Do you ever wonder why you're never satisfied?

Options

Replies

• brizzlar
    brizzlar Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sugar_Pill wrote: »
    "It is possible that longing for something is better than actually having it. I’ve heard it said that satisfaction is the death of desire."

- Hank Moody

Ive heard this said before. I wonder if it supports the belief I've put forward? That is, we are never satisfied with anything we pursue, namely because we pursue created things rather than the creator. What do you think?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    brizzlar wrote: »
    down225 wrote: »
    "I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)
    This is my goal, learned through the process of life! Can be yours as well!

"There is a Possibility of freedom from suffering. By removing the causes of suffering, it is possible to attain a state of Liberation, a state free from suffering. According to Buddhist thought, the root causes of suffering are ignorance, craving, and hatred. These are called the ‘three poisons of the mind.’"
    Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living

It seems to me that there may be more than one path to the true God if there is such a thing. The core values of compassion, love of others, and freedom of want of material possessions are shared by more than one religion.

'More than one path' - a very popular perspective in the Western world. I'm curious to know to know how you came to reach thid conclusion too..?
    down225 wrote: »
    "I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.  I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little.  For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13 (NLT)
    This is my goal, learned through the process of life! Can be yours as well!

"There is a Possibility of freedom from suffering. By removing the causes of suffering, it is possible to attain a state of Liberation, a state free from suffering. According to Buddhist thought, the root causes of suffering are ignorance, craving, and hatred. These are called the ‘three poisons of the mind.’"
    Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living

It seems to me that there may be more than one path to the true God if there is such a thing. The core values of compassion, love of others, and freedom of want of material possessions are shared by more than one religion.

'More than one path' - a very popular perspective in the Western world. I'm curious to know to know how you came to reach thid conclusion too..?

I didn't come to any conclusion and I explained why I was speculating about there being more than one path. Your lack of answers to probing questions and flippant responses indicate to me a lack of sincerity and thoughtfulness. If you are sincere then I wish you the best of luck. I just don't see that sincerity.

Please remember that Christ's disciples gave up everything, took his teachings to heart, and sacrificed their lives. You're on a discussion board. Perhaps you should read those teachings a bit more.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    I just want to clarify something for everyone:

Im not wanting to treat Jesus as another fad or consumerable for people to try out.

What I am wanting to do is communicate three things:

1. In my observation, we seem to long to give ourselves to something outside outside of ourself. In other words, we seem to naturally worship things, to worship people.

2. Worshipping things and other people doesn't seem to be going so well for us. We end up getting hurt. We end up hurting others. Our societies do not flourish when we live like this.

3. When communities direct their affections and hearts towards Jesus Christ, we see people beginning to flourish. Not just individuals, but whole communities.

The sad thing is that many claim to be all about thid but never really live in community like this and so fail to represent what it really means to live as a Christian.

• sunnybeaches105
    Options

Im not wanting to treat Jesus as another fad or consumerable for people to try out.

1. In my observation, we seem to long to give ourselves to something outside outside of ourself. In other words, we seem to naturally worship things, to worship people.

2. Worshipping things and other people doesn't seem to be going so well for us. We end up getting hurt. We end up hurting others. Our societies do not flourish when we live like this.

3. When communities direct their affections and hearts towards Jesus Christ, we see people beginning to flourish. Not just individuals, but whole communities.

The sad thing is that many claim to be all about thid but never really live in community like this and so fail to represent what it really means to live as a Christian.

Matthew 7:1-3:

7 1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
  • brizzlar
    Options

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Thanks for the rebuke but I'm not sure that I judged people to honest... If someone has cancer, the most appropriate thing a doctor can do is to tell them. It may be unpleasant, but It is reality.

I think we all (myself included) have spiritual cancer there is one cure for it.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Keen to hear your answer to my original question to you..
  • FSLSBSmfp
    FSLSBSmfp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Lately it's because I'm not eating enough food
  • TestNamePleaseIgnore
    TestNamePleaseIgnore Posts: 295 Member
    Options
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »

1. In my observation, we seem to long to give ourselves to something outside of ourself. In other words, we seem to naturally worship things, to worship people.

Most people see The Son as a person and someone outside of themselves. They think being asked to direct their heart and attention to Him as directing those things to something or someone outside of themselves.

That's why Buddhism, as a religion, has more members than ever outside Eastern Asia. Membership is on the rise in the West because it's a self-based religion, or at least it's approached that way by the Zen community (which I've been closely aligned with for 25 years) and by the peripheral Western enthusiasts of the Tibetan traditions. I'm not advocating a self based religious approach, as I interpret Buddhism as a brilliant philosophy and a very effective form of psychology, not a religion or a spiritual system. Like I said, I'm Christian.

