Pre-Diabetes Anyone?

Options
I want to share something with you. Three and a half months ago my doctor did an A1C on me which for those of you who do not know, it is a level to find out if you are a diabetic or how your diabetic level is doing. Well mine was 6.4 which is diabetic level and the doctor was going to start me on medicine for diabetes. I begged him not to. He said "Ok, here is what you are GOING to do. Eat 1200 calories a day, absolutely no sugar, don't eat many carbs and exercise EVERYDAY." Also he asked me to check my sugar every day and to call in my morning and evening readings to him every week. Ok, He definitely got my attention and I did exactly what he said. Tuesday I had another A1C drawn and I got my results today. 5.3-which is in the NORMAL RANGE!!! I was just praying for it to be in the lower part of pre-diabetic. So please be encouraged that whatever your struggle is with weight, keep on going. Now to get this other 60 lbs off. Whoo Hoo!

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    What a great post. I recently started looking at my sugar settings on mfp. It was automatically on 45.. and in researching I see that the CDC suggest 22 or 25 percent to adult females. I'm really trying to keep it low. I'm curious how low the doc says you should keep yours.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Yup, I have family members who have reversed Type 2 by losing weight and quitting sugar. Granted, they probably will have to stay off sugar the rest of their lives to keep it that way because they didn't deal with it before it reached that level but they did it and are doing great. I was getting close early last year, and quit sugar for quite some time. Now I have lost all the weight and eat sugar in some things like deserts, but otherwise I simply use Stevia and don't have any issues. If there is a sugar free or no sugar added alternative I go for it instead. The nice thing is they tend to have less calories as well.
  • sandrafondren
    sandrafondren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I may allow myself a small piece of cake or candy on special occasions but I'm done eating deserts, and that's ok. I'd rather have my health and a nice body. (I've got 70 lbs. to go to get to that goal though.) :wink: elisa123gal, what is this setting you are speaking of? What does the "CDC suggest 22 or 25 % to adult females." I don't understand and wish to learn more. Thanks.
  • sandrafondren
    Options
    You are exactly right meritage4. Congratulations on your 45 lbs. I keep my carbs down to around 65g a day. I think under 50 and you will go into ketosis.
  • sherryrichie
    sherryrichie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200 calories a day, absolutely no sugar, don't eat many carbs and exercise EVERYDAY." Also he asked me to check my sugar every day and to call in my morning and evening readings to him every week.

I wish my doctor had told me this when I was first diagnosed. Great job on your A1C results. Keep it up!!
  • bpp23
    bpp23 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    6.1 for me was my reading. Sugar and carbs are definitely my weakness. Though gave up coke picked up sweet tea which isn't doing me any good
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the sweet tea.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You cannot diagnosis diabetes mellitus Type II off of a single A1C laboratory value. There are multiple reasons why a single A1C value might be elevated (or lowered), and that's beyond laboratory error. Doctors really need to stop doing this. It's looking for/relying on a diagnostic shortcut that does not actually exist.

If I'd listened to my GP, I would've been prescribed and taking diabetic drugs, without so much as a fasting glucose value obtained first to verify the A1C, that I did not need. Why? Because my A1C at 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, and now 3 years out from a single lab value of 7.1 the first time my A1C was ever run (when I was only a moderately overweight 170 lbs) has been 5.2 every time. Perfectly normal. Even last month at 208 lbs.

I didn't change anything about my diet or exercise patterns after the false diagnosis (except eventually getting fatter) because during that first three months, I obtained tens of dozens of randomized glucose meter readings and the only time I ever edged into diabetic-like blood glucose values was within two hours have having purposely spiked my BG by downing a huge restaurant dinner, two full sized desserts, and three mixed cocktails in one sitting.

And it took three years and a new GP to get the diagnosis of a disease I did not have finally stricken from my medical record's MPL. Frustrating, to say the least.

Please, people, be your own advocate when at your doctor's and remember they can't "force" you to do anything. They work for you and they are not infallible.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2005 after one of those 5-hour glucose tests. In my case, I really did inherit it. I was already living a healthy lifestyle but took a diabetes education course and had a one-on-one appointment with a dietary expert. I made some tweaks to meal timing, meal composition and portion size and exercised as much as my multiple medical conditions would allow. Within six months, I was out of the diabetic range. About three years ago, I was able to get off of diabetes medication completely, and my A1C is still consistently under 6. This is definitely something doable for most people.

Wanted to mention one thing regarding sugars. Not all of them are created equal. Whole fruit contains sugar, but because it also contains fiber, it isn't metabolized as quickly as white sugar or high fructose corn syrup in processed food and is less likely to cause those dramatic glucose spikes that diabetics want to avoid. A diabetic can have small amounts of fresh fruit as long as the rest of the meal doesn't contain an excess of carbohydrates. Your body does need some carbohydrates to function properly, the best sources being fresh veggies and unprocessed whole grains. I agree with what some of the others have said about balancing fats, proteins, carbohydrates and calories. It's a juggling act, but an extremely worthwhile one.
  • sandrafondren
    Options
    stilltrusting that is awesome!!! Congratulations!!! That is a lot of weight for 4 months. What type of exercise are you doing? Congratulations again.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me I was pre-diabetic last year and class 1 obese. I have lost 39 pounds since then and no longer prediabetic thank god.
  • sandrafondren
    Options
    klbrowser You are absolutely correct about the different sugars and how they are metabolized. I've been working with a dietitian and she said to pair a sugar or carb with a protein to prevent a sugar spike. Such as adding some peanut butter (without sugar) on an apple. Congratulations!!!
  • sandrafondren
    Options
    Paulina1230 that is so great. I'm sure you are inspiring so many others through your hard work. Great Job!
  • dreamforme
    dreamforme Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am new to this pre diabetes. Does anyone have a set meal plan day by day i could follow. I feel so lost right now. Sometimes its overwhelming. I am the type of person who has to have everything written down in order to stay on track. I struggle with what eat in the morning and at lunch. and i need to watch my portions. any suggestions for a newby.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!