1200 calories

Options
I could use some low cal snack that I could eat especially during the mid-day hour. I feel very hungry trying to stick with 1200 calories??

Replies

• Katlover12
    Katlover12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi. I think I eat around 1,200 calories. I snack on apples, grapes, and sometimes peanuts.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I personally grab protein if I'm looking for something to tide me over when I'm hungry: think greek yogurt, string cheese, turkey slices..but you can always bulk up what you are eating too. I am not a big vegetable eater myself..but I really like caramelized onions and steamed baby carrots with everything...it's extremely low calorie for what you get and it's SO good it feels like I'm cheating...
  • pinkslipblues
    pinkslipblues Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Plain rice cakes have 35 calories - add a low calorie topping and they are quite filling.
  • wrharvill
    wrharvill Posts: 60 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Boiled eggs. 1 serving of canned tuna. Sometimes, too, it turns out I'm just thirsty when I think I'm hungry so staying hydrated will help. Good luck!
  • bemyyfriend0918
    bemyyfriend0918 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How about a pack of apple slices (30 calories) and a cracker barrel 2% reduced fat cheese stick (60 calories) - total snack is 90 calories, it has protein and fiber and should keep you full for a little bit. Or, instead of the cheese stick, have 2 ounces of deli ham/turkey. It'll have the same amount of calories but a little more protein :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Unless you are older or very petite 1200 may be too low for you. MFP assigns calorie goals based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week" AND this number is before exercise. So if you exercise plan on eating some of those calories back. Calorie burns are estimates so start by adding back 50-75%.

That said, things that are generally filling are protein, fat and fiber. A piece of string cheese and a some berries would cover all three. I like Greek yogurt with some Fiber One sprinkles. Veggies & hummus. Popcorn with a sprinkle of parmesan.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Maybe 1200 isn't an appropriate calorie goal for you? What are your stats - height, weight, goal weight, and what rate of loss did you select? Are you exercising? If so, are you logging and eating back a portion of your calories?

As far as filling, low calorie snacks - if you are going to stick with 1200 cals then you need to make sure they are nutrient dense too. Cut veggies, string cheese, a hard boiled egg, some sliced turkey. Air popped popcorn for volume...

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    1200 is the calorie floor for women. I would suggest that you find a higher daily calorie goal that you can follow without stress while still creating a deficit. You won't lose as quickly but you won't be miserable.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? I find1200 ridiculously too restrictive even at 5'.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This may sound gross and weird but some days I chug down orange metamucil in a tall glass of water in place of a snack. It's filling and helps with other...issues.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories is just not enough food for me. Think about taking it slower and having a more satisfying amount of food/calories each day.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am eating a lot more than 1200 calories per day, but here are some good low calorie snacks:

Small fruits like kiwis, plums (in season in the US right now), clementines (not in season right now).

For bulk, 100 calorie packs of microwave popcorn. I am in the middle of trying all the different brands to choose a favorite. You really do feel like you are eating a lot, which is nice.

If it is just the act of eating, and now how filling something is, seaweed snacks are really low calorie. I like the ones from Ocean's Halo because the added flavorings almost completely overpower the seaweed taste, which is not true for some other brands.

There are a couple brands of string cheese at most supermarkets that are in the 50-60 calorie range.

I tend to avoid raw veggies because I don't seem to digest them well, but that is also an option. You can dip them in low calorie salad dressing or mix some herbs with sour cream/lowfat or nonfat yogurt to make a dip.
  • krishnip
    krishnip Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Plain rice cakes have 35 calories - add a low calorie topping and they are quite filling.

Great idea - never gave rice cakes a thought - any ideas for toppings?
  • krishnip
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Unless you are older or very petite 1200 may be too low for you. MFP assigns calorie goals based on "I want to lose xx pounds per week" AND this number is before exercise. So if you exercise plan on eating some of those calories back. Calorie burns are estimates so start by adding back 50-75%.

That said, things that are generally filling are protein, fat and fiber. A piece of string cheese and a some berries would cover all three. I like Greek yogurt with some Fiber One sprinkles. Veggies & hummus. Popcorn with a sprinkle of parmesan.

1200 is what I was assigned I am only 5 feet tall and weight 128 pounds. I have gained so much weight since last I feel rather disgusted with myself :(
  • krishnip
    Options
    I am eating a lot more than 1200 calories per day, but here are some good low calorie snacks:

Small fruits like kiwis, plums (in season in the US right now), clementines (not in season right now).

For bulk, 100 calorie packs of microwave popcorn. I am in the middle of trying all the different brands to choose a favorite. You really do feel like you are eating a lot, which is nice.

If it is just the act of eating, and now how filling something is, seaweed snacks are really low calorie. I like the ones from Ocean's Halo because the added flavorings almost completely overpower the seaweed taste, which is not true for some other brands.

There are a couple brands of string cheese at most supermarkets that are in the 50-60 calorie range.

I tend to avoid raw veggies because I don't seem to digest them well, but that is also an option. You can dip them in low calorie salad dressing or mix some herbs with sour cream/lowfat or nonfat yogurt to make a dip.

Good idea about popcorn!
  • krishnip
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    1,200 calories is just not enough food for me. Think about taking it slower and having a more satisfying amount of food/calories each day.

My fitness pal has me at 1200 calories, you're right its not enough food
  • krishnip
    Options
    What are your goals? I find1200 ridiculously too restrictive even at 5'.

Get rid of fat - HATE the way I look right now - feeling rather depressed actually
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    krishnip wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »

1200 is what I was assigned I am only 5 feet tall and weight 128 pounds. I have gained so much weight since last I feel rather disgusted with myself :(

At 5' tall your daily goal wouldn't be very big - even if you chose 1/2 pound a week. But, exercise will add more calories if you can do that. You might have to play around with protein, fat and fiber. Some people stay full on fat free protein (not me) - some people stay full on fat free fiber (again not me). Play around with macros & meal timing.

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I often find that to low. I go between 1200-1500
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    krishnip wrote: »

Great idea - never gave rice cakes a thought - any ideas for toppings?

I like a plain rice cake with one tablespoon of unsalted smooth Almond Butter as a snack or with coffee at breakfast. Crunchy and tasty, 135 calories.