Gaining weight(muscle?) while overweight and weight training

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a high BMI (29.1) and I've been trying to lose weight for about six months now. I have lost about 10 lbs so far, all in the first few months, and plateaued since then. I think I am losing inches (some clothes that didn't fit are starting to zip all the way up etc.)but at a very slow rate.

My BMI and weight hasn't changed much for the past couple of months, and I'm wondering if I should focus on burning the fat first before weight training. I have been trying to make healthy choices and maintaining a healthy deficit (500 on workout days) but I just don't see the results. The only thing I can do further is cut out my daily "cheat" meal of 150 calories worth of tea + tea snacks, but I plan for it and I'm afraid I won't sustain a diet where I cut it out.

What should I do?????? I'm starting to think about having a baby and don't want to go into it with a high BMI :(

Replies

• NanceePants11
    NanceePants11 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You should try some HITT exercises to burn fat. Some of these exercises include a mixture of burpees, jumping jacks, squats, etc done in a short amount of time with little recovery time. As for the diet plan, I think it's okay to eat what ever you like eating. Don't restrict yourself on a low calorie diet, you'll just be unhappy and your body wont preform at its best during the work out. If you do strength training, you'll be needing a lot of protein.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your calorie intake? And your calories burned? If you aren't losing, you're likely eating more than you think. Definitely don't give up lifting, as it's beneficial in retaining muscle as you lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're in a 500 calorie deficit on workout days? What about the others? How often do you work out?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have a high BMI (29.1) and I've been trying to lose weight for about six months now. I have lost about 10 lbs so far, all in the first few months, and plateaued since then. I think I am losing inches (some clothes that didn't fit are starting to zip all the way up etc.)but at a very slow rate.

My BMI and weight hasn't changed much for the past couple of months, and I'm wondering if I should focus on burning the fat first before weight training. I have been trying to make healthy choices and maintaining a healthy deficit (500 on workout days) but I just don't see the results. The only thing I can do further is cut out my daily "cheat" meal of 150 calories worth of tea + tea snacks, but I plan for it and I'm afraid I won't sustain a diet where I cut it out.

What should I do?????? I'm starting to think about having a baby and don't want to go into it with a high BMI :(

OK You lose weight via calorie defecit, the most effective way being by monitoring your food intake

Cardio certainly has a higher calorie burn than weight training meaning that you can eat more food...however exercise always makes one hungrier as the body demands the fuel it needs so personally I don't think there's a win there apart from cardio vascular of course

You should always do progressive resistance (weights are one form) in defecit to maintain as much muscle as possible

Being overweight means you have additional muscle to begin with

If you have not lost weight for 2 months or more it is simply because you are not in defecit..you are either eating more calories than you think or burning fewer calories than you imagine and probably a little of both

You need to refocus on your logging

Weigh everything (no cups / no spoons ...use a scale)
    Double check every MFP entry you use with other databases and eradicate the ones that are just wrong
    Cut down your estimated calorie burn from exercise by 25-50%

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ngarci11 wrote: »
    You should try some HITT exercises to burn fat. Some of these exercises include a mixture of burpees, jumping jacks, squats, etc done in a short amount of time with little recovery time. As for the diet plan, I think it's okay to eat what ever you like eating. Don't restrict yourself on a low calorie diet, you'll just be unhappy and your body wont preform at its best during the work out. If you do strength training, you'll be needing a lot of protein.

Bad advice
    HITT is not magical in any way
    Not restricting food intake, in whatever way you care to, leaves you destined to remain fat or put on more

Slightly true things

You do need to fuel your body appropriately to maximise your workouts

You need adequate protein in defecit ...but it's not a huge amount 0.65-0.8g per lb bodyweight as a minimum