The Poop Talk: Constipation & the AIP Diet

Options

Replies

• shoeoptional
    shoeoptional Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    BTW--the mineral oil was somewhat disapointing.
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Prunes work great for constipation and taste a lot better than mineral oil.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Tuning in for same thing. I take iron and it makes my digestive system go on an extended vacation. A probiotic worked for a while for me but not anymore.
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @jasperdog52554 I think I'm the same! Avocado works better for me than fiber capsules, powder, tablets etc.... Wow. I just put two and two together and realised whenever I'm on low fat intake is when I get constipated!
    I actually thought it might have been the protein powder shakes but I think you're onto something with the fat intake.
    Thanks!!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use organic Triphala it's safe to use everyday and really good for digestion and inflammation. Google it and see if it would work for you.
  • jasperdog52554
    jasperdog52554 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @vanessaaorth717 I hope that helps. Increased fiber always makes me feel bloated and gross. I do have to watch protein shakes for that reason. Anything with Inulin or chicory root fiber kill a my stomach! I always buy the simplest ones with little to no fiber.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    BTW--the mineral oil was somewhat disapointing.

As-in didn't work at all or well enough? Because it eventually has to come out the other end, it can't be digested so if nothing has happened it's still going to. It may work better for maintenance but I wouldn't use it but once or twice a week. And you can take another 3T dose the next day if nothing happened. Give it another 24 hours. After that I'd stick with lots of water and walking until something does. Magnesium Citrate is the other option, but it's generally pretty aggressive. Docs used to tell my mother when it got really bad to drink half a bottle of Magnesium Citrate. Um yea, I think the poor woman was stuck in the bathroom a whole day. She hated that doctor after that lol! I've never personally tried it. It's been a while since you updated hopefully something worked by now! (FYI - I'm not advocating drinking half a bottle of Magnesium Citrate, just passing on experience lol).
  • shoeoptional
    Options
    I appreciate the honesty. A friend suggested I try coffee based enemas.
  • Kurzweil
    Kurzweil Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Two words: Squatty Potty.

I was skeptical. But it worked better for me than even high-quality probiotics.
  • shoeoptional
    Options
    I'm doing 7-day colon cleanse. Day 4 of 7. Some movement but I expected more.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    +1 to encouraging getting enough fat in your eating, too, if there's any chance you aren't doing so already.

The things that helped me resolve a long-term constipation problem were increasing water, getting enough healthy fat, and exercise (especially exercise that involved moving (twisting, bending) the midsection). (I was already getting enough fiber.) Distributing the water, fiber, and fat through the day (vs. all at once or close to it) helped, too, along with probiotic & prebiotic foods.

Good luck!
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    15 days and no real relief despite mineral oil and assorted other remedies?? Are you kidding me? Talk to whatever doctor put you on the AIP protocol. You need medical attention.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Gena575 wrote: »
    15 days and no real relief despite mineral oil and assorted other remedies?? Are you kidding me? Talk to whatever doctor put you on the AIP protocol. You need medical attention.

I'd tend to agree. Up to you but if all of the things suggested in this thread have only helped minimally I'd seek the advice of a doctor, you may have a blockage.
  • shoeoptional
    Options
    I have a BM about every three days but nothing spectacular. I'm exercising daiky, eating healthy fats, and increased green leaf vegetables. The mineral oil and the recent 7-day colon cleanse yielded unimpressive results. F the doctors, they're no help and will cost me a fortune in copays and scripts. I'm exploring colon hydrotherapy by a certified individual.
  • shoeoptional
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I would like to explain that I no longer have confidence in the medical community and decided to empower myself and seek the council of those in the holistic community but no doctors. No more pills. No more return visits. No more dealing with insurance companies. Just me, a vastly improved diet, significantly more exercise, accountability and more joy. The cliche advice from doctors such as "just lose some weight and your problems will be solved" without a proper way to do it is gone stale. I can continue to afford to pay for my doctor's country club dues or explore wellness on my own. I chose the latter. I will only seek medical treatment if I feel like there is a significant problem. Otherwise, I'm doing this Invictus style. I'm going beyond healing my body but rather am choosing to heal my life.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    Doctors always have bias. My wife broke her leg a few years back, badly by stepping off a porch and rolling her ankle. Her bone shattered. She's a smoker so guess what the doctor blamed her brittle bone on? Smoking. Years later we find that bone loss has now gone into her hip and low and behold, her parathyroid was messed up. It was leeching all the calcium out of her bones. Had the doctor checked it years ago she likely wouldn't have the bone loss she has now.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Different types of fiber do different things in our bodies. Usually you need a higher soluble fiber to insoluble fiber ratio to prevent things like constipation. Are you eating a lot of veggies (and fruit) with soluble fiber. Possibly would help to add fermented foods like a good quality kefir or raw sauerkraut if you haven't already. Just some possible ideas that might possibly help.
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yogurt and oatmeal. If not eating dairy then get a soy, coconut or almond based yogurt product. If not eating grains sub quinoa for the oatmeal. However, oatmeal really gets you regular, a bowl a day or every other day is really amazing. If you've gone off grains due to not being able to digest them for some reason, try soaking oats overnight in nondairy milk with some nondairy yogurt. Bananas help as well. When I was constipated during pregnancy I ate oatmeal, bananas and yogurt pretty much every day plus took a stool softener, Ducolax (without the laxative magnesium citrate, they make both kinds). I think it was doxalamine succinate or something.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Know what makes ya poop? I nice cup of coffee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/11/coffee-laxative-effect-makes-you-poop_n_7546170.html

It'll be there for you when you've decided you love it again.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I states using a new probiotic and benifiber. . huge improvement.