No more wine time for this little drunk duck

Soooo after a gain in pure lard of about 25kgs over a few years and many bottles of white wine, my journey to sobriety is beginning. So far I've cut back to weekends but Peter, Paul and Mary, if there's a bottle in my house, no drop will go unfinished. How do you 'control' your alcohol intake? What's your poison and do you think there's ANY chance of losing weight, exercising, calorie controlling AND drinking plenty?! Help!

Replies

• vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    @jsmoo1 thanks for your honesty.... Totally understand the 'vino or nothing' feeling. I think you're right; booze doesn't equal a healthy, lean body. I'm going to try and go totally without for a month (I have fatty liver disease too. Boo) and try the sparkling water with lime slices, lots of tea, going to bed early and perhaps taking a sleeping pill.... Let's see how that goes anyhow! I'll add you on my friends if you like and we can keep in touch and share tips :smile:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    @jsmoo1 thanks for your honesty.... Totally understand the 'vino or nothing' feeling. I think you're right; booze doesn't equal a healthy, lean body. I'm going to try and go totally without for a month (I have fatty liver disease too. Boo) and try the sparkling water with lime slices, lots of tea, going to bed early and perhaps taking a sleeping pill.... Let's see how that goes anyhow! I'll add you on my friends if you like and we can keep in touch and share tips :smile:

Why take a sleeping pill?
  • vanessaaorth717
    i am an alcoholic, i cannot diagnose anyone but myself. i have been sober 10 years. i go to 12 step meetings daily still. once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. if you cannot control or stop when you should, if you want help and really want to stop i would suggest A.A. not trying to be rude or hurtful to anyone, it is a touchy subject, but so prevalent in society today. if i am totally out of line, disregard. if i can help at least one person, great! best of luck in your journey! j

Wow, you've done some good, hard work. AA is probably not what I need, but I do agree that alcohol is definitely a problem in society. The old 'just don't drink' doesn't work for everyone!
    Thanks for your well wishes
  • tcay584
    tcay584 Posts: 55 Member
    Oh, the insomnia will go away within a couple of weeks. It did for me, but it was a tough couple of weeks and I took diphenhydramine almost every night for the first weeek. Once that sorted out, I found that I don't need as much sleep sober as I did when I tied one on.
  • vanessaaorth717

@Packerjohn I used to drink large volumes of wine at night, since going without or cutting back, I just can't get to sleep. I have a script for a Z class drug (not addictive like a benzodiazepine is) It's just hard lying awake until 2 in the morning and then trying to function! I'm Not the greatest sleeper at the best of times. Hopefully heavy exercise helps. Why do you ask anyway?

• vanessaaorth717
    tcay584 wrote: »
    I am the same way. I love my red, red wine and it hates me back in the form of flab. Life is unfair. I don't seem to be able to drink normally in that once I have opened a bottle....it will be gone. The big ones might take me 2 nights. I have had to cut it out completely. I have bought several flavors of MiO and other water flavouring drops and I "mix my drink" from that. I also investigates cucumber water and other ways of dressing water up. It actually does work and I feel better than I have in a long time. Funny, because I miss the thing that makes me fat and feel like crap the next day. Like a crummy boyfriend!

Too funny. Stupid love/hate relationships. How crazy when you say it like that "I miss the thing that makes me fat and feel like crap". We must be crazy!! :smile:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Are you trying to cut out alcohol because you are concerned you have a problem controlling your intake, or are you cutting it out because you believe you can't successfully lose weight while still continuing to drink in moderation? Because the advice you receive may differ based on your motivation and personal situation.
  • vanessaaorth717
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Are you trying to cut out alcohol because you are concerned you have a problem controlling your intake, or are you cutting it out because you believe you can't successfully lose weight while still continuing to drink in moderation? Because the advice you receive may differ based on your motivation and personal situation.

Hi @WinoGelato Not so much that I have a problem..... Well, I guess I'm not good at control if there's wine in my fridge. But then again, it's the same for pizza :smile:
    To answer your question, I guess it's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.
  • vanessaaorth717
    @KetoneKaren absolutely. Many medications shouldn't be taken with alcohol but this is true for any type of sedative. Even codeine! I certainly would not go down that path.
    Thanks for your well wishes. Appreciate it :smile:
  • Return2Fit
    Return2Fit Posts: 226 Member
    edited August 2016
    Soooo after a gain in pure lard of about 25kgs over a few years and many bottles of white wine, my journey to sobriety is beginning. So far I've cut back to weekends but Peter, Paul and Mary, if there's a bottle in my house, no drop will go unfinished. How do you 'control' your alcohol intake? What's your poison and do you think there's ANY chance of losing weight, exercising, calorie controlling AND drinking plenty?! Help!
    I mostly gave up booze, beer and all other type alcohol.

I'll have a glass of wine with a nice meal, but that is it. We're talking once a month...
    Booze to me represent empty, body killing calories, and you can now COUNT ME OUT of that tribe.
    My health and fitness goals are more to me than the fleeting pleasures of junk foods, including booze...
  • vanessaaorth717
    @Return2Fit awesome mindset. I'm thinking of flicking the wine all together. It's all about fitness after all. Stupid empty calories messing with my fat metabolism.
  • vanessaaorth717
    @WinoGelato Thank you! So appreciate hearing your story. I have been on MFP for 45 days now and have logged everything faithfully. I'm only on 1200 cal a day but it's working for me at this point in my 'journey'. Alcoholism runs in my family too and I believe it to be a genetic predisposition. I think I have made up my mind to at least try a month with no booze and evaluate from there. If I can be trusted to just drink one or two glasses after that, then great, but it's not worth it otherwise. Cheers!
    Vanessa
  • flimflam87
    flimflam87 Posts: 41 Member
    In Spain the recommended daily consumption of alcohol for women is 1 bottle of wine per day