Crossfit for beginners

Options
So even though there are a lot of memes on social media making fun of crossfit, I am actually quite interested in maybe starting.
Any advice for beginners who are starting out crossfit training? Or even where to start out? I'm starting to research more about it. And would love some feedback.

Replies

• julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the Crossfit affiliates in your area. Try to find one that offers a beginners course or on ramp course. Most affiliates have a "your first class is free" deal so you can try Crossfit and see if you like it before you spend your money.

You can find a list of affiliates on the Crossfit website.
    https://www.crossfit.com/affiliate-list
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I don't do crossfit but know some people who do and they look amazing and are super fit. I did look into it but it was expensive close to my house and I just stuck to bodybuilding.

I say give it a go - the classes look fun and from what I have been told you do it at YOUR level and it's a great activity to get strong fast :)

People make fun of things they don't understand.

And some crossfitters do have a tendency to bang on about their WODS and so on, but that's ok - it's nice to be so passionate about something you like!
  • cmuise19
    cmuise19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I already have a gym membership. Could I just train there? or is it highly recommended to train at a box?
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    cmuise19 wrote: »
    I already have a gym membership. Could I just train there? or is it highly recommended to train at a box?

I have done Crossfit at both a regular gym and at an affiliate. You can get started at a regular gym on your own, but you will probably anger some people at your gym. Most WODS require multiple pieces of equipment and or running and rowing. I have had my equipment disappear mid work out when I have gone on runs. One time, a guy got really mad at me for hogging the equipment. On your own, there is no real way to know if you are doing the movements correctly or know how to scale movements to your ability. At affiliates, you will not have to worry about whether or not you will have the equipment you need to complete your workout. You will have coaching and instruction. No one will get ticked off at you for hogging equipment.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    what was said above - box. I get people looking at me grumpy when I superset two pieces of equipment let alone if I were going to try to do a WOD. PLus - some of this stuff is hard to do you need to do it correctly or you can get hurt
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Crossfit since I moved, but I started as a beginner to any kind of fitness - I loved it. People were so encouraging and helpful, it has a community spirit too.

I did try it at a regular gym (globo-gym) but struggled to get the equipment together and ended up doing non-weighted ones like cindy. Also I love the Crossfit jokes and memes!

One tip - if you haven't done Crossfit before and you are going alone, consider scaling the workouts if you are doing them from the main site!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    advice:
    • learn proper form for olympic lifting before starting crossfit
    • don't let the hype of class push you beyond your limits
    • always question moves which your gut tells you is dangerous
    • don't fall for the hive mind and encourage others to push themselves beyond their limits

otherwise, crossfit may be fun for you.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Go to a few different boxes if you can and check them out. I would never under any circumstance suggest trying to do crossfit at your regular globo gym. Nobody wins.
    Get a feel for the coaches and how they teach and scale your workouts.
  • cmuise19
    cmuise19 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping to do it at my regular gym. I don't have the extra money to pay for another gym
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Damn, I was hoping to do it at my regular gym. I don't have the extra money to pay for another gym

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that one of the big draws of CF was the community/social aspect of it? I didn't even think it was something that could be done outside of a "box".
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

You absolutely should not try to do your own crossfit program at your gym.
    Olympic lifts (especially at a rapid pace and/or high reps, as Crossfit tends to promote) are extremely technical, and require someone to train you in proper form and technique.

You could look into some basic HIIT exercises - just Google and Pinterest should give you plenty of ideas. That would give you a Crossfit-like workout, but without the technical lift aspect.