Snacks for surviving a long day at college

Options
Saharwhy
Saharwhy Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
So the fall semester is about to start for me and I have class from 11-7 about an hour from my home. Do you guys have any recommendations for snacks I can take to avoid eating at the restaurants on campus and to keep me full for the long day? My only dietary requirement is no nuts or peanut butter or anything

Replies

• Megansmith112712
    Megansmith112712 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Roasted chickpeas, sunflower seeds, humus and veggies, cheese sticks, I've done chocolate humus with bananas and strawberries, yogurt with fruit abs granola, baby carrots, celery, pita chips, air popped popcorn.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a microwave? Any large-ish gaps between classes? I like to bring yogurt/cottage cheese, fruit, mini babybels, cut vegetables, granola/protein bars, dry roasted edamame, and chia seed pudding.
  • Saharwhy
    Saharwhy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yum these sound good and weren't what I would normally think of!
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, rice cakes and peanut butter, apples w/peanut butter, baggies of vegetables, small bags of nuts, baggies of pre-portioned protein powder so you can just mix it in a water bottle, etc. I almost always keep an emergency protein bar in my bag if I know it'll be a long day
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Invest in a lunch box or bag. Put a bottle of water in the freezer every night & pack that as the cooling source. Then you can pack a variety of things even stuff that has to stay cold.
  • Angelajeanmcmahan85
    Angelajeanmcmahan85 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find that eating Oatmeal before I leave along w a carnations breakfast essentials will hold me over for at least 4-5+ hours. Plus drinking plenty of water.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    I eat John West's Tuna to Go during my 9 to 3 day at uni.

http://johnwest.com.au/our-range/tuna/tuna-to-go/tuna-to-go-plain-multi-pack-4x61g

Or sometimes other snacks like that.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I am in school I leave early in the morning and don't return home until late at night. I work out as well as go to my job before getting home most nights. I've found it easiest to plan basic weekday meals/snacks and rotate/adjust them as necessary.

Breakfast Items:
    • Shake (soy milk, frozen fruit, leafy greens, protein, chia seeds)
    • Vector cereal with raisins, chia/flax seed, sunflower, pumpkin seeds
    • piece of fruit (usually a tangerine or an apple)
    • yogurt
    • hard boiled egg
    • toast (if I'm eating at home)
    Usually I drink my shake first thing while I am on the bus and later on in the morning eat the rest of my breakfast. It's between 400-700 calories.

Lunch items:
    • wrap (whole wheat tortilla, beans (usually refried), leafy greens, salsa, sometimes cheese and quinoa)
    • salad or sliced veggies
    Usually between 350-500 calories

Dinner Items:
    • salad
    • stir fry
    • lettuce/bean wraps
    • lentils (If I'm super lazy, I will literally just make a bowl of lentils)
    Often on Sundays I will make a batch of rice, lentils and veggies, divide them into containers and then eat them through the week.

Snack items:
    • chicken breast
    • hard boiled eggs
    • seaweed
    • cut up veggies
    • pepperoni sticks
    • fruit
    • nuts
    • tuna snacks
    • KIND/GORP bars
    • cheese portions

Once every couple of weeks, I'll add in a steak.

I keep some back up items in my locker, as well as have a standard Subway/Tim Horton's/Starbucks order in case I need to rely on take out (which let's face it, happens as a student).

I pack a lot of my stuff in freezer ziplock bags and reuse them because they're lighter and easier to carry than Tupperware (despite what my friends may say, my backpack is NOT a bottomless pit). I am also sure to carry a fork and a spoon in my bag at all times.

Once you get a flow going, it will be easier to have a similar kind of menu, except better suited to your needs and tastes.

I make it a point to have a plant and a protein at every meal and snack.

ETA: My calorie goal is usually between 1800-2000 a day. This list here can be easily scaled to higher or lower goals.