Losing weight after long run?

kaitbannonrun
kaitbannonrun Posts: 19 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
So I usually go on long runs 2x times a week for 12-13 miles and afterwards I weigh myself because I started noticing that I lose about 3-5 lbs every time I come back from one. Is this normal or is just water weight that I sweated out during my run? Or possibly glycogen loss? And has anyone experienced this?

I'm thinking it's most likely water loss but for some reason I'm not very thirsty after my runs so would a protein shake hydrate me just as well? Because that's what I usually have after my long runs

Replies

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    This is water that you lost in sweat when you ran - perfectly normal.
    You should aim to drink at least that much to replenish. For reference - a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs, so drink about a half gallon of water to rehydrate.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    It's amazing how much sweat weighs, isn't it?
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    I experience this whenever I go running. From what I understand, it is water weight lost through sweating. A good rule is to drink 8 ounces of water for every pound you lost after a run. So if you've lost 5 pounds after your run, you should drink 40 ounces of water. This helps to rehydrate your body, to prevent muscle soreness and cramping. I hope that helps :smile:
  • kaitbannonrun
    shandy4487 wrote: »
    I experience this whenever I go running. From what I understand, it is water weight lost through sweating. A good rule is to drink 8 ounces of water for every pound you lost after a run. So if you've lost 5 pounds after your run, you should drink 40 ounces of water. This helps to rehydrate your body, to prevent muscle soreness and cramping. I hope that helps :smile:

Would it be okay to have a protein shake instead? I don't get thirsty much after my long runs and don't want to force myself to drink either.
  • kaitbannonrun
    You should aim to drink at least that much to replenish. For reference - a gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs, so drink about a half gallon of water to rehydrate.

Would it be okay to hydrate with a protein shake instead? I'm not very thirsty after and that's what I usually have after my long runs
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member

Would it be okay to hydrate with a protein shake instead? I'm not very thirsty after and that's what I usually have after my long runs

As long as it fits into your calorie/macro goals, I don't see why not.
  • kaitbannonrun

As long as it fits into your calorie/macro goals, I don't see why not.

It does but I was just wondering if it would be optimal for rehydration
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Honestly, you should really drink at least a glass or two of water right after your run and more throughout the day. It's very hot and usually dry where I live. A 4 mile run this time of year usually results in a 32 ounce water loss (2 pounds) in addition to the water I drink during the run. I always weigh myself before and after the run to determine how much water I need to replace afterward and almost always down a 16 ounce glass of water after my runs.

Your body needs to be fully hydrated to function properly and dehydration is a cumulative process. You can become dehydrated with even a moderate exercise routine if you do not drink enough fluid to replace what you lose on a daily basis and the distances you are running are beyond moderate. Exercising while dehydrated can produce significant consequences the very least of these being reduced performance because there's less blood in your body to move oxygen around.

You are sweating and exhaling 48 - 80 ounces of water (16 ounces of water weighs one pound) and you need to replenish that water. Look at it this way, any good pre-race advice for full and half marathons will tell you that you need to be adequately hydrated before the race and that you need to start that hydration process at least a few days in advance; drinking the morning of the race is too late. You are running half marathon distance twice per week. Don't you think that you should be concerned about staying hydrated between those runs?

Yes, the protein shake has some water in it and there's no reason not to drink it but you should make sure you are also getting enough water throughout the day to replace what you lost before your next run.
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    I think a protein shake is fine, as long as it is water based. I know there are dairy based ones, but I'm not sure if those would be good for rehydration. Do you make your own shakes? There are some good protein powders that also have electrolytes, which are good to have after strenuous exercise. I am usually not too thirsty after running either, and it does feel like a chore to drink all that water, lol. I usually add some lemon or berries to my water and that makes me more likely to drink it :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Rehydrating after a run doesn't just happen immediately after a run.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Is your protein shake a half gallon? It will help with rehydration, but I don't think it would be enough by itself to replenish all the water your body lost.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Defo water weight. Like others said stay rehydrated.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Do you drink during your long runs? Some people are fine running that distance without drinking during the run but for runs of an hour or more I take a 750ml bottle (water with a electrolyte tablet) and will usually drink it all.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Yep happens every time during long runs. It's water weight and you must make sure you hydrate well. :smile: