Runners! Beginner needing advice and questions answered please!

Options
Hi! So, I'm really new to running.... Like, only 2 weeks in lol don't get me wrong, I have ran a little off and on for years. But have never enjoyed it or taken it seriously until now. But, i am really enjoying it and would like to improve. So, for the last 2 weeks I have been running between 1 and 2 miles every other day. And when I say "running" I really mean jogging fast enough to not complete a sentence but slow enough to say 2 or 3 words. I tend to be able to go about a quarter mile at a time, slowing to a fast walk for about 30sec intervals to catch my breath. So, I guess I'm wondering. Is it normal to not be able to go very far without loosing my breath? It frustrates me a little to not be able to just run at a constant pace like I see others doing.... But I know two weeks isn't much time to see results either. So, how do I work my way up? Just keep trying? Push through even when I am breathing so hard I can't talk? How do I reach a point of being able to run, even if it is at a slow pace, without stopping to walk fast? I feel almost like my body it's self could run for miles before my legs said "no more" but my lungs just aren't keeping up or something? I'm not sure what's going on, what I'm doing wrong or is this just normal when your first starting out? Also, I am breathing properly. In through the nose, out the mouth and its rhythmic with my steps. Sometimes when I get out of breath I find myself only mouth breathing, but I try not to do that and have found that it helps. But still! How do I make progress? And I know this is probably jumping ahead a little, but should I even try to I crease my milage at this point? If so, how do I go about that? I hope all that makes sense

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're running too fast.
  • blueeyez939
    blueeyez939 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    But.... Any slower and I'd just be at a fast walk :-/
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

Then walk. Build up slowly. Try a run/walk interval program like couch to 5k. It takes time to build up your lungs and even more time to get your legs used to running. Take it slow. If you can't sing while you run you are going too fast.

Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yep. You need to slooooow dooown :smiley:

It's probably the most common beginner problem.
  • bketchum1981
    bketchum1981 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running much distance but in conversations with much longer time runners, they say (and I have found) that I seem most winded in the first mile but after that breathing evens out.

I also attribute leg strength to 1-1/2 yrs of strength classes like Pilates, yoga, P90x and Insanity. Squat a lot is my mantra.

I'm 52 years old so its not like I'm some spring chicken who is fit as a fiddle,
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Slow down and also breathing through your mouth is fine and normal for running. I'd only breathe through my nose if (a) I were taking it so easy that I wasn't even trying at ALL, or (b) temporarily because there were loads of flies.
  • Rossjjjb
    Rossjjjb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I remember when I started running, around a mile I felt was my limit or my wall. So would jog, walk, jog almost the same pattern. Oneday decided to push out another quarter mile, best thing I ever done. I pushed passed my wall and although it was the slowest jog ever, I passed it and 5k followed quickly after.
    I find the backend of the 1st mile the hardest, this is due to your lungs, muscles and heart rate all suddenly picking up. After your mile you settle in to a rythem and you wanna run just below you lactate threshold, your run will become more enjoyable and distance will increase.
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You can try doing intervals of walking and running. (Ex Run 3 mins Walk 2 mins Repeat until you finish) The walking helps you catch your breath and it'll be easier on your knees. You will get stronger and find its easier to run longer as you keep going. Good on you for starting!
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    You will get there in time. When I started I couldn't make it a quarter of a mile without feeling like my organs were going to burst. But I maintained a steady pace using my Garmin watch and pushed for a bit of extra distance each week. Even if it was just another tenth of a mile. Dont get too caught up in stats so early on in the journey, focus on form and enjoy yourself :-) the times and distance will come later
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Walk/running, running/walk until you get to your official goal. Not only does your cardiovascular system have to get into proper shape, your legs, joints, ligaments and muscles do too. Remember you wanting your body to utilize oxygen. You can't rush the process or your will tax yourself out.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The hardest part of my current training is learning to run SLOW. The object of training is no longer to establish the pace at which you want to run your race and hold that pace for longer and longer periods until you reach your goal distance, (it used to be that way a while ago). Training is now to run at a "conversational pace", a pace at which you can hold a conversation and not be gasping for breath, and increase distance at that conversational pace. According to my coach, this "teaches" our bodies to burn fat, which is more plentiful but harder to access, rather that carbs, which are easier to access but more limited. In this way we build our endurance and stamina and, once this is accomplished, speed increases.

I've been at this training plan since July 4 this year, training for a Half Marathon September 25. Not only have I been able to increase my distance, my long runs to 13 miles, my 5K and 4 mile times have decreased, and the training runs are more enjoyable and I'm not burning myself out each and every week. I have also, knock on wood, kept away from injury.

Run/walk at a conversational pace. If you can't complete a sentence, you are going too fast, slow down. Walk if necessary. Start running again once you can keep that conversation going.

Increase you distance no more than 10% per week. Keeping at the conversational pace.

Keep at it. And you will get to your distance and speed will follow.

BTW, it is harder than it sounds to keep at that conversational pace, particularly at the beginning of any run. Trust me, you'll feel the effort as distance accumulates.

Enjoy.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just did my first run of week 4. Walk/run intervals are the way to go to be successful, I'm convinced. This is the longest I've ever been able to maintain any sort of running program (started off by doing my own "plan" with 30 secs running/1 min walking, and last week started using an app similar to C25K). While I haven't struggled too much with the cardio/breathing side of it (as I'm pretty fit as is), I've been very careful to build up slowly to allow my legs to get comfortable. Before, I would get shin splints within a couple of runs. Did research this time and know now what to do to prevent them, and one BIG thing is SLOW DOWN. I'm painfully slow (though today I slipped under the 8 min mile speed for one interval! :p) but my legs feel good and I can feel my wind improving.

Also, the first interval or two is almost always the worst, particularly if I don't walk enough first. I figured out if I don't walk a solid 5 minutes to start, even if I just walked the dogs, every thing feels right and awful and my breathing sucks. So, make sure you warm up appropriately!!
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    it's normal to be out of breath if you're not used to running. try c25k or a similar app and follow it religiously.it took me exactly 6 weeks to go from running 1minute and feeling exhausted and out of breath, to running 20 minutes non stop and feeling like i could go on.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Try a structured program like Couch to 5K (C25K). It has you run, walk, run, walk etc., increasing the running time gradually. It sounds like you are at a good pace to start out. Welcome to running!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    You must slow down and take it one step at a time. It is completely normal to be out of breath however you must not exert yourself so I will agree with the people before me... start with a structured program like C25K and build up from there, at your own pace. :smile:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    If running continuously for miles was easy everyone would be doing it. :smile: A structured program like Couch to 5K is definitely a good idea as is slowing down. Speed is not the goal when you start running, endurance is. Once you get the endurance down then you'll work on speed. For now, keep working at being able to run for longer stretches at a time. The intervals of a C25K program and slowing down will get you to a continuous 5K run in about 2 months.

I do have to give you props for only running every other day to start. That's a big newbie mistake. Even if your lungs and leg muscles feel like you could handle it; your joints and other body parts need time to get used to it. Also, don't jump too far ahead in the C25K training. Again, you may feel like you can easily run farther distances but if you do too much too soon you'll pay for it in injury down the road.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

If that's what it takes, walk.

It takes time to build up your aerobic base. Rather than running at a pace where you need to catch your breath try walking for 9 minutes and then running (slowly, as close to conversational pace as you can get) for 1 minute (repeat 3 or 4 times), then in a week or two walk 8, run 2 and so on until you can run continuously for 10 minutes with a 1 minute walk break. When you reach that point you have to decide if you want to continue with a run/walk method (google Galloway) or run continuously for longer periods.

Good luck & have fun!
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I ran in the Army for 20 + years, I found these things helpful.
    stretch before and after
    Breathe in though your nose, out through your mouth
    track your heartrate to determine a workout speed you can continue.
    use headphones and upbeat music so you can't hear your panting, it will also increase your pace.
    If you want to increase your pace, look at your footlengths, can you lengthen your stride , (less steps more distance)

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cosmonew wrote: »
    I ran in the Army for 20 + years, I found these things helpful.
    stretch before and after
    Breathe in though your nose, out through your mouth
    track your heartrate to determine a workout speed you can continue.
    use headphones and upbeat music so you can't hear your panting, it will also increase your pace.
    If you want to increase your pace, look at your footlengths, can you lengthen your stride , (less steps more distance)

Some of this is good info but there's been a few changes in thinking around running over the past 20 years or so. One of those deals with stretching. I was a gymnast back in the day so was surprised, myself, when I found that static stretching before exercise is now considering a big no-no. Dynamic stretching has been found to decrease injuries if done before a workout, static stretching can be done after the workout when muscles are fully warmed up. I usually start with a 2 minute brisk walk followed by some stretches I found online to activate my glutes, hamstrings and hips.

Listening to music to drown out your panting actually made me LOL. I am apparently a loud panter because I can still hear myself over mine....

The last thing you want to do is lengthen your stride, especially when first starting to run and you're going slowly. 180 steps per minute (90 each side) is the optimal cadence for running because it keeps your steps short and your feet under your center of gravity. When running really slowly it may be a bit lower than 180 but the point is to keep your feet beneath your body and not landing out in front of you. This reduces impact and that reduces injuries. Experts are now saying that where your feet land is more important than on which part of your foot you land when running. Longer strides are for sprinters because their bodies are leaning forward and the center of gravity is farther out.
  • Carolina_trail_rider
    Options
    You should try HIIT training. Go all out for 30 seconds then rest/walk for 30. Do that 20 times.