Also, as a Christian, I don't talk about Christianity to those hostile towards it and prone to mock it. I think Jesus would approve of that and there's a piece of Scripture in Matthew that backs that up quite nicely. I'd like to quote it here but that would be considered inflammatory so I won't. So I don't talk about it on MFP and the powers that be that moderate the discussion boards probably appreciate that. Also, the Christian Groups here on MFP are mostly sound bitish and include very brief prayers and short declarations of gratitude. They don't include cerebral discussions on the topic of Christianity or any debates at all with Non Christians. So for as long as this discussion is allowed to remain, I'm grateful for it.

But, getting back to what you posted above OP, hypothetically, if you were wanting to convey these ideas, especially to nominal Christians as #3 suggests, or to those folks who don't like hearing Jesus talk, maybe using the term Holy Spirit would be more palatable? Hearing about God generally annoys people, hearing about Jesus generally enrages people but hearing about the Holy Spirit usually seems more tolerable to seculars and people of different religions.

Personally, I think Christianity without deep study, meditation, and prayer discipline is very difficult to put into words. Thomas Aquinas, Francis of Assisi, Ignatius of Loyola, G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Merton and Edith Stein do a good job though - but deep study, meditation and prayer discipline were at the foundation of their work. And those are hard acts to follow.

What do you think?

It's frankly refreshing to read a post by someone who has put thought into their faith and is willing to step outside of their own religion and attempt to understand others. I was raised and confirmed in the Christisn faith, and fortunately trained by teachers with the proper education and, from my perspective, humble and open perspectives. I am by no means "anti-religion." What I am opposed to are blind faith based on nothing more than light reading, a feeling of superiority based on one's belief that one is "saved," an unwillingness to examine one's faith, and a refusal to recognize one's own limitations. I'm agnostic for the various reasons I've stated earlier in this thread. I know I am incapable of truly knowing the metaphysical and I accept that. That acceptance gives me peace.

I also do not see how religion is a necessary component for ethics, compassion, or an acceptance that material things beyond our basic needs and a few wants are not the path to happiness. For the record, I'm also absolutely not Buddhist. I have studied it while living in Asia, I also studied for s short time under a Rabbi, and I then proceeded to get an undergraduate degree in philosophy before finally deciding the whole process was probably futile (for me). I say this to simply make it clear that I'm not just trying to stir the pot.
  • brizzlar
    Options

1. In my observation, we seem to long to give ourselves to something outside of ourself. In other words, we seem to naturally worship things, to worship people.

Most people see The Son as a person and someone outside of themselves. They think being asked to direct their heart and attention to Him as directing those things to something or someone outside of themselves.

That's why Buddhism, as a religion, has more members than ever outside Eastern Asia. Membership is on the rise in the West because it's a self-based religion, or at least it's approached that way by the Zen community (which I've been closely aligned with for 25 years) and by the peripheral Western enthusiasts of the Tibetan traditions. I'm not advocating a self based religious approach, as I interpret Buddhism as a brilliant philosophy and a very effective form of psychology, not a religion or a spiritual system. Like I said, I'm Christian.

Also, as a Christian, I don't talk about Christianity to those hostile towards it and prone to mock it. I think Jesus would approve of that and there's a piece of Scripture in Matthew that backs that up quite nicely. I'd like to quote it here but that would be considered inflammatory so I won't. So I don't talk about it on MFP and the powers that be that moderate the discussion boards probably appreciate that. Also, the Christian Groups here on MFP are mostly sound bitish and include very brief prayers and short declarations of gratitude. They don't include cerebral discussions on the topic of Christianity or any debates at all with Non Christians. So for as long as this discussion is allowed to remain, I'm grateful for it.

But, getting back to what you posted above OP, hypothetically, if you were wanting to convey these ideas, especially to nominal Christians as #3 suggests, or to those folks who don't like hearing Jesus talk, maybe using the term Holy Spirit would be more palatable? Hearing about God generally annoys people, hearing about Jesus generally enrages people but hearing about the Holy Spirit usually seems more tolerable to seculars and people of different religions.

Personally, I think Christianity without deep study, meditation, and prayer discipline is very difficult to put into words. Thomas Aquinas, Francis of Assisi, Ignatius of Loyola, G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Merton and Edith Stein do a good job though - but deep study, meditation and prayer discipline were at the foundation of their work. And those are hard acts to follow.

What do you think?

I appreciate your sentiment (sorry don't know your name!) :)

Im well aware of how people feel about Christianity, God,.Jesus etc. I live in a city that Is more secular than most American cities :).

You'll notice that invmy initial post, I don't make direct reference to any of those names. For the sake of answerering/responding to comments, I had to use them.

