erase your deficit. Plus with a small deficit, one day of not logging can do a lot of damage.
  • PamWOhio
    PamWOhio Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    With all the exercising and strength training, I am guessing with you losing inches and getting stronger that you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat. I have seen that talked about a lot.
  • porcelina125
    porcelina125 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups. I try to overestimate and put a little more than what I actually eat. What scale would any of you guys recommend? I'll order one off of amazon today if it would help.

The only time I started losing weight was when I was eating 1000-1300 calories and less, many months ago, around march through april but I couldn't sustain that and work out at the same time. Maybe I just need a bigger deficit??
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, you just need to tighten up your logging. Buy a scale. Any scale. (Electronic, grams, tare function.)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Measuring cups. I try to overestimate and put a little more than what I actually eat. What scale would any of you guys recommend? I'll order one off of amazon today if it would help.

The only time I started losing weight was when I was eating 1000-1300 calories and less, many months ago, around march through april but I couldn't sustain that and work out at the same time. Maybe I just need a bigger deficit??

Get a food scale. You may think you were eating 1000 to 1300 but I bet you were eating more than you think.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_10?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=food+scale&sprefix=food+scale,aps,200
  • porcelina125
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Will get a food scale. Thanks.
    purchasing from amazon now!! :)
  • porcelina125
    Options

From the looks of her diary, she is using a measuring cup.

OP - I didn't go back much further but you appear to only have been logging since the 4th or 5th of August. You have two days not filled in at all in two weeks. You have a good amount of days on the higher end of your calorie goal.
    The other thing I noticed is you appear to be using measuring cups. And some entries are questionable - like very small portion sizes or low calorie for the type of food.
    I suspect the issue comes down to underestimating food intake.

If you are eating on the higher end of your calorie goal and underestimating food, you can very easily erase your deficit. Plus with a small deficit, one day of not logging can do a lot of damage.

Oh, the smaller portions are when I take a bite of something. But yeah, some days are missing. I used to use Calorie count and was switching over since my trainer recommended it. I didn't like myfitnesspal at first but now I am completely over on this app and not calorie count. Agree, about needing to weigh food more accurately and to do it everyday! No more slacking!

Also just to note, I didn't realize my food diaries could be viewed LOL- so I want to comment about it now that I know the world can see it.
    I've been in recovery from eating disorders since I was 16 years old. I took two years off to stop counting calories and portions, sort of reset my entire brain and body and allow myself to relearn how to eat, and to get rid of triggers. I want to learn to eat to fuel my body for health. I know my eating can still be disordered at times. (like how I tend to eat 200 calories, 200 calories, then 1000 cals).

I'm still learning to rely on how my clothes feel and how much I've improved in the gym to determine my fitness and health level.
    The scale and weight thing just irks me. If I'm taking the time and energy to try and improve myself, i don't want it to be a waste of my time.
    If I'm doing something wrong, I want to know what it is.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Sorry this was so long.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Also would suggest taking body measurements. Because so many variables can affect our scale weight, measurements can sometimes show a better overall picture. I aim for once ever week or two.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    PamWOhio wrote: »
    With all the exercising and strength training, I am guessing with you losing inches and getting stronger that you are gaining muscle which is heavier than fat. I have seen that talked about a lot.

Nobody gains muscle like that naturally. It's takes YEARS to gain a substantial amount of muscle mass.

The biggest culprits are like stated above:
    1. Underestimating intake. This can be very easy to do, but if you're tracking strictly it's easy to fix. Track everything you put in your mouth, and do it exactly with a food scale. I made the mistake in the past of tracking cooked meat, as the raw value. It's very easy to mess something up, but also very easy to fix.

2. Overestimating activity. Almost everyone thinks they're more active then they actually are. I remember a group physics project in college where one group did locomotion and energy. It was pretty surprising, but it took something like walking up 3 flights of stairs to burn the calories in 1 peanut M&M.
    I've run into problems in the past with attempting to adjust activity calories into my diet. If you're trying to lose a moderate to substantial amount of weight, this pretty much shouldn't be an issue.

What I do is try a certain calorie range (for me right now it's 1800-1900/day) for a few weeks. I've adjusted that down from 2200 in the past 3 months, incrementally in 100-200 calorie blocks. Eventually you'll find the right range for the results you're looking for. Do a minimum of at least 2 weeks though at any given range, and DO make sure you're tracking meticulously.
  • porcelina125
    Options
    UPDATE: I used my scale just a couple of times for meat and now am able to eye portions for proteins so much more accurate.

Also, I've upped my calorie allowance to take into consideration my summer break is over and I'm back on my feet for a large portion of my day- so I'm burning more calories (i'm a teacher and always very active in the classroom). I'm eating more on average, each day.

I do less cardio at home and in the gym.
    Started doing more strength training at home- my trainer gave me things I can do by myself at home without equipment. For example, when I'm laying with my cat in the bedroom, I'll do some planks, crunches, and other stuff I can't remember the names of lol.

AND LO AND BEHOLD, I've lost 5 lbs since I posted my first questions!
    Thank you for the advice and support!! Now, I will go finish my exactly 4 ounces portioned grilled Greek seasoned chicken breast and 2 cups of baby spinach ;)
    :):):)