Workout post LASIK?

Options
So I'm going to get my Lasik done at the end of this month. I used to have infections in my eye due to my contacts and as I despise wearing glasses, I decided to take up lasik surgery here in Washington after a friend who had it done had recommended it to me. I was told by the doctor to not take up any strenuous activities for at-least 2 weeks post op and to progressively get back to my old routine. If anyone has any suggestions for low intensity work out regimes, I'd be glad to hear it out. Also, does anyone have any LASIK experience? What should I expect after the surgery?

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I had lasik surgery some years ago (note my profile pic is an old one and I currently don't need any glasses!). Exercise wise walking or cycling but no strenuous cycling. You don't want sweat to get into your eyes.

After surgery, you will need to make sure no sweat or water gets in your eyes (for at least a week if I remember correctly could be longer). You will need to wear the night/sleep pads or covers for at least a week to stop you scratching your eyes in your sleep. I had two lots of eye drop - one antibiotic and the other to help relieve dryness, these were for one to two weeks.

Lights may have a halo for a little while, this lasted for about a month or two for me.

Best thing I ever did, wish I had it done years ago.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had it done last November, best decision I've ever made! Your eyes will probably be sore and gritty and either dry or watery for a few days, they will start to feel better pretty quickly but that doesn't mean they're healed. For two weeks post procedure I didn't do anything more strenuous than walking, and then started going jogging gently. I didn't do any intense exercise for about a month because my eyes just felt so delicate and I just didn't feel like it was worth the risk.
    If you have regular check ups with your eye doctor though they will be able to advise on how well you're healing.
    One other thing nobody warned me about: if you exercise outside be careful on windy days, as you REALLY dont want hair or dust blowing in to your eyes.
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had lasik years ago and I am still very happy, I was also getting infections from my contacts, from what I was told it happens after long term use of contacts. I did have dry eye issues I think my eyes were not that healthy to begin with bc of all the infections, I recommend genteal drops, they make thicker drops depending on what you need, at night I would use the ointment kind (that's how bad my dry eyes were), I even had my tear ducts permanently plugged. Long and short with all my issues I am still very happy I had it done!!!! I also took it easy after my surgery as well and to this day I still wear sunglasses most of the time outside bc my eyes are still sensitive to sun light. Another piece of advise I'd give you is go home and sleep or at least keep your eyes closed, it really helps in the recovery, its the strangest thing afterwards bc you can see....its fuzzy but you can see, before hand I couldn't see the big E on the eye chart and afterwards I could see the clock and tell time!!!! Good Luck