Weight watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    Here's another problem...I am always hungry. I need more filling snacks and meals to get me thru day and avoid sweet cravings...any suggestions?

I am always looking for more snacking ideas. I usually snack on cheese, nuts, fruit, popcorn and raw veggies. I just bought a food dehydrator to make my own turkey jerky, so we'll see how that goes.

If you are always hungry, I would look at the quality of what you are eating first--- are you eating whole grains, protein,etc? If not, that could be why you are hungry. OR you could just be a grazer like me (hence the snacking! :laugh: )
  • denisepep
    denisepep Posts: 6
    Options
    MFP has really made me realise the link between exericse and food. Actually see the calories left to eat in the day is brilliant. Really focuses the mind. I do track the food as I go along. Also knowing that if I go slightly over my daily limit I can go for a walk or whatever and it's OK.

I've done WW a few times and lost a few pounds but I don't see it as sustainable. Maybe that's just my impatience.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have used MFP for awhile, and this is my 2nd week of Weight Watchers. So far, so good. I lost 5.8 lbs my first weigh in. A friend of mine has also been doing Weight Watchers and has had really great success with it.

So far, I really like Weight Watchers. In my 2 weeks on it, I have made accomplishments that I never made with MFP. The weekly meetings are what will keep me motivated until I find self motivation, I think. I am really happy I was at MFP first though because 1) I love the community here, and 2) I know not to abuse the free fruits!!

When health guidelines say 5 servings of fruits/veggies a day, you KNOW that 4 of those should not be fruits. The free fruits are tempting but my rule of thumb is no more than 2 servings a day. Without MFP, I never would have known that too much fruit is a bad thing! But as my WW leader says, "You didn't get here from eating too much fruit."

The activity points thing with WW really irks me, too (something else I have learned from MFP!!) It doesn't make sense to me to use activity points AFTER the extra weekly points. There is an option to use activity points first. It says to talk to your WW leader about it, and I am going to do that next meeting. I haven't worked out since being on WW (I know, I know.... :embarassed: ) but that is something I definitely need to ask about.

I use activity points always first. Good job on losing on first 2 weeks!!
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    I am definitely a grazer! But...snacker is such a better word. lol
  • thetrans04
    thetrans04 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i bought all the ww's books online and was dissapointed because they don't tell you how many points you get for the day (with the new pplus ) Does anyone know how many points I should be getting if I weigh 188 lbs. I am also nursing!!!! Thanks!!!
  • stoogeswoman
    stoogeswoman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was in WW for two years, both going to meetings and online only. I think it can be a very good and positive thing for some people - especially if you go to the meetings and are lucky enough to get a good, motivational leader.

My main reason for leaving is that I just couldn't afford it anymore, and stumbled on MFP, which IMHO tracks a lot of the same info and is FREE! :-)

But I will never tell anyone, "Don't go to Weight Watchers." They've been around a long time and they can work for you if you are willing to make the effort to count the Points.

As for the new system vs. the old, frankly, I think the new one is a lot more balanced and healthy. On the old Points system, you could get away with eating a lot of junk food.

For example, they had this big giant WW fudge bar that only counted as 1 Point.

Now that was OK except for the mentality some people got (not me of course! :laugh: ) that since they were "only" 1 Point, you could polish off the whole box (6 bars) and still be able to eat a lot of other stuff the rest of the day, with no problems.

Yeah right!!!

Well, now, under the new system, those bars are 3 Points - so if you binge on the whole box you've blown most of your Points for the day.

So you can still eat junk food but not as much. And I really respect their efforts to get their dieters to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Bottom line is, if it's something you're interested in trying and you can afford it, go for it! Just keep your account open here, too, as a backup! :wink:
  • stoogeswoman
    stoogeswoman Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i bought all the ww's books online and was dissapointed because they don't tell you how many points you get for the day (with the new pplus ) Does anyone know how many points I should be getting if I weigh 188 lbs. I am also nursing!!!! Thanks!!!

Did you actually join WW online, or just buy the books secondhand? You only get the Points formula and access to the online tools if you join.

You may want to consider joining online for a month, just to get that information. You can always quit if you decide not to continue.
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    I joined online. I found that having 0 points fruits and veggies, for most part, does make me eat more of them! But the support on MFP is awesome. I am finding myself on MFP more lately.
  • luvmycandies
    Options
    Well. After giving WW a 3 month try, I am sad to say that I dropped it. I cancelled the membership. I was not losing weight after the initial week. In fact I even gained weight a one point, outside of my vacation. I find that My fitness pal has more to offer and I have been more successful with this site in past. Also FREE. Thanks for all the information and support.