Restaurants

Options
how accurate is the restaurant info on mfp and is the total calories for the amount the restaurant serves you any help would be appreciated

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    It really never hurts to check the restaurant's website to verify, though a good number of entries are reasonably accurate. They're more likely to have updated their website's information in case a recipe or product vendor was changed.

Also, you might be seeing a personalized entry. A burrito from Qdoba might have been entered to a person's specification (extra beans, double cheese, no rice, etc.) and not really noted on the entry.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If the resturaunt displays calories on the menu or online I just go with that, if not it can vary massively which I found out today after I had a club steak sandwich at a small resturaunt that had no nutritional data. Calories on.here ranged from 300 to 800 so I went for one on the upper calorie range to be on the safe side.
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If I'm unable to find the nutritional information on the restaurants website, which is rather common where I live, I use the first 5 or 6 entries on mfp to get an idea of the calories and always estimate higher
  • hamstercaster
    hamstercaster Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are eating out every so often, why even sweat it? Just enjoy your meal and eat what you feel like eating and even have dessert and wine! One meal at a restaurant won't make or break your progress. If you are eating out often however, stick with the "safe" dishes like chicken breasts, fish, salads with dressing on the side, baked potatoes etc. This will also be easier to track and you can usually estimate the portions better as well ie. if your chicken breast is the size of your hand, it's roughly 4 oz etc.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Check out the site www.dwlz.com
    This site has nutrition info on tons of restaurants as well as WW points and is updated regularly.