Day hikers - tips for keeping energy up?

Options
So I'm at the point where I can hike for about 6 hours and feel great the next day (no lingering soreness or fatigue to speak of). I'd like to push myself to add some more hours to the hikes, but between hour 5 and 6 I tend to get really fatigued, so it's hard to keep going. Adding some more rest time helps some ( I usually go 3 hours, sit for 10 min, do the other 3 hours - of course I have small times I stand and eat or drink or catch my breath).

In terms of food, I'm still on a regular deficit as I push to lose the last 30 lb or so that I'd like. I eat 150-200 calories per hour during the hike, usually oatmeal or granola bars (about 2/3 carbs, 1/3 fats). So far I've been eating more after the hike to recover - I'm wondering if I should also/instead eat more the day before to carb load a bit so I come in with more glycogen.

Any thoughts and strategies that have worked for you?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Following this. I have the same issue.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Eat more before the hike, especially more carbs. Try to eat while you hike too if you can.

Do longer hikes. Your body is going to adapt to what you put it through but limits will never go away, you just push them out. If you're doing 6 hour hikes and find your limit to be about 6 hours, occasionally push that out to 8.

How are your shoes? (I hope you're wearing shoes not boots, unless you're dealing with a lot of snow.) How much weight do you have in your pack?

Are you keeping a really fast pace and pushing your heart, or taking it slower and being more moderate about it?

Do you do any other cardio, like riding a bike?

Can you describe the fatigue that comes in at 6 hours? It's not that you're getting sore, it's more like you're just running out of gas?
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I do tend to wear boots, though not as big or heavy as some (Keen Targhee 2 Mid). The route I go has a lot of talus climbing and I like having the boots there, plus my ultimate plan is Kilimanjaro so being used to boots is a good thing. They're fairly comfy - it's my legs and not feet that limit how much I could do.

I keep my pack around 20ish lb including food & water, again to train my body (and for emergency situations, though the trails I go are well traveled).

I tend to go what I consider fairly slow, I'm trying to push myself for endurance and not speed. 20-ish minute miles on flat parts, but 30-40 minute miles on the ascents up the bluffs I like to hike.

The fatigue is probably a mix of both, but more the running out of gas type. I do some exercise biking 2-3 times per week, usually a 21-minute HIIT session (30/20/10 slow/moderate/maximum, 3 sets of 5). Hiking and walking are the cardio that I enjoy.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I wear shoes unless the terrain is seriously rough and I'm carrying a heavy pack (rare), and I adore chocolate covered almonds when hiking. Do not go low carb if this is your preferred method of exercise, and watch the balance between eercise calories and maintaining a real deficit. You definitely don't want to cut too low, and the errors in the estimates get inflated with high calorie burns.

ETA: do you strength train and maintain adequate protein intake? After lifting for several years I can say that those climbs have become much easier.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I always eat a big breakfast before a hike...one that's high in carbs/protein/salt. Something like a bagel sandwich with eggs, cheese, and ham. This holds me for a while, so I don't usually snack much during a hike. But, if it's a lot of climbing and pretty strenuous, I take 5-minute breaks every hour. Just 5 minutes off my feet really helps to re-energize me when I feel like I'm slowing down.

I bring lunch with me....again with the carbs/protein/salt. A salami and cheese sandwich is my go-to. I also bring some hard candy...Jolly Ranchers or lemon drops. They help when I need a little sugar buzz.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I do tend to wear boots, though not as big or heavy as some (Keen Targhee 2 Mid). The route I go has a lot of talus climbing and I like having the boots there, plus my ultimate plan is Kilimanjaro so being used to boots is a good thing. They're fairly comfy - it's my legs and not feet that limit how much I could do.

"A pound on your feet is like ten on your back."

That's pretty common wisdom, but the number changes each time it gets said. So it's really a rule of thumb not a scientific fact. But it's based in truth. If you're lifting your feet 12,000 times (eg 6 miles) in a row before you start to get fatigued, strapping them with heavier weights is going to reduce that and lighter weight is going to be easier which will let you go further.

