sugar

Options
I do really good and don't touch sugar but then I usually binge eat sweets how do I stop

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    So which is it, you don't touch sugar or you binge eat sweets?

Log your food accurately, the good, the bad, and the sweet. Open your diary to public, then ask for help.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough calories overall. Under eating leads to binging.
  • HolDav1
    HolDav1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Here's how I did it....My doctor put me on a paleo AIP diet (go google it...it's like Paleo on steroids: Fish, Meat, Vegetables, Fruit, Nuts, Nut oils, EVOO, Coconut Oil, Herbs & Spices, occasionally honey. No dairy, no sugar, no caffeine, no wine or alcohol, no grains (including corn), no potatoes) for the arthritis in my knee. I went to www.paleomagazine.com for some amazing recipes....but the long and short is, I eat clean (no sugar), and eat fat (which a lot of people avoid). I drink lots. And then some. The worst was giving up caffeine. It took me a good week. After that, giving up sugar was really easy - I didn't even miss it. It's the weirdest thing ever - my kids can sit and eat chips and cookies in front of me, and I'm not even tempted - not in the least. And, after testing various hormones, she suggested I follow Dr. Wilson's protocol for adrenal burnout. Then she said she wanted me to exercise x2/week - swimming or recumbent cycling so there is no stress on my knee.

It's been 4 weeks since I started this. I've not counted calories at all - but I do log my food - the nutritionist my Dr. sent me to said to not even worry about the amount if I'm eating clean, just eat until I don't want to eat anymore. I've lost 12 lbs. AND I'M NOT HUNGRY!!! My arthritis is improved so much that I can now walk over 4,000 steps a day without it swelling or aching. I'm sleeping at night, and friends tell me I look healthy (I was white as a sheet...now I have naturally rosy cheeks - lol).

I don't know if it would work for you, or not. I suggest finding a great (holistic) doctor and nutritionist and asking them to find out what works for you and tweaking it so that you get the most out of it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Elimination diets back fire for me also. I'm not going to be (added) sugar free for the rest of my life, so instead I "allow" myself a treat every day. This makes me prioritize. I can't graze, I can't have as much as I want, but I can pick the thing that I'm craving.

Single serve sizes of ice cream, 100 calorie packs of cookies or individually wrapped chocolate squares help me manage portions.

All things in moderation for me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Maybe if you had sugar in moderation occasionally you wouldn't binge on it.

This. Elimination was always the reason I'd fail at restrictive diets as it would send me into a binge.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Maybe if you had sugar in moderation occasionally you wouldn't binge on it.

This. Elimination was always the reason I'd fail at restrictive diets as it would send me into a binge.

Yes! And then guilt and shame...
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to be on the AIP if you don't have an autoimmune disease anyway. If you're bingeing on sugar, it just means your body is starving for certain nutrients. Eat more protein like meat, avocados, and nuts. Your cravings will subside after a while. And learn to stop feeling guilty if you eat something you are trying to avoid. Nobody is perfect, life in general is a bumpy road, so mistakes happen. Everything comes with a learning curve.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    dwormly45 wrote: »
    I do really good and don't touch sugar but then I usually binge eat sweets how do I stop

Try thinking/treating of fruit as sweets instead, helps me alot. I'm also a binge eater.

Make sure you portion everything correctly though as obviously fruit is full of sugar. I have wee tupperware pots to put all my weeks food in so that i'm not taking the whole lot to work or having to portion it out at the time i'm craving whatever it is.

I'm also a fussy eater so actually getting into eating more fruit was quite hard (i like bananas and apples but could happily live without anything else). I space my fruit-sweets out over the day, for example, my sweeties are (half or full portion of: grapes, dried mango, coconut bits, satsuma/clementine, melon bits. Portion depends on whether i've got sports that day or not.

Instead of crisps I have mixed-plain nuts or 10g sweet and salt popcorn. If i need a chocolate hit, i have 1/4 or 1/2 a chocolate covered protein bar.
    I still have crisps just not every day.

There's no need to cut anything out of your diet, just plan for it. If you are really really into sweets, try getting really nice ones instead or the usual crap, like The Natural Sweet Company sweets, and then portion it out to 4 sweets for the day. Only eat them when you have a craving for them and pay attention when you're eating them. Then, also have a bit of fruit with them. So like 2 jelly sweets, 2 grapes. 2 chocolatey things, clementine.

Good luck.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have sugar cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated