43lbs still to go..will i ever lose?

Options
I have been stuck at 43lbs for a month now and I'm so frustrated. I count my calories, see a nutritionist, watch what I eat, and I do light exercise. I have lymphedema in both legs so its hard to stand long or to move legs around when exercising. I do chair exercises while sitting and it has helped. But I'm just stuck...help!! It seems harder to lose the 40lbs compared to the 57lbs I've already lost.

Replies

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. But you seem like you're doing all the right things to lose that damn stubborn fat!

It's a tough journey but that's why many people aren't in good shape! What you need more than anything is dedication and a tough mental spirit. You can make it through this, just keep working hard!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    bggirl27 wrote: »
    I have been stuck at 43lbs for a month now and I'm so frustrated. I count my calories, see a nutritionist, watch what I eat, and I do light exercise. I have lymphedema in both legs so its hard to stand long or to move legs around when exercising. I do chair exercises while sitting and it has helped. But I'm just stuck...help!! It seems harder to lose the 40lbs compared to the 57lbs I've already lost.

Congrats on your success so far!! Have you adjusted your calorie goal since losing the first 57 lbs? Do you use a food scale? I ask because when you have a lot to lose, you have more wiggle room to eyeball portions or use measuring cups. As you get closer to goal you may need to be more precise.

Hang in there!
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Recalibrate your calorie goals. You should e eating less calories now that you are smaller.
  • bggirl27
    bggirl27 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My nutrionist doesn't want to lower my calories daily due to I still have anywhere from 300 to 600 left most days. My calorie goal is 1800.
    Yes I use a scale and measure things.
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? I'm a woman at 5'3 and 218 and right now my calories are 1340 (losing 1.5 lbs a week), so 1800 sounds high to me. Even if you're eating 1500 calories most days that may be high. I understand that a nutritionist is likely way more qualified than I am, but unless you plan on still under-eating by several hundred calories, I don't see the problem with adjusting your goal.

That said, I also have zero idea how lymphedema reacts to weight loss/holds on to water weight.
  • Flyingfingers51
    Flyingfingers51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1800 calories a day seems high, but you do need to follow the advice of your doctor and nutritionist. Have you tried drinking lots of water, and can you be just a bit more active, even if just moving your arms and body more while seated. Don't give up; keep fighting. I also have a lot of weight to lose, and it does get frustrating. I'm older and my metabolism just doesn't burn the calories like it did when I was younger. Good luck!!
  • bggirl27
    Options
    Greatatboats..lymphedema is swelling in your limbs. I have probably about 15 to 20 lbs of fluid swelling on each thigh I carry around every day. It's a struggle.
  • tonydepalma
    tonydepalma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go on a fat fast it breaks stalls big time. obesity is only cured by Ketogentic edit for most. Carbs are the enemy moderate protein and high fat work. I exercise because it makes me fell better but it's not really needed.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I agree that 1800 calories seems to be a bit high. Maybe reduce it to 1500 since you seem to be eating around that range anyway.

As for lymphedema, do you have compression socks you can wear so that you can walk a little bit? I had that too and it is hard to deal with. It does get better over time so long as you do your best to control the swelling. Compression socks and keeping your feet elevated over your heart as often as possible works wonders.
  • tonydepalma
    Options
    Calories are bogus science energy in energy out is foolish. Petter Attia endurance Athlete swam 6-7 miles a day. Ran and bicycled too. 40 pounds over weight discovered ketosis. Theeatingacademy.com
  • tonydepalma
    Options
    Low calorie edits you are always hungry. high fat you never are and burn ketones not glucose. Obesity is caused by insulin resistance. Google Gary Taubes
  • bggirl27
    Options
    Bxqtie116..I wa s doing physical therapy for my legs but I've had to stop going due to the cost, even after insurance. Anyway, therapist wanted to make sure swelling was down before I got compression socks, and I use a pump but seems fluid has just gone to inner thigh.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    bggirl27, set your mfp goal weight to the middle of the "healthy BMI" range, which is lower than you want to be, but do it. Set your activity level to "sedentary". Set your weight loss goal to 0.5 lb per week. Compare the resulting daily calorie goal to the daily calorie intake you're eating now. Is it lower? Eat less. Is it higher? Don't eat less. Maybe even cry. As others have already mentioned, 1800 seems a bit high for an average lady wanting to lose another 40 lb after already losing 50+.

I've lost 71 lb since January counting the calories in and the calories out with a broadly varied food intake. It's easy.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Calories are bogus science energy in energy out is foolish. Petter Attia endurance Athlete swam 6-7 miles a day. Ran and bicycled too. 40 pounds over weight discovered ketosis. Theeatingacademy.com

Do what now?
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Proper sentence structure would go a long way if you are trying to make a point.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    @bggirl27 Will your insurance cover for you to see a Vascular Dr? If so, make an appt and they can help with the swelling. I had to wear an una boot for a week and it's helped tremendously. They pretty much wrap your leg from the knee all the way to your feet but since you can't get it wet, I had to wrap my leg in a garbage bag with duck tape just to shower. It's a little inconvenience but it works. The boot helps to redirect the blood flow by compressing the leg. In the meantime, try elevating your leg. I would lay across my bed and raise my leg over my headboard for a few minutes everyday. I hope that helps you.

BTW, you don't need exercise to lose weight. Just log your food and eat less than what your body burns.
  • honorthecolors
    honorthecolors Posts: 33 Member
    Options

What are you doing the same? Have you tweaked your eating habits and your physical activity? For example, reduce your sugar, add some complex carbs and add some resistance. You might need to take in more calories to burn more fat. You body might be used to what you're doing right now and it might need change.

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Go on a fat fast it breaks stalls big time. obesity is only cured by Ketogentic edit for most. Carbs are the enemy moderate protein and high fat work. I exercise because it makes me fell better but it's not really needed.
    Funny, my "cure for obesity" so far has involved 50-60% of my daily calories coming from carbs and I'm down 100 pounds.

Calories are pretty much all I pay attention to and I've had no problems with my triple digit loss. Anyone doing that much exercise and gaining weight is in a calorie surplus. As simple as that.

Low calorie edits you are always hungry. high fat you never are and burn ketones not glucose. Obesity is caused by insulin resistance. Google Gary Taubes
    Again, 50-60% of my calories are from carbs, maybe 25% from fat (it fluctuates a tad) and I'm almost never hungry. I've never had my body in ketosis.

The most successful diet is the one that works for you. If you feel more satiated eating low carb go low carb, but saying that it is the only way to lose weight and that calories mean nothing is completely and utterly untrue.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    My nutrionist doesn't want to lower my calories daily due to I still have anywhere from 300 to 600 left most days. My calorie goal is 1800.
    Yes I use a scale and measure things.

Quit measuring and weigh everything ...measuring can bring in significant errors ..peanut butter, oil ...weigh them

Recalculate your calorie goals ..focus on your logging more, errors sneak in for everyone double check all food entries you use

Move more

Open your diary for specific advice

(And try to ignore the woo spouted in this thread and please don't google that charlatan Taubes ..he's a decent journalist, well he was he appears to have abandoned all journalistic and scientific integrity. His premise isn't horrific but his rationale and support is based on inaccurate use and extrapolation of observational data, some of which is almost a century old..he picks and chooses anything to validate his theories)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would imagine the lymphedema would be problematic as you get closer to goal as it will mess with your water weight significantly