Training with tendonitis

Options
Hello, I have some pain in my left elbow, it is close to my foreaem video region. It is hurting, iv been resting for a week and icing it. It has gotten better but it's still sore, I was told just to train around it and do lighter weights. What would you recommend doing light weights or rest and ice.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Rest
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Accept that it sucks

Accept that it will take time (years) and may never fully resolve and may reoccur ..that's if you let it get too bad by ignoring the initial warning signs which sound like what you have

Rest, stretch, strengthen under physio guidance

Sucks sucks sucks ...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Rest from what ever exrevise is causing the pain. KT Tape will give up instant relief and will promote healing as well as allow you begin the exercise again. Tendons take much longer than muscles to heal just because of how course they are and the lower levels of blood flow to them.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would work on figuring out what you're doing to cause it. It could end up being a simple fix with an adjustment to your form.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    • Rest
    • Ice
    • Compression
    • Elevation
    • + topical NSAID like voltaren

In the future, id work out in ways that don't put too much stress on the elbow. But then again, you haven't told us if this is from overuse, improper form, an injury, etc.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Rest. I developed bicep tendinitis in my left arm from a mixture of my job and training. I was out for 2 weeks due to it. I was pissed and so was my boss. Don't push it, tendons aren't something to mess around with. Get some anti inflammation drugs from you're doctor if you feel like you need it.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Rest. I developed bicep tendinitis in my left arm from a mixture of my job and training. I was out for 2 weeks due to it. I was pissed and so was my boss. Don't push it, tendons aren't something to mess around with. Get some anti inflammation drugs from you're doctor if you feel like you need it.

I have been resting, it is getting better, I have been doing legs twice a week.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    • Rest
    • Ice
    • Compression
    • Elevation
    • + topical NSAID like voltaren

In the future, id work out in ways that don't put too much stress on the elbow. But then again, you haven't told us if this is from overuse, improper form, an injury, etc.

it hurt when I was doing pull ups.
  • Justme_1
    Justme_1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have some pain in my left elbow, it is close to my foreaem video region. It is hurting, iv been resting for a week and icing it. It has gotten better but it's still sore, I was told just to train around it and do lighter weights. What would you recommend doing light weights or rest and ice.

I had/have the same thing. Pull ups was my culprit. Took 8 months before it got to normal,
    I used lighter weights and higher reps. Eventuallly i tried pull ups again. Not a good idea
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Pulls ups, deads, bent over rows...these can all cause that problem.

When you return to normal routine, I would post a few vids. Form might be culprit. Also consider using thumbless, pistol grip, or lifting straps so you don't use you forearm muscle as much .
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you are not already seeing a pt for your tendonitis, I would highly recommend it. Icing it and resting it until you have some professional over site would be best.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    Also wearing a compression arm sleeve will help with discomfort. Tendons don't have much blood flow through them and are quite course therefore take loge to heal. The warmth of a arm sleeve will definitely help with the pain.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    If you are not already seeing a pt for your tendonitis, I would highly recommend it. Icing it and resting it until you have some professional over site would be best.

I have been icing it