Personally, I don't mind talus fields in super duper light shoes (I have a pair of Cushes, they're like slippers) but I won't do it in the dark by head lamp because I'm afraid to break my ankle. The only time I wear boots is for lots of snow when I need traction and to stay dry. Obviously what works for me doesn't matter so much for you, I mean I like salt and vinegar chips too and so what?, but maybe you can try a day hike w/o talus in a pair of shoes and see how much difference there is overall? I think there's a glacier on Kilimanjaro so you'll need boots there, maybe mountaineering boots even?

My hunch is that it isn't to do with glycogen since you're taking a reasonable pace, not trying to set a new speed record. I'd personally go with longer hikes occasionally to slowly push your mileage limit. :smile:
  • badder2
    badder2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trail shoes/boots should be decided by the terrain and the types of trails you are doing, not the distance. Light shoes are okay on graded dry trails but if the trails involve a lot of rock/root climbing, mud and puddles then light boots are a must.

I use light trail running shoes for most of my hikes, but switch to light weight hikers for forest hikes with a lot of climbing/descending, rough terrain and the much higher possibility of twisted ankles.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    badder2 wrote: »
    Trail shoes/boots should be decided by the terrain and the types of trails you are doing, not the distance. Light shoes are okay on graded dry trails but if the trails involve a lot of rock/root climbing, mud and puddles then light boots are a must.

I use light trail running shoes for most of my hikes, but switch to light weight hikers for forest hikes with a lot of climbing/descending, rough terrain and the much higher possibility of twisted ankles.

How much weight you are carrying in your pack can also be a factor in your footwear choice. Day hiking is usually not an issue, but when I backpack with a 40-pound pack, I really need sturdy boots.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    At some point you'll just have to hike longer/further to build up the capacity to hike further/longer. Fuel is one thing, ability is another.
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I always eat a big breakfast before a hike...one that's high in carbs/protein/salt. Something like a bagel sandwich with eggs, cheese, and ham. This holds me for a while, so I don't usually snack much during a hike. But, if it's a lot of climbing and pretty strenuous, I take 5-minute breaks every hour. Just 5 minutes off my feet really helps to re-energize me when I feel like I'm slowing down.

I bring lunch with me....again with the carbs/protein/salt. A salami and cheese sandwich is my go-to. I also bring some hard candy...Jolly Ranchers or lemon drops. They help when I need a little sugar buzz.

I am with you on this. Don't eat a lot during but have a good/salty breakfast. My hikes are not normally more than 20 kms though. Shoes all the way - Meindl's which I love. On a related not, my 6km daily walking commute to work is about to change into an 8 km cycle which I am looking forward to - er, sort of. Used to be a cyclist but for the last 10 years or so have been a walking fan. Have to see how it goes.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My guess you would want to pack the same kind of energy used by marathoners. There are fancy glucose supplements you can get from a running store, gummy bears, or hiker's mix. Maximum replenishment for minimum weight.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My guess you would want to pack the same kind of energy used by marathoners. There are fancy glucose supplements you can get from a running store, gummy bears, or hiker's mix. Maximum replenishment for minimum weight.

Personally I wouldn't use these except when I'm running (the only reason runners use them is that's kind of hard to carry & chew a PB&J sandwich while running).

OP, it sounds like a fuel problem, you're already eating at a deficit and if you're only eating 150/200 cal per hour you're increasing that deficit. There's a reason that distance runners don't expect to lose weight during the latter stages of a training plan, long workouts take fuel. I'd suggest continue eating at a deficit except for the day before and the the day of a hike where you want to be a lot closer to whatever your maintenance calories are (I don't skimp on the food the day before a long run). The other thing may be sleep? Are you getting a really good night's sleep the day before your hike?

• sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tangerines are great little energy boosters if you're not worried about pack weight. Replace your granola bars with a trail mix with almonds, cacao nibs and goji berries, and I'm a big fan of chia-date clusters that you can find in the bulk section of natural food stores and some grocery stores.

I hike with water on my back and green tea in a 20 oz water bottle I keep within reach on the side of my pack (tea from tea bags, not bottled tea!). I like green tea because it tastes just as good cool as hot and gives you a boost without any jitters.

Hiking poles can do some of the balancing and propulsion work, which can reduce fatigue. Try a 10 minute break every two hours instead of just halfway, don't wait until you're tired to rest. Make sure your pack is weighted properly, with the heaviest things (your water) closest to your back and hips. You can check out different hiking techniques too, like using the rest step on inclines.

I think you should add more cardio and strength training to get more mileage out of yourself. HIIT training is really meant to increase your speed not your endurance, so try mixing in some longer workouts with variety. If you hate running, try adding a mile run once a week and building from there (at the fastest pace you can while still able to hold a conversation). Don't start with a HIIT running program unless you are already running a few times a week.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely try boosting my calorie intake before hiking - I realized in retrospect I didn't even eat breakfast before my last hike (I usually don't care to have it, but on hike days I really should).

Will try to up my calories to maintenance the day before & eat a good breakfast and see if I can't get up to 8 hours next time.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hey fellow Wisconsinite! Some great advice here, but I'll add my $1.05.

Kilimanjaro is a good goal and a great hike. I would start incorporating as much elevation training as possible, so smaller trips out to the AT or someplace local to condition you to constant uphill. Great idea to train with your gear and sounds like you've got that covered. I go with higher boots for more rock protection, but that's a personal preference. Check out different lacing styles as well as this can mean a lot in the beginning. When I take new hikers out I often stop and re-lace every hour or so to change the pressure on the feet.

Time your intake and eat to perform - for longer hikes I start out with a solid breakfast - oatmeal and eggs are my personal favorites. I tend to go with easily digestible carbs every hour or so with a bar and some GORP. Eat/drink just enough to stay ahead of hunger and thirst, but never too much.
  • rankinsect
    Options
    Yeah, I've mainly been doing Devil's Lake state park for elevation practice, although it's not constant uphill, it's alternating 600 feet of gain / loss, so while I can do 2400 feet of gain, it's not the same as 2400 at once.

When my brother is settled into his new house I will abuse my guest privileges and do some hiking of the bluffs near La Crosse. Sadly vacation days are at a premium this year so not sure I'll get to go out east or west to real mountains, unless I can find a business trip to tack a day or so onto.
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hey fellow Wisconsinite! Some great advice here, but I'll add my $1.05.

Kilimanjaro is a good goal and a great hike. I would start incorporating as much elevation training as possible, so smaller trips out to the AT or someplace local to condition you to constant uphill. Great idea to train with your gear and sounds like you've got that covered. I go with higher boots for more rock protection, but that's a personal preference. Check out different lacing styles as well as this can mean a lot in the beginning. When I take new hikers out I often stop and re-lace every hour or so to change the pressure on the feet.

Time your intake and eat to perform - for longer hikes I start out with a solid breakfast - oatmeal and eggs are my personal favorites. I tend to go with easily digestible carbs every hour or so with a bar and some GORP. Eat/drink just enough to stay ahead of hunger and thirst, but never too much.

Couldn't resist, sorry! :smiley:
    eppwxn8cfz3j.jpg
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Are you using trekking poles? They were a game-changer for me in terms of fatigue on long hikes. Maybe try some cheap ones and see if they help. I particularly like them on steeper rocky trails.

I take longer breaks than you do. I don't like munching on the trail. If I'm going to be out all day, I sit down and have a real lunch break -- probably 30 min or more. I eat my big sandwich lunch, completely refuel, and drink a lot of water. That means my pack is lighter and I'm rested for the second half of my hike.

Hope you find what works for you! Hiking is what I love the most!

• upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, are you for sure getting enough water. I know I am a very heavy sweater and when I was doing longer hikes I brought in a good bit of water and still was ending up dehydrated at times. Fatigue is a definite symptom of dehydration.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    Just a thought, are you for sure getting enough water. I know I am a very heavy sweater and when I was doing longer hikes I brought in a good bit of water and still was ending up dehydrated at times. Fatigue is a definite symptom of dehydration.

I was thinking this as well. I sweat, a lot, when I hike. Between my dog & I, I get to pack quite a bit of water. We (dog too) also munch my home dehydrated pineapple and elk jerky to keep my energy up, sometimes a little trail mix depending on length and duration of hike. I hear you about the fatigue, but I'm old so I kind of expect that. So far this summer I haven't surpassed the 6 hour mark, so not sure how I'd hold up.