Not enough calories daily? Bad if you do... bad if you don't!!!

So once again I start dieting and exercising and my calorie intake is really low. I know I know I know!!!! I have to eat more and I have to eat breakfast but I'm not hungry at all. I I'm trying to avoid carbs... Veggies don't have many calories... So frustrating!!!

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    No you do not need to eat breakfast. And is there a medical reason you're avoiding carbs? Otherwise that's just a fad.

If you're thinking you're eating too low, the first thing to do is weigh your food using a food scale to ensure you are eating as little as you think you are. People fall into the trap that they're not eating enough, when in reality, they aren't using a scale and their numbers are inaccurate.

If you are indeed eating too little, add oils to cooking or have a table spoon of peanut butter. Eating too little may not have immediate consequences, but long term can mean muscle loss, which is the contributing factor to the skinny fat look.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    If you are reducing carbs you need to increase your fat intake.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    How can someone who is "not hungry" need to lose weight?
  • FiMac987
    FiMac987 Posts: 18 Member
    Avoid processed 'edible product' carbs - I pinched that from elsewhere - I like it - they shouldn't be classed as foods!
    BUT, whole complex carbs like sweet (yam) & white potatoes are completely unprocessed and have lots of vitamins and minerals they waon't harm weight loss - unless smothered in full fat mayo, deep fried etc. etc.
    xx
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    How can someone who is "not hungry" need to lose weight?

I completely get this because I did this same thing year's ago. I figured that to be on a diet meant eliminating the foods I had heard were fattening like butter and cheese and oils and starchy foods. Only lean protein and vegetables three meals a day. It didn't last long. It make me weak and miserable and I came on these forums and learned better.
  • lisamerrison
    lisamerrison Posts: 90 Member
    I have always been obsessed with eating all my calorie allowance whether on this or when I was at Slimming World and also eating back my exercise calories. Recently I watched a TED Talk by Sandra Aamodt - called why dieting doesn't work - http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work. I decided to implement some of her suggestions, one of them being only eat when you are hungry and eat until you are satisfied, not full. Be mindful of what you are eating, use your senses to enjoy and take your time with your food.

Last week, on Monday I ate 975 calories because I was eating only when I was hungry (the weekend previously I had over indulged completely) on Tuesday I ate my full 1620 calorie allowance, Wednesday I had 146 calories left, Thursday 461 left, Friday I ate healthy, sensible foods all day but had a few gin and tonics and some "bad" food, Saturday I didn't track as we were out for the day but I took a picnic with all healthy foods and Sunday I had 280 calories left - I lost 4lb this week!

In summary, whilst I am tracking calories, and accurately using a scale when I do track I am not being overly worried if one or two days I don't hit my calorie allowance.