How would you respond WITHOUT SARCASM?

Options

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I just say "yep it is a lot of work, if you decide that you wanna try it out, let me know and I will help you get started."

NO ONE can be motivated by someone else. Pretty soon they will get sick enough or miserable enough that they will eventually want to change. and only then will the "hard work" be worth it.
  • kysassyblonde1
    Options
    just tell em the hard part was putting it on..... confuse them!!!!!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I say "Counting calories"
    They say "Too much work"
    I say "It's actually really easy"
    They change the subject
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    "There's a website called MFP that makes it really easy!"
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    But its fun - guess Im a bit of a nerd :laugh:
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I tell them I have found a new wonder drug imported from the New Zealand.

Then when they perk up and say, "wow where can I get it from", I tell them the truth:-

Eat well, exercise frequently. It's not rocket science.
  • kamm602
    kamm602 Posts: 18
    Options
    I usually say, I still eat anything and everything I want, just manage my portions as I count my calories and drink lots of water.... When I start going into HOW it works they don't like it and try to weasel out of the conversation :)

My favorite though was my very own brother said "Man you have lost a lot of weight, your strating to look like a crack head (as he smirked and laughed) ... Well, I replied with man you've gained a lot of weight you are starting to look like a Pot Head!!! His girl friend is pregnant so he is on a cookies and ice cream diet... He stomped off pouting just like when we were kids... I love it :)
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for about 12 weeks now, and I've had a few people ask about "dieting" and what I'm doing for weight loss.

When I start talking about counting calories, portions, etc........I *ALMOST* always get this response:
    ( complete with the eye rolls and sound effects ) "OMG, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK...."

I can come up with a TON (no pun intended) of sarcastic remarks- but that's not the way I WANT to respond.

Surely you've encountered this- how have you handled it so that you are ENcouraging someone? Not that long ago, I was saying the same thing- so I DO understand the reaction- although I find it rather *smug*- kinda a reverse discrimination.

My favorite response I learned from a great lady on another support group forum.
    " Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard."
  • Willowalker
    Options
    My stock response is: There's 24 usable hours in every day. We don't think twice about plopping on the couch watching a movie for 2 hours. I just choose to invest that time in my health & well being. Doesn't that make sense?
  • sinkasc
    sinkasc Posts: 5
    Options
    :smile: I can relate to a similar questioning routine by my family, friends, and coworkers. Although I don't need to lose a lot of weight (15-20 lbs.) I am trying very hard to lose that much. I always get the comments like "Why are you on a diet?, You don't need to diet!"

I cannot hide my emotions well. My response is the honest to goodness truth: "Well, ______, my father and his mother died in their 50's from heart disease, my cholesterol is through the roof, and I have been told by my doctor that my belly fat needs to go. I would like to have a few more years of life."

Most people don't understand your personal reasons. It feels like you're trying to play dodgeball in knee deep water. But I keep persisting...and I'll be damned if I don't see my kids grow up.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    "I eat healthy foods, lift heavy stuff and just get out and move whereever possible"
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for about 12 weeks now, and I've had a few people ask about "dieting" and what I'm doing for weight loss.

When I start talking about counting calories, portions, etc........I *ALMOST* always get this response:
    ( complete with the eye rolls and sound effects ) "OMG, THAT'S TOO MUCH WORK...."

Half of my friends seem to think I'm gay for counting calories. On the other hand, that's the half who now (at 30) are starting to get fat when they used to be lean.

I don't usually tell people anymore unless I think they're potentially interested in doing it themselves. I usually just say something like "lifestyle change and working out / running". If someone comes to me for advice, then I say MFP and I always tell them it takes a couple of minutes / day once you've been using it for a few weeks and your regular eating habits are in the system.
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would just smile and say, "I'm worth it!" and then drop the subject.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "Track what I eat and exercise." Less words usually makes people think it's simpler...usually.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Oh. I couldn't respond without sarcasm. That is not the way of my kind.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I'd say that it is a lot of work at first, but it becomes much easier as you begin to understand the calories and correct portion sizes in the foods you eat most often. and that everything I've ever valued, I've worked for-this is no different!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options

No, me neither.

I'd probably tell them it takes less time to log your food and exercise than it takes to pick your Farmville crops.
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with just responding "I watch what I eat and began exercising" and leave it at that...most people don't want to know how unless it is some "miracle" diet. If they continue with a "good luck, that never worked for me" then offer more about MFP and how you are doing it specifically.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options

No, me neither.

I'd probably tell them it takes less time to log your food and exercise than it takes to pick your Farmville crops.

hahahaha I think I just split a gut
    responding withOUT sarcasm is my newest form of exercise in Self-Control.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tell them you're right it is tough. Usually that's it, end of conversation. If I'm feeling snarky, I say, but breathing in a coffin six feet under ground is tougher.