I think Holy Spirit is unhelpful for two reasons:

1. The role of the Spirit is to point people to the Son. So to focus on the Spirit in favour of the Son would actually grieve the Spirit.
    2. The apostles focused on the Son - after all, it is the work of.the cross that enables restoration and salvation :).

• sunnybeaches105
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Keen to hear any thoughtful and non-arrogant response to my several questions to you. Your disregard for the deep meaning in the scripture I quoted to you is telling. You speak of your own failings lightly in your flippant response and then immediately proceed to speak of the failings in others. You judge others without quietly examining yourself. You cannot attempt to lead others with arrogance and pretend to be Christian.
  • brizzlar
    Options

What do you think?

It's frankly refreshing to read a post by someone who has put thought into their faith and is willing to step outside of their own religion and attempt to understand others. I was raised and confirmed in the Christisn faith, and fortunately trained by teachers with the proper education and, from my perspective, humble and open perspectives. I am by no means "anti-religion." What I am opposed to are blind faith based on nothing more than light reading, a feeling of superiority based on one's belief that one is "saved," an unwillingness to examine one's faith, and a refusal to recognize one's own limitations. I'm agnostic for the various reasons I've stated earlier in this thread. I know I am incapable of truly knowing the metaphysical and I accept that. That acceptance gives me peace.

I also do not see how religion is a necessary component for ethics, compassion, or an acceptance that material things beyond our basic needs and a few wants are not the path to happiness. For the record, I'm also absolutely not Buddhist. I have studied it while living in Asia, I also studied for s short time under a Rabbi, and I then proceeded to get an undergraduate degree in philosophy before finally deciding the whole process was probably futile (for me). I say this to simply make it clear that I'm not just trying to stir the pot.

Thanks for your honesty mate. No hard feelings from me :).

Id love If you'd be open enough to give me the benefit of the doubt and not assume that I'm an uninformed Christian :).
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Keen to hear any thoughtful and non-arrogant response to my several questions to you. Your disregard for the deep meaning in the scripture I quoted to you is telling. You speak of your own failings lightly in your flippant response and then immediately proceed to speak of the failings in others. You judge others without quietly examining yourself. You cannot attempt to lead others with arrogance and pretend to be Christian.

Wow.man why the attack?
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Wow.man why the attack?

Read your responses to my posts and the general attitude you show in this thread. You've answered nothing.
  • brizzlar
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Wow.man why the attack?

I did ask you a question first - normally one responds with a n answers and.then offers.theie own question.. Happy to engage with you but let's be mutually respectful here.

If I've offended/hurt you, please tell me how.so I can have the opportunity to apologise :).
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

What do you think?

Thanks for your honesty mate. No hard feelings from me :).

Id love If you'd be open enough to give me the benefit of the doubt and not assume that I'm an uninformed Christian :).

That response was to someone I find thoughtful. It was absolutely not directed at you.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    @sunnybeaches105

Wow.man why the attack?

I did ask you a question first - normally one responds with a n answers and.then offers.theie own question.. Happy to engage with you but let's be mutually respectful here.

If I've offended/hurt you, please tell me how.so I can have the opportunity to apologise :).

No need. One of the things I take issue with Christianity on is the willingness to continually forgive the insincere.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Thanks for the rebuke but I'm not sure that I judged people to honest... If someone has cancer, the most appropriate thing a doctor can do is to tell them. It may be unpleasant, but It is reality.

I think we all (myself included) have spiritual cancer there is one cure for it.

Says "I'm not sure I judged people," and then says "I think we all have spiritual cancer." It seems to me that if you have spiritual cancer then you should spend more time on you before proceeding to accuse everyone ease of your own failings. It's called "humility," and it's something Christ encouraged,
  • brizzlar
    Options

Says "I'm not sure I judged people," and then says "I think we all have spiritual cancer." It seems to me that if you have spiritual cancer then you should spend more time on you before proceeding to accuse everyone ease of your own failings. It's called "humility," and it's something Christ encouraged,

Sorry but I'm honestly not seeing how what I said it accusatory?

I'm actually not answering your questions yet because I asked if you could explain how you came to conclude that one needs a degree in physics before being able to have something to say about God (or to that effect)... Im more then happy to respond to the questions you asked of me in turn :smile.
  • brizzlar
    Options

If I could describe my own attitude: I'm seeking the well being of others. I'm someone who does believe in objective truth and as you've noticed that comes out in how I write. I understand if you have issue with objective truth - many people in our day do.

I'm keen to have non-heated and respectful dialogue about what I originally posted with anyone who's interested. Please let me know if that hasn't come across in my responses to you.
This discussion has been closed.