High protien and high fat

Options
I don't eat a lot of breads or pastas because they make me moody.

I'm tend to eat very high in protien, moderate fat, low carb. But I only get 913 calories. If I stress too much about calories I over eat and gain weight. I'm meeting everything nutritionally just not calories. I don't think it's a big deal. If it works it works.

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    What calculator are you using that gives you 913 calories a day? The MFP minimum is 1200. Are you under a doctor's supervision?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What calculator are you using that gives you 913 calories a day? The MFP minimum is 1200. Are you under a doctor's supervision?

I thought she meant she struggles to eat more than 913 calories? Not sure now lol
  • JCSaphire
    JCSaphire Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    No not under a doctor's supervision. I use fitness pal. I eat mostly cheeses, you girt, cottage cheese, salad (with dressing, cheese, and chicken to add calories). I can never get that high. If I eat peanut butter I eat the whole jar.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JCSaphire wrote: »
    No not under a doctor's supervision. I use fitness pal. I eat mostly cheeses, you girt, cottage cheese, salad (with dressing, cheese, and chicken to add calories). I can never get that high. If I eat peanut butter I eat the whole jar.

You're eating only 913 calories deliberately? Sorry i'm confused by what it is you're asking, What is the actual question?
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods on a scale? Cause a lot of what you eat is very calorie dense, especially cheese. If you aren't weighing portions on a digital scale then you're probably eating more cals than you think.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Eat some fruit and veg. Bananas. Avocados. Winter squash.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I eat mostly cheeses and I struggle to eat more than 913 calories does not compute for me. Are you eating low fat cheese?

To eat more without overeating eat some higher cal foods (although the ones you mentioned don't necessarily sound low cal) that aren't trigger foods. If PB is a trigger, try peanuts or nuts. If you are only eating chicken, branch out to other meats. Increase portion size. Include something like olive oil in your dressing if it is super low cal (or if it's a purchased one find one with olive oil or the like). Stuff like that. Add foods to hit your calorie goal.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

Are you saying that you put your stats (height, weight, age, gender, activity level, etc.) into MyFitnessPal and it said "You need to eat 913 calories a day to lose weight"? Something is wrong there. As I said earlier, MFP will not give less than 1200 per day to women.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Are you saying that you put your stats (height, weight, age, gender, activity level, etc.) into MyFitnessPal and it said "You need to eat 913 calories a day to lose weight"? Something is wrong there. As I said earlier, MFP will not give less than 1200 per day to women.

It sounds like what she's saying is she's tracking her food intake daily and what she's eating is only adding up to 913 calories.
  • jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am in a similar boat. MFP=1400 and for the past couple of days I stay under in my carbs (trying. To hit ketosis) and eat more protein and fats. This however only gets me between 900-1000cals.I am soooo full. I am also vegan which has been tough to have lower carbs. You may ask why I am aiming for lower carbs? Bc I am having trouble losing any weight! I thought I would try this.

But I hear you in achieving balanaced macro goals but not the calories.

I also hear you in the jar of peanut butter! Nut butters and nuts are my nemesis. I cannot control myself.
  • booksandchocolate12
    Options

It sounds like what she's saying is she's tracking her food intake daily and what she's eating is only adding up to 913 calories.

Ohhhh! OK.

OP, are you sure you're calculating correctly? I'd be famished on 913 calories. How do you measure your food? Do you use a food scale?
  • JCSaphire
    Options
    Yeah I weigh my foods and eat yogurt that is actually 170 calories a cup and 25 grams of protien. Ate half a protien bar and didn't like it. Added a potato to my diet and I'm still short 220 calories.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Here is a list of calorie dense foods.
    Consider full fat yogurt. Consider the whole protein bar. Some people do better eating little snacks throughout the day:
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasse

• JCSaphire
    Options
    I ate exactly 88 grams of a basket robins ice cream which equaled 140 calories but it took care of the extra calories I needed. I'm glad I was able to control myself and eat just that because I usually can't.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    You could Sautee some veggies with spices and use olive oil, 20 mls of the oil I use adds up to 160 cals.
    Boil corn on the cob and add 15g of margarine and some salt for a snack.
    You could make a sandwich with a higher fat lunch meat like ham or salami.
    There's lots of ways to reach your calorie goal. Eating under 1200 consistently is not good and can lead to some very serious health problems. It also sets you up to regain whatever weight you lose because under 1200 is not sustainable long term.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You have to find a balance between eating too much and trying to eat too little. I suspect you are overthinking this, because even though it isn't necessarily easy in practice, at least it's easy in theory: Eat a little more of what you fancy. Weigh it out, don't eat the whole jar/pack/box/bag/whatever in one sitting. Then log it and hit your total calories every day.