Losing pregnancy weight

Options
Hey everyone!

Last year I had a baby and I gained 25lb during my pregnancy. I've always been a very active person and I eat relatively well (cheat meal here and there and a bit of a snacker).

While I didn't work out nearly enough on maternity leave, I've been back at work since March and working out regularly (anywhere from 3-5 days a week) and doing a combination of weight training and cardio.

I'm just feeling really discouraged because I'm getting nowhere it seems. Looking for advice on how to kick start my system after pregnancy! I'm going on a cruise in 60 days and would really like to make SOME headway by then.

Any advice?!?

Thanks!!

Chanty

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You mention nothing about counting calories. You can do all of the above (eat well, exercise regularly), but it becomes all for naught if you aren't in a deficit.

If you haven't been, start logging your food. If you have been, tighten up your logging. Make sure everything is accounted for and correct, use a food scale to weigh all foods, create your own recipes rather than use anything "homemade" in the database, and be mindful of how many exercise calories you log/eat back.
  • ChantDupuis
    ChantDupuis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I've been logging a long time now although I could tighten it up. And I realized recently that I shouldn't log my weight training because I think I've been eating back too many calories. So I'm going to be making that change.

I do try to build all my own recipes into the app I rarely use someone else's "homemade" one unless I am not home and can't remember the exact things I used!

Thanks for the advice!
  • killingthejiggle89
    killingthejiggle89 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I stalled until my daughter was 2m 2w,now the weight is dropping off.your body is still adjusting to being not pregnant
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I stalled until my daughter was 2m 2w,now the weight is dropping off.your body is still adjusting to being not pregnant

Yep. I have read research that said it can take a woman's body up to 3 years to recover from having a baby.

What part of your body are you trying to tone? If it is your abs, you might want to make sure you don't have diastasis recti before doing any ab workouts. You have to fix that before you can really work your abs.

Also, make sure you are eating a lot of protein and drinking lots of water. It will keep you satiated longer. Pair your protein with complex carbs or non-starchy veggies for sustaining fuel.

I wish you the best. I'm 3 years postpartum from my 3rd, and I have finally lost the baby weight. Working on losing the rest of the newlywed weight gain I put on over the past almost 9 years. Lol
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I've been logging a long time now although I could tighten it up. And I realized recently that I shouldn't log my weight training because I think I've been eating back too many calories. So I'm going to be making that change.

I'd still log it. Just don't eat back all the calories. Maybe only half of them?

Also, are you weighing your food? Some foods tend to come in portions that vary widely from what the label says. Bread, for example, might claim that a slice is 30 g but actually have 45 g slices.

I am also working on losing baby weight. Just exercising got me down 10 pounds but then I got stuck. Since I started logging accurately (weighing everything possible), I've started losing steadily again. Which is good because I still have 20 pounds of baby weight to go then another 20 pounds to get to goal.
  • ChantDupuis
    Options

I'd still log it. Just don't eat back all the calories. Maybe only half of them?

Also, are you weighing your food? Some foods tend to come in portions that vary widely from what the label says. Bread, for example, might claim that a slice is 30 g but actually have 45 g slices.

I am also working on losing baby weight. Just exercising got me down 10 pounds but then I got stuck. Since I started logging accurately (weighing everything possible), I've started losing steadily again. Which is good because I still have 20 pounds of baby weight to go then another 20 pounds to get to goal.

I don't have a scale but I should get one. Exercise has gotten me no where and I'm no slouch! I'm putting in 5k+ runs and doing high intensity circuit training as well as weights... I am SLOWLY starting to see the difference in my body but nothing is showing on the scale yet. I realize muscle weighs more than fat and it could take a while to see the numbers drop but I can't help but feel slightly discouraged.

I think I'll invest in a scale and be that much more precise with my portions.

Thanks!
  • ChantDupuis
    Options

Yep. I have read research that said it can take a woman's body up to 3 years to recover from having a baby.

What part of your body are you trying to tone? If it is your abs, you might want to make sure you don't have diastasis recti before doing any ab workouts. You have to fix that before you can really work your abs.

Also, make sure you are eating a lot of protein and drinking lots of water. It will keep you satiated longer. Pair your protein with complex carbs or non-starchy veggies for sustaining fuel.

I wish you the best. I'm 3 years postpartum from my 3rd, and I have finally lost the baby weight. Working on losing the rest of the newlywed weight gain I put on over the past almost 9 years. Lol

Okay haha not going to lie I had NOT heard it can take that long and omg how depressing! I am planning on trying for baby #2 later this year and I was SO hoping to be back to my old body before destroying it with another pregnancy.

I have been checked for diastasis recti and I don't have it (thankfully) so at least there's that. I'm honestly looking to tone all over not just my abs. And to lose the weight.

I've always been able to maintain easily as long as I kept up with exercise and eating relatively well. Now it just seems nearly impossible!
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    My baby is 13m and Im still carrying weight. Started the pregnancy a bit overweight as well.

I log only cardio- purposeful exercise...not my day to day stuff.
    I log 1/2 the time I actually worked out. Sometimes I eat all the calories earned if Im hungry or want wine or a treat sometimes I leave some uneaten; as long as Im satisfied and nutritionally sound.
    Im smarter about my foods and choose 6 small meals so I still get to eat often (i like that) and pick foods that keep me full longer.
    I will weigh/measure and portion out as much as I can in baggies- grab and go. Cereal, pretzels, nuts, etc.
    I also have 15-20 of baby weight and then 10 to get my goal.
    Lift some heavy weights when you can and move, move, move. Weigh and log everything. GOOD LUCK!
  • cmelose2016
    cmelose2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My son just turned 3 and I'm now 10 lbs lighter than I was before I became pregnant. That's a 60 lb total loss. Don't rush it. Your body is going through a lot. Stay consistent and the weight will steadily decrease.
  • auzziecawth
    auzziecawth Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity are you breast feeding? I found it impossible to lose any weight while doing so with all 3 of my kids. I was starving hungry all the time and even while counting calories my body refused to let go of anything. The weight would drop off once they were weaned though.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity are you breast feeding? I found it impossible to lose any weight while doing so with all 3 of my kids. I was starving hungry all the time and even while counting calories my body refused to let go of anything. The weight would drop off once they were weaned though.

^^yup. Exact same with me for my first. My second is 6 months and down to nursing about 5 times per day and I find I'm finally able to reduce and not be a starving hangry beast.
  • ProfDawnLee
    ProfDawnLee Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread. I will
    Be wanting to lose this baby weight soon after birth I hope! I will be nursing and it makes me so hungry. Hope it is easier to lose with baby #3. Feel free to add me everyone. Let's support each other.
  • ChantDupuis
    Options
    My son just turned 3 and I'm now 10 lbs lighter than I was before I became pregnant. That's a 60 lb total loss. Don't rush it. Your body is going through a lot. Stay consistent and the weight will steadily decrease.

I think I am being impatient haha. I'm not done having kids and I wanted my body back to "normal" before going through it again. But I'm seeing thats really not the reality. We aren't trying yet but we will be soon so I've still got some time to try.
  • ChantDupuis
    Options

I did breastfeed but she's 18 months now and we stopped at 6 months (ran out of supply)... I had lost 10 lbs after she was born and then it's all back and stubbornly refusing to leave!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 2 and I havent lost the weight yet, but that's down to me not couting calories properly and giving up on myself several times.