Losing weight after ankle surgery - help!

Hi everyone!! I just had some major ankle surgery and am super worried about how much this can set me back and gain weight. I plan on eating as clean and low cal as possible to makeup for the lack of regular activity. I am non-weight bearing at least for the next month but expect to be in casts / boots for up to 3 months!

Does anyone have any exercises or tips that can help me include some sort of cardio / fitness into my life? I have tons of workout and gym equipment at my disposal in my home gym. Anything helps, even if I can just work on getting some killer arms or something, just looking to stay motivated!

Appreciate the suggestions!!

Replies

• TravisGM92
    TravisGM92 Posts: 143 Member
    Good for you :) hope the recovery goes well.

As for the exercises; do you have a resistance band at home? What you can do for shoulders is sit on the band (or wrap it under the chair/wheelchair you're on until there is enough resistance) and either do shoulder raises or shoulder press. I loved that workout when I couldn't hit the gym.
  • ela989
    ela989 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks so much!! I will give it a try :)@TravisGM92
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    edited August 2016
    Good luck! I had a peroneal tendon repair. Was total non weight bearing for 7 weeks and in the boot for 3 more! I couldn't work at all because I am a nurse. I gained 10 lbs but I took that off pretty quickly when I got to start walking again. What I did at home was various leg raises, an work and upper body stuff with free weights. I spaced them out throughout the day so I had something to look forward to!
  • smildej
    smildej Posts: 2 Member
    First of all, take care of yourself and get the rest and recovery that your body needs. I had two ankle surgeries, same ankle, two years apart. First surgery was for the perineal tendon and I couldn't bear weight for 5-6 weeks and had the boot for 4 weeks, plus physical therapy (at total of 3 months recovery). I did weights, went up and down our stairs on my behind using my arms to support me several times to keep moving, I could do sit ups as well and various other non weight bearing exercises. Once physical therapy started, I was allowed to do the stationary bike (that was while I was still in the boot). Just remember not to overdo it either, as your ankle will swell and be very uncomfortable - especially when it's in the cast. Taking time to heal is most important, otherwise you could set yourself back. You'll find yourself expending so much energy just trying to get around, showered, etc. Everything is extra work! Best of luck to you!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Consider eating at maintenance or above while you are recovering.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    crutch walking is often aerobic and a great workout.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    In order to heal you should set your calorie intake to maintenance as sedentary and eat that...it is important to fuel your body during the recovery process

Google chair bound exercises
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    I have had three ankle surgeries on the same ankle. I found getting around on the crutches was plenty of exercise. Once you are in a walking cast or boot and start PT, you'll get plenty of exercise from walking funky and PT. Still, you want to be careful and keep that ankle elevated. Maybe try upper body with weights and leg lifts without weights.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    I'm currently suffering with a broken arm (can't be cast so just in a brace so very little mobility) and the only advice I can give is don't get sad about your lack of ability to do anything then eat your feelings! It's a very easy trap to fall into, I did for 3 weeks and now I've got to rectify my gain!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    as @RodaRose and @Sued0nim point out, you should eat sufficient to allow your body to repair as quickly as possible. Maintenance with plenty of protein would seem sensible.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    I broke my ankle badly last year, needing plates and screws to put it all back together, and I found it pretty hard to do much.

While in the cast, I did some leg lifts and used some chair-bound exercise routines from youtube.

Once the cast was off, my physio had me on the stationary bike for 10 mins every hour, plus a range of stretches and exercises.
    Once the cast was off, I quite liked swimming - although it wasn't anything like "normal" swimming, my kick was basically non-existent! And I had to go to a pool with a ramp to get in and out as I couldn't manage the ladders.

I was quite shocked at how it affected other basic functions - like balance! For a while there I thought I'd never be able to get dressed without sitting on the bed again!

Good luck! It's not great, but in the scheme of things it's just a little bump in the road.

• mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    I have had 11 ankle surgeries, the last one was a fusion last oct. I started out after about 6 weeks on the stationary bike wearing my boot. Nothing too strenuous. I have now built up to where i can ride for like 90 minutes on high resistance. I find that doing anything such as the elliptical too much motion on my joint. The bike works best for me. Oh, and plus mat pilates, where it is mostly ab work and your core.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited August 2016
    You know what's awsome? People having difficulties and finding ways to work through those difficulties. Hats off to @jo_nz and @mommamia03