It's so hard to have will power when the people living with you are eating junk foods

Options
How do you get will power when everyone is eating junk food? I'm trying so hard to resist the temptation.

Replies

• abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Takes some very strong will power to resist temptation! Just keep your eyes on the prize (your goal). It will get easier over time. Try to eat foods/meals that you enjoy!
  • pearso21123
    pearso21123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm the main grocery shopper in my house so I just quit buying all that junk. When I do buy junk for the rest of the family, I make sure to buy stuff that I don't like, so I'm not tempted. Occasionally, when I want a treat, I'll buy what I like but with just enough servings so everyone gets 1, so there's no leftovers to tempt me.
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel for you. I have a horrible sweet tooth. I just make everyone else not eat it either and don't buy any. lol. Not sure what your situation is though.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Try to eat foods that keep you full like full fat, fiber, protein and drink plenty of water. Staying full should help a little.

Also I have a few 100/150 calorie "junk food" snacks I work into my calorie goal like skinny cow ice cream sandwiches or the snack pack pudding.

This time I'm also trying to change my thought process...I could eat it if I want to but do I really want to, how much walking do I need to do to walk that off?
  • anniebelle26
    anniebelle26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I find its all the way you look at it. When Im tempted by food Im trying to stay away from,I just say to myself....I can have that if I want it, but I just choose not to right now. Then I walk away and try to keep busy till the urge passes.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just work all the foods I love into my calorie goal, and in moderation. If I restrict myself, it's going to backfire in a major way.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I like high volume crunchy snacks. A mixture I make for myself is about two cups air popped popcorn with about a quarter cup spicy roasted chickpeas. Sometimes I add a tablespoon of peanuts.

I am still snacking but at a fraction of the calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    It's not the junk food that's the problem. It's the over consumption of it. You CAN work in things likes chips and candy, but you have to make the decision on the limit and stick to your calorie intake. And yes nutrients do matter, so take into consideration how many calories you need to fulfill them and factor in how much junk food is allowable without disrupting that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    When you say all the people around you are you talking at work, home, both?

Is there a way you can disappear when they are eating their junk food most of the time and just plan some indulgences?
  • enonymous01
    enonymous01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    It is harder. Seriously. Try to think of the positives of eating good for you food. YES that pizza smells amazing, but it's the poison for the body! That refreshing fruit salad you prepped is fruit of the gods, and that chicken salad feels sooooo much better in the tummy than that greasy burger would.

Pre-plan, meal prep, portion control, forgive yourself for falling off the wagon and get back on it. You deserve better than that junk food.
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    How do you get will power when everyone is eating junk food? I'm trying so hard to resist the temptation.
    Early in my journey I had to ban all junk foods.
    "You should moderate" some would say.
    AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - yea, right...
    I couldn't just eat a few cookies with a scoop of ice cream. No, I want ALL THE COOKIES AND ALL THE ICE CREAM!
    >:)
    Somewhere in my journey I lost my taste for such foods. I think my mind transformed when I learned what junk foods do to the body when a person binges.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I just work all the foods I love into my calorie goal, and in moderation. If I restrict myself, it's going to backfire in a major way.

This. I don't have much temptation. *shrug*
  • gettingmarried817
    gettingmarried817 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make sure i have optuons on hand that i can live with, like sugar free ice cream or fiber one bars. For me, my mindset is that I'm changing the way i eat overall, not dieting. Dieting gets started and stopped, the changes I'm making are for life. Because that's how i look at it, I know I can eat anything that fits in my calorie goal. I just have to debate if whatever it is is worth having cuz that means I have to record it. Many times that thinking has allowed me to walk past Orange Julius (which is a weakness for me) or Cinnabon because as good as they sound, I'd rather record the Fiber One brownie. And I never feel restricted, which is important to because feeling restricted used to always lead me to cheating and guilt.
  • Mari0810
    Mari0810 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You are so right, it is so difficult. I know when I started it was a struggle but my why at times was stronger. With time junk wasn't an option but I also realize that I had not develop a healthy relationship with food. I've gotten so much better. Sometimes outside support is what kept me focus, feel free to add me as a friend. Best of luck!